What is going on with stars?

by Kermo3

Original Post

What is going on with stars?

★ Pro

Yesterday, when I won a game I lost a star.

Then at night I ended at 3 wins and went to sleep. In the morning, when I look my game I saw only 2 stars remaining, over the night I lost a star again, even without playing.

What is going on?

It's impossible to advance in ranks in this manner, specially when Valk is killing you in every second game.

Not happy..

Frown

Message 1 of 16 (1,199 Views)

Re: What is going on with stars?

★★★ Guide
I must admit I’ve noticed a few oddities.

On this end, it seems to be related to connection issues. Sometimes, my phone will boot me from a game and I will not lose a star, but the next game I’ll win and I won’t gain a star, ending up where I started. Or my opponent will time out (probably also connection, hard to say...), it’ll display the “zombies (or plants - I play both, even in ranked) win”, but no star will be awarded.

So far the issue has been tolerable, but it does try my patience when I stay at 4/5 for multiple games.... or am not awarded a victory earned and then go backwards. I had not noticed or it was not consistently a problem last season.
Message 2 of 16 (1,174 Views)

★ Pro

This is usual connection problem, that after losing because of connection, in next game when you win you will not be awarded with star, but I saw this first time, that after winning I lost a star not gaining it and not even remaining at same level. And never saw that you can lost a star without playing. Last game I won and earned third star, went to sleep and woke up and only two stars left. Mystery Standard smile

Message 3 of 16 (1,171 Views)

★★ Apprentice
This is something EA admins won't even bother to reply to. They won't even touch it. I'm saying this to see if they might reply but I know they won't.

Many time I'll win and receive no star. On one occasion I won and I actually lost a star. Wtf? It is so frustrating. It takes forever to advance because of issues like this. I'm still at 31 since the new season started. I've received internet connection error messages and lost or have had stars denied to me even though I won. This is the worst season so far when it comes to technical issues like these. Ugh
Message 4 of 16 (1,110 Views)

★★★ Guide
I think it’s time EA rethought the connection issue thing. I get that you could disconnect to avoid a loss... but this is a casual-first format, and connection issues crop up often enough that a lot of players seem to be frustratingly treading water, spouting conspiracy theories, and getting generally unhappy about it.

If a connection error resulted in a win (for the player with superior internet) but not a loss (for the player with inferior internet), I’m not sure who that hurts. We’re all fated for the ranking of our choice, if we’re tenacious enough. One-sided connection-error wins might result in some more “cheating”, but not cheating that would result in losses for more-deserving players, or wins for less-deserving players. At the same time, it would alleviate a lot of frustration, which might ultimately be better for the game than people moving backwards through the rankings through no fault of their own.

If someone consistently disconnected to avoid losses, I feel like this behavior would also be possible to spot. No? No losses but lots of disconnects? If you wanted to, you could probably nab such a cheater in the end.
Message 5 of 16 (1,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice
Puntwothree I find your post hard to follow. You say it would alleviate a lot of frustration but I'm not sure what it is. Do you mean EA's rethinking the whole connection issue is it? So if they started to rethink it then things would improve?

My whole post has to do with the error message that states something is wrong with your connection or your internet or something along those lines (I've seen three different error messages so far). This is not about the message that states your opponent has disconnected after their timer is up because 99% of the time those result in an automatic win for you.

It's confusing why those who claim that players purposely disconnect to avoid a loss results in a connection error message for their opponent never explain how this happens. How exactly did the first player disconnect? Explained by simply stating they do not know how the player is able to disconnect to avoid a loss makes me wonder then how they are certain of the cause. It's all made up in their head. I don't think there's a way to avoid a loss. My guess is that one player closes the game which results in the opponent receiving the connection error message, but the first player that closed the app doesn't avoid a loss. Both players lose.

Then there are those who say they've never dealt with the error connection issue. They have never lost because of it. Are they not being honest or could it be that they've just been incredibly lucky to not experience it but might eventually?
Message 6 of 16 (1,080 Views)

★★ Apprentice
Also anyone notice a lack of EA administrator chiming in to try to help? They'll rush to the threads that have theories about hackers and people purposely disconnecting somehow or how EA is at fault but refuses to acknowledge it or fix it. With a star issue thread like this I would love to see a reply from them.
Message 7 of 16 (1,075 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide
I think my post may have been confusing because I may have tried to talk about things that are happening and things I would like to happen in the same breath.

Currently, the state of affairs is that if you’re battling and there is a connection issue, the game will display something like “connection lost” and then “[other side] win!”, and then you will lose a star and your opponent will gain a star.

What I’d like to see is a one-sided win when a connection issue happens. i.e. on your end it would display “connection lost!” but you would not lose a star. Your opponent would get an “opponent disconnected”, and gain a star.

From what I understand, a win equals a loss in this game so a player can’t disconnect from his/her internet on purpose (for instance, switch wi fi off and on) to avoid a loss (and thus a star loss). And wins and losses due to genuine connection issues should theoretically “even out” if everyone has the same number of issues, making the system seem “fair.”

But there are several problems with this.

For one, gaining rank requires a win rate above 50%. So even if I’m winning as often as I’m losing due to connection issues, I might be failing to advance and thus getting frustrated. Losing one game due to connection issues that I should have won means I might have to win at least 2 additional games to advance rank, at an opportunity cost of at least 20 minutes of my life (which assumes I keep winning, which assumes a lot), depending on what kind of deck I am playing.

Some people on this forum are convinced that there is a hack that some players use to win through connection issues. I don’t subscribe to this... but I also recognize my own limitations, understanding technology. Even the possibility of a hack is a much bigger problem than a player exploiting a one-sided win (disconnecting to avoid a loss, if that became possible). The hacker in this scenario is gaining an advantage at another player’s expense. If connection-error wins were one-sided, the same hacker could exploit the same hack and profit... but would not filch stars from his/her opponents in the process.

Here is the bottom line of my opinion. If connection errors were rare, I would not take issue with the current policy. In that case, stopping people from cheating (disconnect to avoid loss) to preserve the integrity of the game would supercede my occasional inconvenience. But connection errors are quite common... at least from where I’m standing. I saw at least one at every rank I’ve been on, probably. So I believe my inconvinience should supercede the integrity of the ranking system, at least until connection issues become less common. No one should be penalized for having a poor connection. No one should lose stars through no fault of their own.

Finally, when we talk about problems with stars, I think we’re all ultimately talking about the same thing. I think connection issues of one form or another are at the root of all the strange star calculations and stars gone missing.
Message 8 of 16 (1,045 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

"and then you will lose a star and your opponent will gain a star."

not true. the disconnecting player does not gain a star

Message 9 of 16 (1,030 Views)

★★★ Guide
I think the post is clearer now... but if it isn’t, that’s not what I said.

In the scenario ^^ “you” are the disconnecting player and “you” are losing a star.

If I meant to imply the “disconnecting player” gained a star, it would read: “and then you gain a star.”
Message 10 of 16 (1,021 Views)