What is going on with stars?

by Kermo3

Original Post

Re: What is going on with stars?

★★★★★ Guide

i still don't get what you are trying to say, but I will rephrase

- both players LOSE their star when there is a connection issue. 

Message 11 of 16 (728 Views)

★ Pro

@puntwothree wrote:

What I’d like to see is a one-sided win when a connection issue happens. i.e. on your end it would display “connection lost!” but you would not lose a star. Your opponent would get an “opponent disconnected”, and gain a star.

It would be very nice, It would be great if everyone were sincere, but, this would not work at all, Who remembers at the beginning of the game, when you lost like 10 consecutive times and the game gave you a pack? then everyone surrendered, nobody played, as soon as the fight began they gave up, and many of us wondered, why they did it, you know ...

if people find out that they do not lose stars by losing the connection, will force the connection error as soon as they see the first legendary, or see that their 4 initial cards aren't the best, it is without a doubt, a disaster, for that reason I respect the current system, although it is rough, it is the best, believe me, you can not trust the '' honesty '' of the players en masse, even when there is a karma system that calculates the players who surrender the most, this is more of a tedious job for EA. 

Message 12 of 16 (712 Views)

★ Pro

After having spent a few months analyzing all this, I have noticed certain things, I think it is important to share them here:

1. always wins a star when the opposing player leaves furious ''rage quit'': when the player is already seen that you have won, that you have played a certain card that has enraged your opponent, the countdown appears, a circle in the middle, until the message of "opponent disconnected" appears, you earn a star.

2. Your connection was lost, your modem stopped working or something, is the same case, the circle appears in the middle, only that at the end, it will tell you to check your connection. You lose a star, your enemy gain a star. 

3. third case: poor performance of your device, I've played with a tablet (it barely supports the game, it's the one I have to play outside of the computer), when medium freezes or there is a slowness, your game is slower than your opponent's game, finally your game advanced and quickly moved, unfortunately, it is out of sync, enters the turn of his opponent, does nothing, the circle appears, then it says that your opponent disconnected, the game ends, you don't receive a star. Simply, the server did not lose the connection with your opponent, it  just found that our game was misaligned by low performance, this is almost the same as '' there is a problem with your game''. This has happened to me many times with my tablet, when it freezes I know that the game is over and I will only lose a star, I have never received a star when the opponent appears disconnected for this reason. 

The other case is, when the circle does not even appear, simply suddenly appears '' check your connection '', however your connection is fine, I am believing that this is the same case, simply your game had a problem, perhaps bad synchronization.

my theory: since the last update, they have added many things, more features, the game is heavier and requires more performance, simply the majority of the devices are not supporting the game at all, and therefore, this error appears to many players, and even see their opponent disconnect, but they do not receive a star, because in reality their enemy did not disconnect, your game lost the balance. OR: this version has failures and causes certain games to lose that balance, It is also possible, I am not the one to affirm which of the two cases it is. I can only say that with my tablet, when it freezes, this happens.

even before all this, I think EA  or whoever is behind the game design could be more specific with these errors, and not show everything under a '' Connection error '' message, since all this mess has been originated by this lack of clarity, so that for many months, we will continue reading the same thing "there is a connection error I suspect, it is a hacker! '' over and over again.

Message 13 of 16 (707 Views)

★★ Apprentice
BlazinsZ how do you know that when you see the check your connection error message that your opponent gains a star. How do you know anything about their end if they are not there with you?

You seem sure that the issue could be players' internet connection. I checked my connection download speed as well as the pings and latency and whatever else the program measured and there was no issue with my connection. It was stable and fast, but guess what? I still get disconnected several times a day. Also, these disconnection issues are fairly new. I remember when I first started playing the game several seasons ago that I would never see error messages like the ones so prevalent today.

An older device could definitely be the cause of some issues. What I find weird about that is why a slower device would mean a disconnection of the internet. I would think that it would show as a slow game and slow graphics but my device never freezes and always responds to my touches quickly.

Players are quick to pick up on patterns in the game but not always the full spectrum of something like RNG. A player will notice all the times the block meter lost them the game but will easily overlook the times it saved them. For the check your connection error messages, I definitely recall that all of them happened at a point in the game where I had the upper hand or was a turn or two from winning. I remember because it always annoys me so it sticks out in my mind so don't you find it odd that it happens at those points in the game? I'm not saying there is hacking involved; what I'm saying is that there is an issue somewhere other my end because most likely the person closed the app or something which caused the disconnection.
Message 14 of 16 (699 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide
@BlazinsZ I don’t think I was around for the 10 consecutive loss thing. That’s not something I remember... but it does sound annoying. Rewarding consecutive losses is an odd decision...

And I agree that if the game were as I suggest, many people would catch on and try to take advantage. The thing is, you still have to win to advance. So I don’t see people quitting at the first sign of a legendary. To get from 30-50 is a minimum of 100 games. It could be some players would quit out of the app or close their modem, etc., until they got 100 perfect hands against 100 lesser-ranked opponents... but even then, there is >100% chance that they would win, and I’d like to believe players would realize that this strategy might actually take longer than just playing the game (in addition to being less fun and generally lame).

It is equally possible under my scenario that some players would be gifted a lot more “rage quit” stars, and advance through the ranks without hardly getting to play. While this would be a bit unfortunate, I find it a bit less frustrating to be conceded to than to lose a star after ten minutes of thoughtful play over a connection bug.

Ultimately, I think under “one-sided win” Ranked would look a lot like Casual. In Casual, you get a lot more rage quitting at present b/c neither player is “playing for anything.” However, it has been my experience that a lot of players will continue to play a game that has clearly spiraled out of their control, down to the last point of damage, or will concede only when they have a descisive disadvantage. In either case, I don’t think the player with the upper hand is hurt by a player disconnecting to avoid loss.

As the game is currently, I find I have to be vigilant and keep watching my device, because if I don’t scroll over my cards or click on them when my opponent is having a good long think (or has disconnected and rage quit), the game will boot me and I will “lose.” I think some people now just stall out their turn once they have lost in the hope that disconnect will save them... often on consecutive phases/turns. “One-sided winning” might actually improve on this problem. My guess is the same player (who perhaps does not have the most honor), would “rage quit” immediately (by disconnecting) to avoid loss under my scenario, instead of stringing me along and hoping for a game error.
Message 15 of 16 (687 Views)

★ Pro

hi @bythehill , I will gladly clarify things that may be misinterpreted from my previous post. 

first, it is my analysis, and I just wanted to share them so that everyone can analyze also, I said it: After having spent a few months analyzing all this, I have noticed certain things, I think it is important to share them here. 

with this I want to clarify that everything is based on my experience.

@bythehill wrote:
BlazinsZ how do you know that when you see the check your connection error message that your opponent gains a star. How do you know anything about their end if they are not there with you?

you're right, I do not observe it, I '' suppose '' that it is so, anyway, you are also assuming that the enemy does not gain anything, how do you know? you were there? no, the only way is to add the person with whom we played the last time and ask him, whether or not he/she won a star.

@bythehill wrote:

You seem sure that the issue could be players' internet connection. I checked my connection download speed as well as the pings and latency and whatever else the program measured and there was no issue with my connection. 

I'm going to put back what I said:'' The other case is, when the circle does not even appear, simply suddenly appears '' check your connection '', however your connection is fine. ''

At no time I said it was because of connection problems, since, (I'll clarify again that all this is based on my experience), my connection has always been good, what was wrong is the performance of my tablet.

I finish reminding you that it is a theory of me, and I also said:'' i'm not the one to affirm which of the two cases it is. I can only say that with my tablet, when it freezes, this happens. ''

I know that many of you have been losing stars inexplicably, in my case it has not been like that, when i don't receive, it is because of that detail that I told you, just notice if when it happens, the game was slow at that moment ?, that's all, it's information that I share to complete @bythehill , I understand that your case or that of others can be very different. 

Message 16 of 16 (685 Views)