Re: Unfair Matchmaking

by puntwothree

Original Post

★★★ Novice
IF ONLY I WAS ABLE POST SCREENSHOTS, I WILL POST ALL OF MY UNFAIR LOSSES HERE AND ELECTRONIC ARTS, YOU'LL WANT TO SEE THEM BADLY
Message 21 of 35 (1,641 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide
"YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW WHAT I WILL DO"

Will you go to the local meat market and buy a ham and proceed to make a ham and cheese sandwich? Will you mow the lawn? Sell lemonade? Ask that hot girl out on a date? How about go on a deep sea fishing trip and catch a nice bundle? 😊

In all seriousness, it's not a matter of level anymore, rather the league someone is in as a whole. Once someone reaches diamond league, welcome to the threat level of all the ultimate league players who just got a reset. I've made it to ultimate league every season since season 2. We start at diamond league. Once you reach taco league I've noticed only the strongest of metas thrive here. It's a totally different atmosphere. My 100% win ratio deck in diamond league got reduced to 60%. Players are in it to win.

My suggestion? Give new players one choice of a pre-made deck to choose from. There are a lot of great decks that work. One really good one is the "Pets with Cold Noses" deck. If I had all those cards, I would have a good chance overall. It's a solid deck to invest into. That or another one is the "Repeat After Me" deck. VERY strong and a great one to invest into. From there it would be up to you to collect the remaining other cards and branch out. In the current meta, I fear certain decks are stronger than others and the new player has no ability to respond to it properly.
Message 22 of 35 (1,631 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah, I think it does matter which deck you use. A level 1 person could have been someone who had previously been a rank 40 person. I was able to beat someone who was at rank 25 while I was at rank 7 (in the photo I had just leveled up to level 8 from beating that person.) I wouldn’t say it’s impossible to beat someone who is at a higher level than you.

Message 23 of 35 (1,619 Views)

★★ Guide
I literally just lost to a lvl 8 guy using a test build that had over 4 Legendaries in it. He was using a pet deck. Pet decks have such good senergy. They're extremely good to use in your early years. I think I remember using them during my first two seasons because they were so strong and cheap to play.
Message 24 of 35 (1,616 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@3AlanKing3wrote:
IF ONLY I WAS ABLE POST SCREENSHOTS, I WILL POST ALL OF MY UNFAIR LOSSES HERE AND ELECTRONIC ARTS, YOU'LL WANT TO SEE THEM BADLY

@3AlanKing3 As you level up more you’ll start figuring out out to beat the high level players, I beat someone from level 19 while the other player I was battling was at level 42. When you keep beating players near or the same level, the game figures out you need a more challenging opponent. That’s how the game works.

Message 25 of 35 (1,573 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Well thank you first of all for putting out this topic and talk about it because i was gonna make one and say how im so pissed off about this matchmaking issue,I want developers to hear us out and do something about this seriously it's getting really annoying especially right now that the season has renewed and it's neither fun for me or the rookie player who gets to play against me i mean come on like a while a go i was playin rank and for god sake 3 in a row i got Diamond players who are currently in silver and of course they are better, have stronger decks and more cards and whatever.The thing is neither i like to go against very high ranked players or neither a rookie player who just stearted the game it's nor fair what so ever and this has to change.I remember last season i went against a lvl 40 dia player while i was just lvl 14 silver or the time i was in brone and got placed against a gold player(don't remember the lvls exactly ).I just want developers to notice to this issue and make it at least a little bit better.
Thank you
Message 26 of 35 (1,444 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The problem continue to be the same, something was done about the balance between plants and zombie cards but there'are other things to improve.

The plants cards leave room for better strategies against zombie card that start to works at the high rounds.

Also if we compare the plants cards that costs 4000 energies to the zombie cards that costs the same, the plants are better (even if not only to start to play for seconds for example lions plants card) and the zombie tricks aren't so better than the standard plants cards. At the end if I use standard plants cards againts a zombie standard player who wins at the end?

Thanks

Message 27 of 35 (1,389 Views)

★ Apprentice

This got started at nov 2016, but to these days matchmaking still sucks, i'm now at gold league, and all the players that i'm facing are also at gold or higher league, but the thing is all of them seems like very experienced players with legendaries or just people with useful leggies, while i suck at playing with whatever i have, so i keep losing. Though i see the game let me faced inexperienced players and/or people at lower levels/league after some losong streaks, but after "just" 1 ein from wealer opponent, i got faced with the experienced again, and end up losing my star again, which make me ended up not making it to higher level, though with the help of building decks from people here i'm able to make it to level 26 with lots of stress and losing a lot of sparks to create the necessary uncommon/rare i happened to not own to be able to create that deck, which i'd say indeed helping....

Long story short, i want to add to this thread, to either make people to not lose star when they lose, OR to make a statistics of people wins and loses, also their streaks to make a better matchmaking. OR JUST whatever that can make a better and fair matchmaking where people don't need to be stressed in order to win, competitive is totally okay, but the thing is it's not competitive anymore seeing it's not just me, you know DD:

Message 28 of 35 (1,377 Views)

★★★ Guide

Here’s the issue with making matchmaking “fairer”:

To get from lvl 30 to lvl 50 requires 100 wins. That’s with a 100% winrate, which nobody has (no matter what they tell you). With a 80% well-distributed winrate, you need to play about 140 games. Minimum. And that’s still pretty high, and if someone tells you their winrate is 80% there is a good chance they’re not telling the truth.

So let’s say a good player who regularly makes Ult. league loses about 1 in every 4 games, and these loses are relatively well distributed. (S)he still has to play at least 160 games or so.

If you could only play players within a couple levels of yourself, this brings up two problems. 1), very significantly, matching would take a lot longer on average. And 2) you’d have to fight a lot of the same players repeatedly, and a lot more than you do now. 1) is enough of a reason not to change how matching is done. It would I’m sure raise the stakes on each game played and make the game and the meta more competitive and less fun. And 2), If you’re sick of seeing a certain name now, imagine playing the same deck 160 times while failing to advance (because that’s that player’s only way to advance.)

My idea in the past has been to have only Ult. league be its own separate thing. Once in Ult., you have no “need” to beat other players. I feel like once that goal is achieved it might make sense to have to tolerate longer wait times to find competitive matches.

Message 29 of 35 (1,186 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello @ebucube,

I have had the same issue that you describe above: handily win a match, just to get man-handled the next match, repeat all day. I usually take this not be an indicator of a poor matchmaking system, but rather a fairly good matchmaking system. If all decks are balanced (there is so much more that goes into that statement, but lets start somewhere), then it should be the players that make the difference. If I go against players that I wreck every time, I should move up in ranks. On the contrary if I am matched against players that trounce me I should probably go down in ranks. I don't think it is reasonable to expect to win every match that you play.

That being said, if you find yourself going 1-1, over and over again then the matchmaking system is doing precisely what it is programmed to do (match you with like skilled players).

Message 30 of 35 (1,076 Views)