Re: Ultimate Deck - Berries

by npgibbs

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

I get what you're saying; but to be honest, it really isn't as bad as you would think in practice (especially with troller flare).  You generally have a good turn one play (again, with solar flare), should the enemy play something; and about 12 useful cards for turn two (including currantt, the wild berry is more for late game to block an open lane and maybe get a kill, or to activate a strawberrian/sgt effect).  The others lower than 3 suns are not only useful, they're useful for the entirety of the game, which is where I think berry has an advantage over many of the other types of decks.  

Bean, flower, shrooms, etc generally require you to keep control over the board.  If you lose it, it's hard to take it back.  These cards can all actually help and do serious damage because of the synergy later game; not only helping you maintain control, but seize it if you've lost it along the way.

And...  ...I don't really think about rarity or event cards anymore.  I should if I'm commenting, but I don't.  I've just had all the cards got so long I take for granted that not everyone does.  I will try to keep that in mind.  That said, games are balanced around those with all the options, not some; so when we're talking about the ultimate berry deck, I do think event cards (which might as well just be sure rare cards now) and legendaries do warrant consideration.  And even if someone wanted a good budget berry, if still have them craft currant if they could afford it.  It's a really great card.

Message 21 of 29 (813 Views)

★★ Novice

I run those Garg throwing gargs with a lot of small minions to get me there, so lasting to turn 7 is rarely an issue.

Message 22 of 29 (765 Views)

Champion (Retired)
That's the absolute best card to run against berries right now. It's a great way to fill the lane and clear the berries off the board. It can be overcome, but you've got to have two sgts and a strawberrian on the board with enough berry blasts in hand to kill after the thrown Garg is off the board.
Message 23 of 29 (754 Views)

★★★★ Novice

If fights against berries ever went to 7 turns, they're doing something wrong.  They're basically game over by turn 5 against any zombie deck that can't take out the Strongberry in 1 turn.  Garg throwing Garg would be a nice counter if it wasn't way too expensive.

Message 24 of 29 (718 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I got to UL using Rose again but to try something different I am going to use SF and a berry deck. I got to 1/5 @ 30 using Rose but I won 5 straight using SF Berry Deck. And I see why people complain about berry decks. I tested it out in casual first and I lost some matches. But after some changes I am destroying people.

I use imitator because it absolutely kills because you can get 2 Strongberries on the board by turn 4. And in one match on turn 4 I got a pear paradise down, then imitator on turn 5 in pear paradise lane, then on turn 6 dropped a Strongberry to end up with 3 on the board and 2 being in team up config.

But in a strange way I blended Briar Rose with the deck and threw in elder Berry. Being a strikethrough berry is powerful if you have Strongberry on the board as he will attack both zombie in lane and Zombie hero.

I think I also may have been playing berry decks wrong. I am having a low of success minimizing the damage I take until I can get 2 Strongberries on the board and keep a lane open. Ideal starting hand is Berry Blast, Imitator, Strongberry, any card and Sunburn. Just do not drop Imitator if the Zombie hero can play a 2 or less attack removal card.

Message 25 of 29 (655 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It is interesting to see the difference in our decks, and that they're all effective.  After playing a bit though, I'm back to thinking they're not op.  There are a some strong zombie decks out there that can still crush it.  And while it does win quite a bit, you have to ask yourself if those people are playing high end decks that are as powerful as they could be.  I think the only thing berry may need is a rarity change, because it is cheap to build for as strong as it is, but there are more powerful decks out there.

Message 26 of 29 (626 Views)

★ Guide

@daalnnii wrote:

It is interesting to see the difference in our decks, and that they're all effective.  After playing a bit though, I'm back to thinking they're not op.  There are a some strong zombie decks out there that can still crush it.  And while it does win quite a bit, you have to ask yourself if those people are playing high end decks that are as powerful as they could be.  I think the only thing berry may need is a rarity change, because it is cheap to build for as strong as it is, but there are more powerful decks out there.

The reason why the deck is OP is the ease of which you can beat other players. The most difficult attack in the game is one you cannot defend against - direct damage. I just played a ranked match (Prof) and here is how it went:

Currant, Imitator, Cro-Magnolia, Peardise. I shuffled out the Magnolia and got Elder Berry. Got Sunburn.

Turn 1

Zombie passed (was hoping he played because you want a clear block meter)

I sunburned Hero for 3 block meter (ouch)

Zombie played draw 2 cards trick

Turn 2 (I have 3 sun)

I pulled a Strongberry (jackpot!)

I forgot what he played but it was a weak dancing zombie. I played imitator on heights.

I hit him for another 3 block meter (ouch)

Turn 3 (I have 4 sun)

I pulled another Currant

I play my Strongberry by the water lane and now I have 2 on the board on turn 3.

I hit him and only get 1 meter but the second Strongberry activates his block. He plays the draw 3 power.

My second strongberry gets his hits in and now the zombie is down to 3 health.

Turn 4 (I have 5 sun)

I play my Currant and then my Elder Berry on my Currant. Game over.

Really easy.

Message 27 of 29 (610 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

By that logic, do you consider a fully developed sports, pirate or pet deck op (granted, far from the strongest zombie decks, but very cheap to build, easy to use and can still do tons of damage)

Again, in taking fully developed.  You don't balance games around people are playing with only half the cards.  I can't tell you how many people from both factions cry OP in one thread, then ask for build advice in another only to say, "I don't have those cards, though".

When I play opponents with developed decks, I win some, lose some.  When I play people with half the cards, I destroy.  That skews people's perception towards op, without considering the fact not everyone has an equal collection of cards.

Message 28 of 29 (600 Views)

★ Guide

@daalnnii wrote:

By that logic, do you consider a fully developed sports, pirate or pet deck op (granted, far from the strongest zombie decks, but very cheap to build, easy to use and can still do tons of damage)

Again, in taking fully developed.  You don't balance games around people are playing with only half the cards.  I can't tell you how many people from both factions cry OP in one thread, then ask for build advice in another only to say, "I don't have those cards, though".

When I play opponents with developed decks, I win some, lose some.  When I play people with half the cards, I destroy.  That skews people's perception towards op, without considering the fact not everyone has an equal collection of cards.

Ease is taking many things into consideration:

1. Is it difficult to get the cards needed to accomplish the objective

2. Do you need to get a perfect storm of events

3. Is it easy to counter

Just look at how Cake describes his berry deck - no Legendaries. If you stack your deck with 4 copies of Strongberry and 4 copies of Imitator you have an extremely good chance of getting multiple Strongberries. You have a 25% chance of getting Sunburn and if you include 4 copies of sunflower you have a good chance of getting to play a Strongberry at turn 3. Strongberry is quite easy to remove though and does get knocked down for that.

I must admit I stopped playing the deck for now. After cruising from 30 to 32 I got beaten repeatedly. Went back to Rose and won 5 straight. I love a SF berry deck for the pure offense, great super powers that help on Turn 1, and increased sun but I am getting punished by trick heavy decks. Maybe the solution is to go with Captain Combustible Berry Deck to get umbrella leaf.

Message 29 of 29 (588 Views)