Re: These Decks are Fun!

by 904e8d29c3cd2aa2

Original Post

These Decks are Fun!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide
So apparently plants don’t like Valkyrie.

You know what Zombies do when we see Nightcap drop a Planet of the Grapes turn 2? We groan. A Briar Rose hiding behind a Sunflower on a Solar Winds? We groan. A Pecanolith dropped behind a Primal Wallnut? We groan. Sometimes we moan or we drool a little. That is, after all, about the extent of zombie expression.

But enough about things. This post is supposed to be about fun.

This season en route to Ultimate I tried something a little different. From about 35-44 I forced myself to earn my first two stars with plant heroes... mostly to see if I could (which I could). Also to ensure that the decks I thought were fun weren’t also lousy.

They weren’t! So here are the two decks (one for each side) I thought were the most fun to play this season. (The roots deck beat two consecutive Valk builds, fyi...) Word of caution: they may not be the winningest. But they can certainly win (I did).

Roots game plan: the essential combo here is to try to drop a Imitater turn 3 and follow it up with a Starch-Lord. I would play more Imitaters... but I don’t own them. You’ve got enough team up plants to keep them hidden from the light, and if you are about to drop a second Starch-Lord (for three total, or two if one has been destroyed), the amount of card advantage you gain is truly... an amount.

Impfinity game plan. So the concept of this deck was this: I’ve been thinking aloud for a long time that all of the fusion cards can be nuts in the right context... but I never liked Dance Floor. Well, Dance Floor can deal three damage/turn for 2, which is kind of great, and is difficult to trade up with turn two. So the objective of this deck is to further put its unblockable damage to use with Dr. What or Riding Raptor... or make it Bullseye damage with Disco-Naut. Again, I don’t have all the card support to make this deck quite like I want it... but it works just fine as is.

There are obviously lots of threads with decklists, and I’m not pretending this one is of any higher quality than any of the others out there. Just encouraging any reader still with me to Go Random and Enjoy.

(Two Poppin’ Poppies in Roots deck not visable in screenshot.)
Message 1 of 12 (2,900 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I'm in full support of decks designed to be fun. Playing this game isn't a job. You don't get paid for it. It's entertainment. So if you're not having fun, there's no point.

Message 2 of 12 (2,885 Views)

★★ Guide

Well done and thank you for sharing

Message 3 of 12 (2,824 Views)

★★★ Guide
@904e8d29c3cd2aa2 thanks for saying so!
Message 4 of 12 (2,812 Views)

★★★ Guide

I love just-for-fun decks!  They may not always win, but just accomplishing one impressive combo or seeing a skill work out beautifully can be enough!

Here are a couple I use:

Screenshot_20180416-004717.png

In this deck, the main goal is just to get a lot of Team-Up plants out at once while Go-Nuts is on the field!  The only thing is that this deck burns out if the game isn't won quickly, as it doesn't have great card draw.  The one sure-fire way to kill this deck is The Chickening.  

Currently, this version of the deck is really, really unreliable because I still need another copy of Go-Nuts.

Screenshot_20180416-004800.png

This deck is all about card draw.  Get Tankylosaurus on the field and suddenly all your Triplifications and Thinking Caps sow massive (and random) damage to your opponent!  Transformation Station and Evolutionary Leap are also thrown in to add to the chaos!  The deck's main weakness is its reliance on randomness.  Sometimes you'll get great, game-ending cards and other times you'll get two things:  diddly and squat.

Another weakness is that sometimes the card draw can be too effective, and you'll actually end up with a hand clogged with cards that you don't have the Brains to use!  (This is a very bad thing for this deck, because you can't trigger Tankylosaurus if you can't draw cards!)

Message 5 of 12 (2,743 Views)

★★★ Guide
Woohoo! A Nightcap deck that is not Cyclecap AND a Professor deck that is not Valkyrie? I think you might be on a roll!
Message 6 of 12 (2,722 Views)

★★ Guide

I'd have more fun if the dam, packs dropped me some of the cards I need rather than having to recycle, recycle, recycle. This year has been better since they are running the same event cards, as the recycle on those gives me a bit extra. Once I can get the legendaries I'm after then I'll be a happier bunny, and less stressy with the games, as it will be a bit easier. 

Message 7 of 12 (2,710 Views)

★★★ Guide
That was about as on-topic as a Jack-o-Lanturn singing Christmas Carols in July.
Message 8 of 12 (2,695 Views)

★★★ Guide
Root Update!

Garlic is here! Zombie players no longer need to brush their teeth. We all smell pretty much the same.

I wanted to do a little update showing how I’ve modified my root deck with the addition of Garlic. I’m including subtractions, additions, and rationale... or you could just skip to the picture.

Removed: 2x Grave Buster

Added: 2x Imitater

How come: This was always my plan. My zombie decks right now are pretty much how I like them, so I finally spent some dust and got the full set of Taters to go with my Starch-Lords.

Grave Busters got the axe first b/c they are conditional cards. They can be quite excellent, but I don’t like conditional cards as a general rule. I myself run more than a couple zombie decks that have no gravestones. On purpose.

Removed: 4x Veloci-Radish Hatchling

Added: 4x Garlic

How Come: Garlic doesn’t quite have the same dimension on offense, but this deck was not built to be fast. Garlic is a better control card. It’s got beef. It’s got... a little bit of bite. It’s actually one of the better options for protecting Starch-Lord. Most importantly, it fills a one-drop Root slot AND it has team up.

Removed: 3x Plantern

Added: 1x Veloci-Radish Hunter, 2x Primal Wall-Nut

How Come: Plantern is a good card... but it’s not a great copy target. With 4x Imitater, I felt the deck needed more/better targets in case Starch-Lord is not available. The Veloci-Radish Hunter I opened... the Wall-Nut I had to craft.

Of the two, I am absolutely loving Wall-Nut so far. Though it doesn’t quite fit the “roots” theme, it turns out 9 toughness/untrickable defends a Starch-Lord pretty well. It also has the advantage over Plantern of Team-Up (this deck loves Team-Up), and has the potential of giving Tater yet another copy target off the random Conjure.

Here’s the updated deck.
Message 9 of 12 (2,515 Views)

★★ Guide

Another great deck! Thanks again for taking the time to share. 

Message 10 of 12 (2,480 Views)