Re: The balance between Plants & Zombies

by patdk75

Original Post

★★★ Guide

@shepaman wrote:
I don’t yet fully know how I feel about the zombie buffs, but I do know that on round 2 of my last on they evolved a zombie into a 5/6 Jurassic Fossilhead. That’s kind of a huge zombie that only cost a total of 3 brains (1 for the original zombie and 2 for the Fossilhead) on round 2. And he’s untrickable so you can’t even lawnmower him (which, if you could, you’d have to wait til 4 sun which by then is already 15 damage deep.) He should either cost more, or be trickable.

Anyway, with regards to the Venus Flytrap requiring the plant to survive....if you’re going to require that for plants, I think the nurse gargantuar should be required to survive to heal also. It’s more frustrating now that he dies, still heals 6, then I lose out on 3 healing because my plant doesn’t live.

Plants get their share of early turn power, too.  I just played against a Captain Combustible player who, turn 1, played two puff-shrooms on the heights, as well as the superpower to give one of them +4 attack.  Turn 2, played the trick to give all plants on heights +2/+2.  So on turn 2, I was facing 10 attack and 6 health in one lane.

Personally, I'm a bit concerned about having cards that are 0-cost normally, without having to be affected by some other effect.  We'll have to see how it plays out.

Message 31 of 111 (4,593 Views)

★ Guide

It sure feels like the game became unbalanced and EA coming out to say there is nothing to worry about makes me worried. The truth always comes out in the patches.

Message 32 of 111 (4,530 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Pro
EA Roger stepped in because of the overwhelming amount of posts and heated arguments regarding which side had advantage. Before the expansion set came out, and before clique peas were neutered most complaints were directed at the plants.
After the update, it switched from plants to zombies, due to a couple very good cards that are low casting cost, thus making it difficult, and in some cases impossible to recover and get back in the game.
Thing is though, I am a zombie guy. Through and through, but I have got back into the plant side, and I climbed and made ultimate league playing either side, and it was still possible for me to level up with the plants just as easily as with zombies
Message 33 of 111 (4,495 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@patdk75 wrote:
EA Roger stepped in because of the overwhelming amount of posts and heated arguments regarding which side had advantage. Before the expansion set came out, and before clique peas were neutered most complaints were directed at the plants.
After the update, it switched from plants to zombies, due to a couple very good cards that are low casting cost, thus making it difficult, and in some cases impossible to recover and get back in the game.
Thing is though, I am a zombie guy. Through and through, but I have got back into the plant side, and I climbed and made ultimate league playing either side, and it was still possible for me to level up with the plants just as easily as with zombies

I’ve been a primary plant player since the begining and while I agree with you that plants had the advantage the last go around and it appears you would agree zombies have the power tipped in their favor, I would say that it has tipped dramatically in their favor. I did climb to ultimate using only plants once again but I would think it would be close to impossible for newer and especially f2p plant players at this point to do the same. 

Message 34 of 111 (4,456 Views)

★★ Pro
To be honest, I think that it would be difficult for any new players and especially f2p players, to even reach taco league.
And that is not to say that the new players aren't good enough, but more often than not they are going to face stronger players and cards they might have never seen before((other than in collection page) and that's what hurts the most for f2p... I have been there myself in this game when I started, and others that I no longer play, but that I was f2p through the whole time.
I do have to say though...when I first started playing pvzh, one of the things that I looked forward to, was seeing some of the cards in action that I had only seen in collection page. And that's the best way to get better. Learn from each game and I assure you that you are going to get better
Message 35 of 111 (4,435 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I just don't like EA coming in here and basically telling us to quite complaining and there is nothing to worry about. I mean he didn't even pretend to give out statistics. I wonder if they feel the threads were bad for business. Anyway its poor customer service to scold paying customers. 

Message 36 of 111 (4,418 Views)

★★ Pro
He didn't come to scold anyone. The forums were more or less calling out the EA reps or whatever it is they are, because of the massive backlash from clique peas, and nothing was ever addressed.
A few people on these forums were asking for something like this to at least calm down the mobs and hopefully clarify some of the misconceptions.
I still don't see how stats would help anything, considering that there is no difference between a "rage quit" and an accidental disconnect, or if a person conceded because of the UL badge or because they were facing 4 clique peas on turn 3, or two fossilheads for that matter.

All that would happen if plants had more wins by say a 60/40 ratio, every person that has been going off about one side being too "op" would now figure that they have numbers backing them up, and that just isn't true. Plants are possibly more popular with the masses, and so it could be that more people collect the plant cards with a higher priority than zombies.
That may not even be the case, but with blind stats it would be creating more problems then it would solve.
Message 37 of 111 (4,387 Views)

★ Guide

Attempting to look at win loss ratio is honestly not the way to go because there are too many factors that alter that statistic. It is a card based game so luck of the draw is a big factor. Different decks have dramatically different strengths and weaknesses.

I played both Chomper and Wall Knight to level 50 this time around while last time Wall Knight primarily got me there. Chomper has no water lane plants so you either go all and get rolled by barrel rolling zombie decks, or you put in some move cards like sweet potato and hope you get lucky like I do, or you water down your deck and put in whack-a-zombie, sweet potato, banana peel, squash, a whipvine and maybe a three headed chomper. The issue I have with the latter is you end up not being able to build a really good flower / heal deck that makes Solar shine with removal coming from Briar Rose.

The game is far from balanced and EA insists on creating outrageous cards in what I can only guess is to keep people interested. Maybe what they know is most people play plants and in order to help boost the game they want people to play more zombies. I dunno

A good Zombie deck always has the upper hand. Zombies play twice. And they get to have the last say in a turn and then play back to back from one turn to another which means with environments and evolutions it becomes skewed in their favor.

Zombies are harder to play while plants are more straight forward. I would love to see the stats in the Taco league where players have great decks and a vast understanding of the game.

Message 38 of 111 (4,311 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

If the game was really balanced, then when I try to play as a zombie I wouldn’t be waiting for ages only to get the message ‘no match found’ while playing as a plant gets a match right away! The game is definitely NOT balanced! I prefer to play as a zombie since those are the cards I have been  buying with my tokens (or whatever those lightning bolt coins are called.)

Message 39 of 111 (4,295 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@nangulo Can you still consistently win when you play as plants? See, because I wouldn't say wait times mean the game is unbalanced and that zombies are overpowered. I played nothing but plants all season, and made it to ultimate from 40 a few days after that most recent update allowed those of us who were down to play online again; so I was facing 50s and s3 decks the entire time.

I'm assuming you're likely good enough to do the same if you'd like. Meaning I was still beating high end current decks enough to make it to ultimate as plants. That says balanced to me.

The main problem, reverse of last season, is that zombies are easier to play this season. They can get powerful quickly, sure, but it's costly in cards. If you build your decks well, you can still win quite a bit. I've got quite a few winning decks that I cycled through on the rise, and there were a few plant heroes that I couldn't come up with good decks for levelling, but that's the case for both sides, really.

So, because it's seen as easier to get those wins, people all play those FotM decks, that doesn't make it unbalanced.
Message 40 of 111 (4,283 Views)