Re: Leaderboards?

by Gabochido

Original Post

Leaderboards?

★ Guide
This game could use one. Im UL 135 this season and was just wondering how many stars people normally get? Or the highest reached? Anyone know?
Message 1 of 10 (946 Views)

★★ Guide

A leaderboard would be nice. Basically anything that encourages playing at ultimate. To answer your question, I've seen youtubers with over 1000 stars, so I guess that's where the high end is.

Message 2 of 10 (910 Views)

★★★ Guide
I don’t think leaderboards are in the interest of the game.

For one thing, stars really don’t mean anything. Once you’ve reached Ult., all having stars means is that your deck has a win rate over 50% and you have some time on your hands. More stars means more time more than anything else.

So the biggest thing a leaderboard would accomplish is getting Ult. players to play ranked more than they already do and further polarize a player base (half of whom already complain that us UL players play too often and are frustrated with their ability to advance.)

You might also consider how you would feel if there were a leaderboard, and you weren’t on it.
Message 3 of 10 (892 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

Many other games like this have leaderboards and they are certainly popular. I find that leaderboards encourage more competitive play, which is good for the upper part of the competitive player base. Also, most people who aren't on the leaderboards aren't really interested in being in it. Those who do want to be in it, just have an additional encouragement to improve.

You make a good point that it is frustrating for those who haven't reached UL when they are matched up against UL players. A leaderboard won't change that in any way though, including not making it worse. That is an unfortunate problem with the current design of the league system and the small player base the game has. 

Message 4 of 10 (868 Views)

★★ Guide

Leader boards are needed but should only be able to collect stars by playing against other UL players. The rank system is *, because the match making mis matches too often. I don't want to play against UL player when I'm rank 20, 30, or 40 as they have nothing to lose except a star. So often when you are an UL player a lower level player will just concede and I don't blame them. Yes there is chance you might beat them, but if they have all the cards and been playing since day one, I highly doubt it. 

Message 5 of 10 (860 Views)

★★ Guide

This is not exactly well known, but UL players are usually an easier match than a taco player. Anyone in Taco league has a deck and skill that allowed them to get through diamond league, so that certainly puts them in tier 1 territory. More importantly, taco players are trying to get to UL and have a big reason to win. UL players on the other hand have nothing to lose, so they can concede if they want, they will also play experimental decks and usually they are more relaxed and make mistakes. 

Since UL players are only rarely matched against anything lower than taco league, it's not a huge issue, but my advice to those climbing taco: if you go up against a UL player, you're in better shape than against a taco player.

Message 6 of 10 (848 Views)

★ Pro

I have never liked the leaderboards.

Message 7 of 10 (838 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I'm still undecided regarding whether people sub-UL players should be matched with UL players. But if it means the game loses players out of irritation from bad match ups, it should be changed, because that's what's most important IMO. Leader boards seem like a good way to keep people playing, but only if more people play because of it than quit.

Message 8 of 10 (824 Views)

★ Pro

keep playing just to appear in a list of the ''best''... it's not my play style,  I would prefer that they add more emotion to the game, missions, new forms of battles or modes, better challenges.

Message 9 of 10 (787 Views)

★★★ Guide
@BlazinsZ all of those things are way cooler than a leaderboard....

But a leaderboard would probably be way easier to implement, now.

But it’s not a worthwhile add, unless it’s a worthwhile add.

And I don’t think it is.
Message 10 of 10 (780 Views)