Re: Game isn't very random

by z_elmo21

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game isn't very random

[ Edited ]
★ Guide
For a long time now I've suspected this game wasn't as "random" as claimed. Be it random bouncing, block meter filling, starting super power, etc...

So this season on my climb to UL I started keeping track what superpower I was given at the start (starting card only, nothing after). After 500 games it seems my suspicion was right! (it was the first 500 games of this season, there were a few disconnects I couldn't get and I'm sure a few i forgot but I was dedicated on my findings)

Here's the break down of what I recorded
(Solar Flare was my hero btw)

Sunburn =129
Weed whack =97
Scorched Earth =83
More Spore = 191

Not that I dislike 'More spore', decent for evolution but useless for fusion, but in my opinion it's the weakest of the 4. And low and behold it's dished out to me almost 40% of the time. Not so random if you ask me

What is going on here? Is 500 games not a good enough sample?

Now if I could do the same thing record keeping on the block meter (me vs them) where I get hit 5-6 before block to there 3-4 hits. And the infamous bounce a random plant where I swear 90% the time it's the exact plant needed to be bounced...

Wth people
Message 1 of 14 (1,574 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Guide

Matching to certain heroes more than others is another not so random thing. I can also have the same initial card options for more than one game. If it were random the chances of that happening would be virtually impossible. 

View in thread

Message 4 of 14 (1,682 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide

more spore us the worst super power ever to start with.. and unfortunately i have it as a starter most of the times.. just like you

Message 2 of 14 (1,539 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

100% agreed on the bounce a random plant will nearly always bounce the one needed. Same with the zombie that does 3 damage to random plant if it hurts the hero

Message 3 of 14 (1,536 Views)

★★ Guide

Matching to certain heroes more than others is another not so random thing. I can also have the same initial card options for more than one game. If it were random the chances of that happening would be virtually impossible. 

Message 4 of 14 (1,683 Views)

★★ Guide

We all like this game, otherwise we wouldn't be here on a forum talking about its good and bad points. We all probably spend too much time on it. But, for all that time spent on it it's hard not to notice these issues. I just wish the game would fix these silly issues, and actually improve on what it currently has, before adding more cards. Do not do new cards if having them causes tech issues, don't add cards if they aren't tested. If the cards were tested, you wouldn't need to nerf, or alter them. Add an arena for UL players, so that low level players don't get annilihated etc.  

Message 5 of 14 (1,517 Views)

★ Pro

I agree with @PRIMECUTS, but my Sunburn comes lately very rear, usually its More Spore, and I also agree, that random plant bouncing kicks the right plant 95% of the time Standard smile It's like I'm looking at the plant to kick and after releasing superpower it kicks the plant I was looking Standard smile Makes me think, maybe I have some superpowers on my own...

Message 6 of 14 (1,460 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I think they use secret eye scanners when deciding which cards to bounce :P It also seems like that from a group of 2-4 plants, the one I'm looking at always seems to get bounced :P

Message 7 of 14 (1,453 Views)

★★ Apprentice
So that's a sample size of 500 but you do state that there is margin for error and something else which I don't understand. You're assuming that randomness should give you around 100 for all 4 starting cards. I assume this because you point out the card you start with the most at a frequency of 191 is higher than the others. Randomness is random and cannot be predicted otherwise it wouldn't be random. If you think about it, 191 is very close to 25% of the time and don't forget about your margin error. You will notice any time randomness doesn't give you what you need or want to win but are more quick to forget all the times it plays in your favor.

So having said all that, there is one thing I find very interesting about this game when you take into account the number of cards there are. I don't like when by turn 3 my opponent will have 3 of say Astro-shroom on the playing field. That means that they either started with 3 or were dealt one or two Astro-shrooms since turn one but either way, the randomness there is more fishy to be than your small sample size. I mean there 40 cards so it's not impossible for this to happen but it sure is annoying.

One more thing about randomness. Computers/games can't think in a random way that is to say they operate from whatever we tell them to do. You can't code a game or computer to tell it to be random. It needs an algorithm that simulates randomness as best as possible. If you're smart enough, you can verifiably predict the numbers the game is using and therefore know the pattern and cards that will come into play. I know for Tetris this is very true. The pieces that fall aren't random but rather simulated randomness gathered from an algorithm. Players have and do crack this code and can then play the game knowing ahead of time which pieces they will be given.
Message 8 of 14 (1,428 Views)

★ Guide

Something I always try to thing of in times like this is the following "You only remember when bad luck screws you over-you rarely remember when good luck triumphs". The human brain has such stuck in its inner workings it would seem. Sure, sometimes I'll get angry when my opponent just so happens to block 2 times on 6 attacks(least amount possible to proc block twice), and get the exact two supers it would appear they need. But at the end of the day, the same thing will occasionally happen to me, I just don't remember it as well, as that is how our brains are made to work. The game truly is random, or at least as random as the random operator in the lines of code is(although the algorithm for that is pretty basic, 15-25 lines depending on the language), and for a company such as EA, even in one of their more neglected games, their RNG is just fine. Keep track for another 500 games, tracking either block meter, bounces, supers of you/your opponent, or all at once! I'd be interested to see what the community finds if we were all to do this, but I can guarantee you it is all random, no matter how frustrating the game sometimes is.

Message 9 of 14 (1,422 Views)

★★ Guide

I think that this game has very little randomness. I have noticed that it is usually the case that the game faces you several times in a row against the same hero. Then, change to another hero, and it's the same: you have to face this new hero many times in a row.

The subject of the Super-Block Meter is another case of lack of randomness (I have already claimed several times about this).

Still it is an entertaining game, but this ruins it a bit.

Message 10 of 14 (1,339 Views)