Re: Anyone who thinks Plants are balanced...

by puntwothree

Original Post

★ Pro

@npgibbs wrote:

Yes they can be destroyed. But after seeing HG drop an Octo Zombie on turn 3 I laugh at any topic claiming plants are balanced. Zombie players are capable of some of the most outrageous tricks and unfortunately they can occur very early in the game.

Only for 1 combo? you can called the whole saga unbalanced? ._. I'm sure that even that, it's quite difficult to achieve, many other things can be achieved more easily. 

I have 4 octo zombies from the beginning, I always get them in premium packs, I never managed to use them more than with a deck of many tricks with boogaloo and play he on turn 8, so, if you discover the way to play on turn 3, please tell me, lol,  i want to have that fun  and at least get profit of Octo. 

Message 51 of 80 (744 Views)

★ Pro

Forget it, it's not worth to try, I remembered that octo is beastly, so, obviously HG got him from chest, what is quite uncommon, It is not as such a combo or game strategy. It's not even worth it to take as an example,  it's 1/100 .

Message 52 of 80 (740 Views)

Champion (Retired)

You know what I've noticed while playing?  A lot of my opponents are using zero removal.  None.  I mean, your example of a doubled mint that was Lily'd and the +2/2...  A deadly could kill it.  Or alien ooze.  Or any number of combinations from a pretty deck that probably could have taken out Lily along the way. Or just keeping Lily off the board like you should have.  

But, none of that happens.  It's all zombies and environments.  

I don't know if it's the same from there zombie side.  But I know I will most of my games and could lose a lot more of people would carry some removal in their deck.

Message 53 of 80 (721 Views)

★★★ Guide

Octo Turn 3 is easy. (I said easy. Not reliable.)

You say your opponent used Chest. So (s)he probably also used Medula Nebula, which could come out turn 2 w/Terror Former? Chest/Nebula is one of the truly insane zombie combos on the surface: together they’re broken; apart they’re hardly worth playing. (I used to try, but no longer do it in any of my competitive decks.)

So +2 brains from Chest (assuming its cost was reduced). +3 from Vendor (assuming its cost was reduced and it was played on chest). Presto. 8 brains turn 3.

The reason Turn 2 Bad Moon Rising is much, much trickier than Turn 3 Octo Zombie is that you literally can’t go through Nebula.

So, OK: “Whoever thinks Zombies are balanced has never seen Turn 3 Octo.”

Here’s my counter. “Whoever thinks plants are balanced has never seen their tried and tuned Ult. deck beaten by vanilla beans & bounce by the EA AI.” (For those of you not in the know, by vanilla I mean “no abilities...”)

Are we having fun yet? :-)

Message 54 of 80 (711 Views)

★★★ Guide

@daalnnii, @everonewhoisntplayingremoval: You gotta pack removal, guys. Come on!

Message 55 of 80 (707 Views)

★★★ Guide

@daalnnii wrote:

You know what I've noticed while playing?  A lot of my opponents are using zero removal.  None.  I mean, your example of a doubled mint that was Lily'd and the +2/2...  A deadly could kill it.  Or alien ooze.  Or any number of combinations from a pretty deck that probably could have taken out Lily along the way. Or just keeping Lily off the board like you should have.  

But, none of that happens.  It's all zombies and environments.  

I don't know if it's the same from there zombie side.  But I know I will most of my games and could lose a lot more of people would carry some removal in their deck.

I carry removal in my deck, but there's no guarantee that you'll always have a removal card when you need it, especially in the earliest turns.  I suppose I could go the route many Solar Flare players do and just make 90% of my deck removal and never actually play any Zombies, but at that point, why bother even playing the game if instead of trying to win I'm just focusing on preventing my opponent from playing at all?

Furthermore, the existence of removal doesn't prevent cards and combos from being overpowered.  Suppose there were a 1-cost, 1/1 card with the ability, "Start of Turn:  You win the game."  Would that be balanced simply because a lot of removal cards could wipe it out before next turn?

Message 56 of 80 (696 Views)

★★★ Guide

@jj48car There are several cards with that ability. One I think is called QDCM. One is called Astro-Shroom.

Message 57 of 80 (691 Views)

Champion (Retired)

That's why I provided a much easier to come by it with deadly...  But, control decks are a thing.  They're a thing in just about every card game.  It may not be the finest to play or play against, but they are legitimate strategies.  

That said, it's always against plants.  Is Lily still really that much of a problem?  There are so many ways to kill that card the turn it's played, it's ridiculous to even bring it up.

Message 58 of 80 (687 Views)

★ Guide

If you are going to say the entire deck plants have access to is OP you really need to give an example instead of rhetoric.

And if the takeaway from playing an Octo Zombie cool story is the Octo Zombie then you are missing the trees in the forest. The point of the story is:

1. He managed to generate 7 brains on turn 3. Seven. And it was not an inmpossibly hard combination. With reduced brain cards and evolving zombies sitting on a Nebula you can generate a higher than turn brain count in a way that isn't difficult.

2. Teleport IS a problem. It breaks the mechanics of the game. The entire reason why Zombies get 2 cycles is because you are only supposed to play tricks on the last cycle.

But I see the pro Zombie players are not touching that point with a 10 foot pole. It is one thing to see a Zombie player get to 11 brains on turn 6 and then drop a huge trick but it is another when Zombie players can beat the brain count and then drop a high brain Zombie on an open lane during the trick phase that will either kill you right there and then or give you nightmares to deal with in the next round.

Being able to play Zombies on the trick phase needs to go away.

Being able to take your health above 20 needs to go away. 

Message 59 of 80 (681 Views)

Champion (Retired)
I just disagree. Both sides have some crazy combos that can seem overpowered, but get beaten everyday and have weaknesses in their own ways. The problem a lot of people have is that there may not be an answer in the style of deck you're running, so it's viewed as overpowered.

The other things people don't generally consider when coming up against these combos:. They don't always work because of card draw. For every time you've lost to that combination, you could have three times you've beaten that exact same deck and didn't even realize it because their cards just weren't there when they needed. There is, in fact, a luck aspect to this game.

There are certain decks that are stronger than others, that's a fact, and I would like to see a balance pass in the future to either bring care in line with others of their rarity, or just to change this stale meta as a whole; but that isn't too say I find any one mechanic to be so overpowered it can't be beaten. It's really hard to balance a game where luck, the player disparity in both experience and cards, and counter decks exist. Speaking from my own experience as someone with pretty much every plant card, I've beaten with and been beaten by just about every strong strategy out there. The game is in an overall good place, just a boring one right now.

As for teleport and over healing... They're both very strong mechanics that do work outside the normal game mechanics, but I wouldn't call them overpowered either, especially considering both sides have one of them. (In the case of teleporting, two actually). They're just things that make the game now interesting. Not a bad thing.

Message 60 of 80 (675 Views)