Re: Anyone who thinks Plants are balanced...

by daalnnii

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Anyone who thinks Plants are balanced...

★★★ Guide

...has clearly never had an opponent play Cornucopia which then spawned a Great Zucchini.  -_-;;

Message 1 of 80 (3,241 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Guide

So I think we all missed a grand opportunity here right out the gate when this thread was started.

There are lots and lots and lots of balance threads. Not including the officially sanctioned and stickied EA thread.  And the fact is that the game is pretty balanced all factors considered, that more people play plants right now, that plants probably therefore have a slight edge, and/but that may and probably will be reversed with the next round of nerfs/updates, so really it is a non-issue.

What we are missing, though, is a light-hearted thread for airing grievances.

When this thread was published, we had a template, which was: whoever thinks ... [absurd anectdote]. As in, “Whoever thinks plants are balanced has never been forced to bounce double astrovera at the start of zombie tricks.” (This has happened to me before w/Excavator Zombie. Astrovera does not scare me, but bouncing two of them in one turn is a poor way to try to win.)

Plant grievances were excluded, but did not need to be.

”Whoever thinks zombies are balanced has never seen a turn 2 Bad Moon Rising.” (I haven’t either, but it is possible. This is the combo player’s wet dream.)

...Anyone else want to start over?

View in thread

Message 45 of 80 (3,728 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Huh, I'm surprised you didn't just use one of the four thousand turn four kill zombie decks to avoid that situation completely.  The game is balanced; sometimes you're going to lose, get over it.

Message 2 of 80 (3,226 Views)

★★★ Guide

@daalnnii wrote:

Huh, I'm surprised you didn't just use one of the four thousand turn four kill zombie decks to avoid that situation completely.  The game is balanced, sometimes, your going to lose, get over it.

"Zombies have a few powerful combos that can do well if you manage to draw just the right cards at just the right time.  That totally balances the incredible synergy and consistency of Plant decks."

I'm sorry, but somehow I find this reasoning less than fully persuasive.  Balance isn't just about winning or losing; it's about making sure that the game is good regardless of who wins.

Message 3 of 80 (3,212 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Do you seriously think plants get exactly what they need every draw?  Huh...  That's an interesting perspective I'll have to take into account the next time I try to use logic in an argument.

Message 4 of 80 (3,209 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Btw teleport and zombot 1000 say hello.  (Playable AFTER plants on turn ten). 

I mean, if it's such a huge problem, play immorticia.

But let's face it, it just pissed you off because it's happened a couple times, which sucks, but...

Most people don't carry four copies of cornucopia in their deck because games reaching the tenth turn are rare, so carrying more than a couple is generally wasted space.  So, even if they do go to ten, they may not have it in their hand.  And even if they do, they may get * cards and not zucchini.  That's the nature of random.  

Message 5 of 80 (3,205 Views)

★★★ Guide

@daalnnii wrote:

Do you seriously think plants get exactly what they need every draw?  Huh...  That's an interesting perspective I'll have to take into account the next time I try to use logic in an argument.

That's not what I think, and it's not what I said.  I guess we veered a bit from the original post, but the point I was driving at in my response was that Zombies seem to be rather combo-reliant.  Many of the most powerful combos I've seen and that I hear people complain about tend to rely on one or two cards that have to be in place or else the entire deck falls apart.

Plants, on the other hand, seem to have a lot more synergy, and don't rely so much on specific cards.  There are certainly some cards they'd like to see pop up, but it's not going to throw off their entire strategy if they don't get them.

I am honestly a bit surprised to hear that double-digit turn counts are rare, as they're somewhat common in my games.  Occasionally I'll face a Plant deck that hits early and often for a quick knock-out, or one that completely falls apart and can't stop do anything to stop my attacks.  But far more often, the games stretch on into slugging matches.

Message 6 of 80 (3,149 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

I mistook you using the word "consistency" asking with "Zombies have a few powerful combos that can do well if you manage to draw just the right cards at just the right time," as saying plants always get what they need in comparison.  But I'm the end, both sides are only as consistent as the way the decks were built.  

As for synergy...  Well, play plants for a while.  You'll truly start coming across some crazy zombie decks that's have amazing synergy and a lot of win conditions.  Pet decks, sport decks, pirate decks, dancing decks, mustache decks, trick decks, bounce decks, deadly decks, etc.  They're out there, and they have a lot of different ways to win with each.

Sometimes we just can't see the answer for or favorite side because we never play against it.  I've played a cornucopia, gotten zucchini from it, just to have them play that exact combo I mentioned earlier.  So, I went from thinking I had the win, to having my board completely wiped and taking 9 damage to the face in the zombie trick phase, basically.  To make matters worse, they used teleport to add zombie to their empty hand!

Just as lucky as me getting zucchini...  I was miffed at my luck, not the player or the balance.

Message 7 of 80 (3,138 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I play plants exclusively and in my opinion it takes more skill to play zombies but zombies have some frustrating combinations to deal with as a plant player. There are too many to list but off the top:

Mixed-Up Gravedigger + cards like Pogo, Intergalatic Warlord

Escape through Time + cards like Galdiator, Pharoah

Frenzy + Strike through

Teleport, Monument, Jokester combinations

In my experience plant Q times are much longer than Zombie Q times. I believe more people play as plants than Zombies and EA has tried to make playing Zombies more appealing. My problem with the direction of the game is EA keep creating cards that break the fundamentals of the game or that make no sense.

Intergalactic Warlord is the most stupid card in the game. It is unreasonable that you can play a card that buffs every single card you have and will ever have. Other stupid cards are:

Astrovera - In the game you are supposed to have 20 health max.

Thinking Cap, Bird Of Paradise, Wizard - 4 superpowers

Teleport the trick and the zombie - breaks the reason why zombies have a second turn

Also Plants only have team up while Zombies have deadly, frenzy, graves, and overshoot.

I believe it takes more skill to play Zombies well because you have to manage your brains in the zombie phase and the trick phase. But Zombies can be very difficult to game plan against and have some difficult to deal with combinations.

Message 8 of 80 (3,126 Views)

★★★ Guide

I have played as Plants, which is actually part of the basis for my conclusion.  I've lost to all sorts of Zombie decks at some point or another, but the only ones that seem to consistently get the upper-hand seem to be Sports decks, and even that is really only because of one card:  Zombie Coach.

Another thing I notice is that most of the Zombie decks mentioned are based around an arbitrary keyword.  Pirate or Pet may look for other cards with the same keyword, but they don't directly affect the game themselves.  Most of the powerful Plant decks I see, however, do.  Freezing, Healing, Team-Up, Bonus Attack, etc. all start with taking already-powerful effects and then making them even more powerful by having other cards combo with them.

I'll also say that, from my experience, most Zombie decks are based around getting their own cards out and pumping them up, and trying to outplay the opponent's pumped-up cards.  Most powerful Plant decks seem like they're more about preventing the Zombie player from getting to play at all.  Put another way, Zombie decks seem to be mostly about preparing for the Attack phase and trying to out-attack the Plants.  Plant decks seem to be about making sure the Zombie player doesn't even get an Attack phase.

It's just getting to the point where if I want to play for fun, I play Zombies.  If I really, really need a win (like it's getting towards the end of the season and I'm close to going up another tier), I play Plants.

Message 9 of 80 (3,118 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I have two decks 1 has plants and one has zombie it's way too easy to win with my berry deck, for zombies it mainly depends on using a fast win deck unless you have enough cards to make a transformation /trickster deck .

Message 10 of 80 (3,111 Views)