Android update breaks Friends iOS crossplay (Oct 2019)

by JustGidman

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Android update breaks Friends iOS crossplay (Oct 2019)

★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Blueberry  @EA_Roger  @EA_Arrenai 

Anyone else having trouble playing a 'Friends' match between iOS and Android devices after the recent Android update? (my devices updated around 26 Oct 2019)

Since the update, I receive the following prompt when I try to connect a Friends 'vs' match from my iPad:

We've improved Challenges! Please update your game to the latest version, so you can challenge all your friends.

Thing is, I already am running the latest iPad release (v1.32.11). I checked for updates - nothing there. I went to the App Store - yep, version listed for download is the same as the one installed on my iPad.

Android to Android Friends 'vs' match works perfectly (both Android devices are on v1.34.5).

Does anyone know if PvZH uses the same version structure for iOS and Andoid? (ie; at some point there will be a v1.34.5 version released for iOS). Or do iOS and Android versions have nothing to do with each other?

As a test, I loaded PvZH on a second iPad and the Friends 'vs' match feature worked without a hitch (iPad to iPad). Installation on 2nd iPad receives above error when attempting cross platform play.

Contacted support and jumped through the usual totally unhelpful hoops (recommendations to uninstall/reinstall, links to the generic iOS troubleshooting page...). Eventually reached the conclusion that the Android version update was the likely culprit. They asked me to post on the forums so the moderators can pass on to the devs. Yeeesh. :-/

Please help! My second iPad is probably older than half the PvZH community so it absolutely drags (surprised was even able to install frankly).

iPad to Android is our best play option but at the moment it's dead.

Message 1 of 31 (5,428 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: PVZ heros vs not working

★★★ Apprentice
Thanks @EIDiabolo - seems to be working for us now as well.

Looks like iOS caught up to Android and now both are on version 1.34.32

Version history in App Store says iOS version was updated 2 months ago. Thanks for the heads up @EA_Arrenai @EA_Blueberry :-/

Given EA doesn't seem worried about keeping the app versions synced (and doesn't care about PvZH crossplay generally), I recommend disabling app updates on your devices to ensure the versions remain compatible.

On Android:
1) Go to the PvZH app on the Play Store
2) Tap the menu button (three dots at top right)
3) Ensure 'Enable auto update' is NOT ticked

On iOS:
1) Open Settings
2) Tap 'iTunes & App Store'
3) Under 'Automatic Downloads', ensure 'Updates' is NOT ticked.

NB: Presume this will keep ALL apps from updating automatically. Of course, you can manually update from the Updates section on the App Store but that's potentially pretty painful depending on how many apps you have and how frequently they update.

That said, if there isn't an outstanding PvZH update (which seem to be becoming less and less frequent anyway) you can safely just use the 'Update All' button and make the process a lot easier.

If anyone knows of a way to prevent an individual app from auto-updating on iOS please let us know.

Tagging others from this thread so everyone knows PvZH crossplay is back.

@TreyFlamezZ @abc1152370561 @TimODMO @Boondox_Ninja907 @bythehill @Orangetango09 @Ambislo

View in thread

Message 31 of 31 (1,243 Views)

All Replies

Re: Android update breaks Friends iOS crossplay (Oct 2019)

★★★ Newbie
@JustGidman I never considered the update for Android would cut the compatibility, maybe if we ask them from that direction it’ll shed some light because I’m currently experiencing the same?
Message 2 of 31 (5,330 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@TreyFlamezZ

Yeah, today EA Twitter support confirmed they're seeing the same issue. They didn't have an iPad to test (really?) but were able to reproduce it attempting an iPhone to Android Friends game.

They said they've passed to the relevant team (devs?) and will let me know if they reply. Though didn't sound very confident.

I asked when the next iOS update would release as presumably that would realign the platforms but they didn't have any info. Sadly, iOS update seems the most likely solution given the support state of the game.

Maybe it's just me, but seems pretty strange the Android update would release before iOS. Perhaps the PvZH player base is Android skewed?
Message 3 of 31 (5,322 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Message 4 of 31 (5,302 Views)

Community Manager

Hey, @JustGidman @TreyFlamezZ 

Thanks for the tag on this. It looks like it's indeed on the team's radar and they're aiming to address it in the near future. Standard smile

Blueberry.png
Message 5 of 31 (5,219 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Cheers @EA_Blueberry !

Appreciate a quick shout on this thread when the issue has been resolved.

PvZH is shelved for now.
Message 6 of 31 (5,204 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Blueberry @EA_Blueberry @EA_Roger @EA_Arrenai @TreyFlamezZ

Any movement on this?

Would be good to get in a few PvZH games over the holidays.
Message 7 of 31 (4,240 Views)

★★ Novice

I’m having the same issue. Would like to play with my wife who uses Android, I’m on iOS. Game version is 1.32.11

Please fix this issue! 

Message 8 of 31 (4,101 Views)

Community Manager

@EIDiabolo  @JustGidman  @TreyFlamezZ 

Do you know if the person playing on the Android version has a higher game version than the iOS user? It looks like if they are not on the same version or if the Android version is higher that could cause compatibility issues.

Blueberry.png
Message 9 of 31 (4,091 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Blueberry 

yes, her game version is 1.34.5 .

So the iOS version is missing an update ? 

Message 10 of 31 (4,073 Views)