Re: Xbox Gold Requirement for PvZ is WRONG

by z1dotham

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Well if EA wants to be known as one of those companies you have to read the fine print with in order to not get screwed, all I can say is - good luck with that.  rule number one in marketing - never stand in front of the train and cross your customer.

Message 11 of 22 (3,531 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It tells you something about EA and who you're dealing with when you have read the fine print, on some tiny obscure label at the very bottom of the box, in order to simply enjoy a product you've purchased fair and square (I'm in marketing professionally, they placed this label in a way that they know people will glaze over, just so they could cover themselves legally). I think it is safe to say that purchase of a product denotes ownership of something, at least its basic features.  That's just economic common sense.  I can understand requiring Live Gold for advanced features, but if someone purchases this product they should at least have basic access to the game, not just the load screen and the menu...  To charge for a game and leave me absolutely no options after initial purchase falls squarely with in the definition of bait and switch marketing (arguably illegal but certainly unethical).  What exactly did I purchase when I bought this game?? - the right to subscribe and continue paying indefinitely for their captive marketing??!!  This is exactly the * that bit Star Wars Battle Front 2 in the *, despite the fact that you still get basic features with that game.  EA may have covered themselves legally with Garden Warfare, but they have committed the ultimate marketing sin, they have crossed the customer, a transgression that is usually VERY expensive to find redemption from, especially when they hide and blame Xbox when they are called out.  THAT alone should tell you that they know they screwed up and this was a bad customer satisfaction move.  Standing in front of that train with their customer may be legal but it also results to market rejection, brand taint and a pissed off customer base - all of which will burn their profits.  Perhaps EA should have read THAT in the fine print of their customer focus groups before they listened to accounting and pulled this stunt! 

Think I'm full of smoke?  Guess how many people I ran into at game stop returning this very game along with me?  It doesn't even count those who are ranting about it with me online

Message 12 of 22 (3,530 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I agree wholeheartedly gamewizrd99. I just bought the game today for my 5 year old daughter. The fact that this is still an issue over 3 years later means that that haven't pulled their head out of their posterior and the game is still obviously on the market. Meaning the issue is still an ongoing problem. Having no access to any features of the game with a basic XBox live (Internet Connection) is ridiculous. I assume it has to do with not being able to do the micro-transactions that they love to get maybe you can only do that with a paid subscription to Xbox Live gold (ponders intensely). Come on EA get your "flowers" together and stop "jumping" your consumers over with "bullhorn" ideas that only try to thicken your wallets even after we have give up money for your product.

I see that they did in fact make it Xbox live only (No Gold) for Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 as posted on their website

http://www.pvzgw2.com/en_GB/news/essential-information-faq-uk

Can I play on my own?

For the first time, we’re introducing a unique solo play experience where you can play every single game mode either by yourself against AI, or with the help of a friend in local split screen. We’ll have more details on what else you can expect from solo play very soon!

Will I need Xbox Live Gold or PS+ to play the game?

You will not need Xbox Live Gold or PS+ to play the game. All local play features (solo play and local split screen), can be experienced with an internet connection only. If you want to jump online to play with friends you will require Xbox Live Gold or PS+.

So obviously they realized their mistake and corrected it on future versions. But what about fixing the problem that exsists on previous versions???!!
Message 13 of 22 (3,402 Views)

Community Manager

@Satxkiller As I said in the previous thread, Garden Warfare is an always online title and as such, it needs a constant online connection. If you check the front of the box you will see that it mentions that the game is online only. 

Darko.png
Message 14 of 22 (3,391 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
I want this game, but I can't get gold!
Message 15 of 22 (3,167 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i know this sucks as i have a ps4 you have to pay for playstation plus to play online, but microsoft and sony just dont care about their players they just want MUNEH

and popcap and ea cant do anything about it its just how things work

Message 16 of 22 (3,095 Views)

★★★ Newbie
It clearly says it on the box online only and on the back says Xbox live gold required
Message 17 of 22 (3,072 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Agree with the first response. It does not clearly state that a Gold membership is required. Solo play should not require that. What a rip off EA. You've lost a customer.
Message 18 of 22 (2,631 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I’m disappointed that PvZgw requires an Xbox Live gold. I just want to play it! Could you please send an update to PvZgw so it just needs an Xbox Live silver? Pleeeeaaaaaassssse?????!!!

Message 19 of 22 (2,126 Views)

★★★ Newbie

xbox one does but they never added it for 360... I have no idea why... 

Message 20 of 22 (155 Views)