PvZ GW2 Stopped Working on launch

by xavo100

Original Post

PvZ GW2 Stopped Working on launch

★★★ Novice

Hello, I'm trying to launch PvZ GW2, but it says it stops working a few seconds after I click play. All of my hardware on my computer are new and can run Overwatch at High graphics quality at 70FPS, so I should be good for that. If somebody can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 22 (5,225 Views)

Re: PvZ GW2 Stopped Working on launch

Community Manager

@xavo100 Hi, if you post your dxdiag that may help to determine where the issue lies. 

https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

It may also help to check your reliability monitor for any crash reports related to this issue. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722107(v=ws.10).aspx

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 22 (5,166 Views)

★★★ Novice

Here is my DxDiag.

Message 3 of 22 (5,160 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks. You certainly have the hardware for running the game. One thing I'd like to check for first is whether your slightly unusual resolution is a factor. You can check for this by launching in Windowed mode. 

To do this you can go to My Documents\Plants vs Zombies GW2\settings and open PROF_SAVE_profile with notepad. 

It's fairly big, but towards the start of the document you should see GstRender.FullscreenEnabled 1.

If you change the one to a zero, then the game should try to launch in Windowed mode. There are 

If the issue persists, a crash report -if it exists-may be very helpful. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 22 (5,155 Views)

★★★ Novice

I do not see the Plants vs Zombies GW2 file in My Documents.

Perhaps is there a way that I can change the screen to be windowed through Settings/Game Properties/Advanced Launch Options/Command Line Arguments on Origin?

My computer was wiped last weekend and only downloaded GW2 yesterday.

Message 5 of 22 (5,145 Views)

Community Manager

@xavo100 Just do double-check that we're in the right place, can you see the relevant settings folders for your other games here? For example there should be an Overwatch folder with Settings and Logs folders.

The command line to launch in Windowed mode changes on each game, and sometimes isn't an option. I've tested some of the standard commands and they haven't worked.

That said, I don't think this is a factor if it's crashing before it writes the settings file. Can you try a repair, just in case the game install didn't work properly? Right-click the game panel to get this option.

Can I also check if you have other Origin games, do these run without issue? If you don't have it already you can grab Mass Effect 2 for free as a test. If you don't have the Data/bandwidth for a large download you don't need to try this bit. 

I'd also be interested if there's a report for the game in the Reliability monitor. I suspect not, but it's worth checking. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 22 (5,114 Views)

★★★ Novice

I think I am in the right place. I do see my Overwatch folders in there.

I tried the repair several times and it still hasn't worked.

PvZ GW1 works fine and created a folder in My Documents.

I do not have any other game other than Overwatch and GW1 in My documents. Probably because all the others are on Steam.

I have quite a bit of disk space, so I guess I'll try Mass Effect.

I really don't know how to use Reliability Monitor, even after looking at Microsoft's website, but I got this problem signature from my most recent crash if it helps.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: GW2.Main_Win64_Retail.exe
Application Version: 1.0.7.0
Application Timestamp: 581be994
Fault Module Name: MSVCR120.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.21005.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 524f83ff
Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: 0000000000099070
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7e15
Additional Information 2: 7e15e807e3fe157317beccf49a014477
Additional Information 3: fd5c
Additional Information 4: fd5cb72140298e2a6be43a0e53c02db3

Message 7 of 22 (5,109 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the extra info. It's worth grabbing Mass Effect 2 because it's great, but you might not need to grab it for testing. 

Back on your issue, can you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2\__Installer\vc\vc2012Update3\redist and run the vcredist_x64.exe. 

Please also make sure your Windows is up to date. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 22 (5,107 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for replying so quickly Standard smile

I ran the program you told me to (vcredist) but clicking repair doesn't seem to do anything.

There were 2 "important" updates for my computer so I'm downloading those right now.

I have an idea. Could I duplicate my PvZ GW1 folders, name them the GW2 folder, and then try running the game?

Message 9 of 22 (5,101 Views)

Community Manager

Hopefully the Windows updates help, missing updates can certainly be a factor for this sort of thing and frequently pop up with new builds/fresh rebuilds. 

And no, duplicating those folders likely wouldn't help. If they're not getting created it suggests that the issue isn't resolution related, it's failing before it gets to that point. I seems my initial guess was incorrect, sorry for not being clearer.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 22 (5,089 Views)