Re: Cannot create an account due to being under age

by radio_49

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Cannot create an account due to being under age

★★★ Newbie

Plants vs Zombies says it is for ages 10+, but when my kid tries to play it on their sub account (he is 11) it wants him to log into his Origin account (which he doesn't have) and when he tries to create one it won't let him because he is under age. He literally cannot do ANYTHING with this game. Every click on the menu wants you to log in or create an account. WTF? No where does it allow you to log in as another Origin account or as a parent allow you to create one for them. Do we have to do this online on a PC somewhere?

Message 1 of 30 (17,027 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

Okay. After wasting a lot of time chatting with EA tech support yesterday, I actually got this to work. Here is how I did it...

Problem: You have a kid whose PSN account is a subaccount of your PSN account. Your PSN account is tied to an Origin account, but your kid can't play at all when logged in as themself because they aren't tied to an Origin account, which is required to play *any* mode, seemingly.

Solution: 

1) Download the Origin client for your PC or Mac. I didn't say this was going to be pretty :-) Log in as yourself, the adult.

2) Run the Origin client. Click on the button to see your Friends, then click on the button to "Add a Friend"

3) On the resulting screen, there are buttons to import Origin friends from various options, including PSN

4) Click on the button to import friends from PSN

5) Here is the important part. When you do this, it is going to ask you to log in to PSN so it can scan your friends and find friends that use Origin. The important part is: log in to the child's subaccount, not your adult account.

When you do this, it may or may not end up finding or adding any Origin friends, so if you actually care about that, be forewarned. But as a side effect, it ends up saying, "Huh. I guess that other (child subaccount) PSN account is also associated with this Origin account." So now your Origin account is tied to both the adult account and the child subaccount.

Once this is done, a really cool thing (in my opinion) happens. Not only does the child account work properly, allowing the kid to connect to Origin and play online, but it disables the in-game chat and messaging for the child account. For my purposes, this is actually really appropriate and smart. I think it is a shame that the integration is so nice, but impossible to find.

Hope this helps...

View in thread

Message 5 of 30 (18,232 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem..... went through updating account trying to match everything and still no luck... been trying for several hours

Message 2 of 30 (16,942 Views)

Hero (Retired)
You may want to contact Sony support since its sounding like a PSN account issue.
Message 3 of 30 (16,932 Views)

★★★ Newbie

my child account is a sub account of mine in PSN, so that shouldn't be the problem as per their agreements.

I went online as per Origin account screen prior to logging into game and created an account for myself and sub account for my child. I have linked my origin account to PSN as  per their instructions and continue to get underage login issues

Message 4 of 30 (16,919 Views)

★★★ Novice

Okay. After wasting a lot of time chatting with EA tech support yesterday, I actually got this to work. Here is how I did it...

Problem: You have a kid whose PSN account is a subaccount of your PSN account. Your PSN account is tied to an Origin account, but your kid can't play at all when logged in as themself because they aren't tied to an Origin account, which is required to play *any* mode, seemingly.

Solution: 

1) Download the Origin client for your PC or Mac. I didn't say this was going to be pretty :-) Log in as yourself, the adult.

2) Run the Origin client. Click on the button to see your Friends, then click on the button to "Add a Friend"

3) On the resulting screen, there are buttons to import Origin friends from various options, including PSN

4) Click on the button to import friends from PSN

5) Here is the important part. When you do this, it is going to ask you to log in to PSN so it can scan your friends and find friends that use Origin. The important part is: log in to the child's subaccount, not your adult account.

When you do this, it may or may not end up finding or adding any Origin friends, so if you actually care about that, be forewarned. But as a side effect, it ends up saying, "Huh. I guess that other (child subaccount) PSN account is also associated with this Origin account." So now your Origin account is tied to both the adult account and the child subaccount.

Once this is done, a really cool thing (in my opinion) happens. Not only does the child account work properly, allowing the kid to connect to Origin and play online, but it disables the in-game chat and messaging for the child account. For my purposes, this is actually really appropriate and smart. I think it is a shame that the integration is so nice, but impossible to find.

Hope this helps...

Message 5 of 30 (18,233 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Silly me... I followed the instructions for setting up a child Origin account before I read this.

Now I have a child account, that can't click on ANYTHING in the Origin client (seriously, even the "friends" button is hidden).

I have a PvZ game where even the "Options" menu is inaccessible and says "You are too young..."

I have paid AUD$50 for a game that is 100% legally able to be accessed and used by my child.  He has full parental permission and supervision... But cannot use this "family friendly" game I bought for his 9th birthday because NO ONE ever mentioned that being old enough to have both a PSN and Origin account means you are still not old enough to play ANY games.

Message 6 of 30 (16,831 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Excellent, thanks for posting this, it worked a treat, and saved heartache!
Message 7 of 30 (16,557 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much for posting this - why in the world is EA support so bad that I have to spend an hour searching for a solution to a clearly common and frustrating problem, and in the end the solution doesn't come from them, but another custome who spent a lot of time and effort to fix and then was kind enough (far more kind than EA) to post the solution here!

Message 8 of 30 (16,137 Views)

★★ Novice

I've stuck also, like  Zeafer79 

My 9y son can't play on his account PSN/Origin

On PSN I've got tied his subaccount to my. On Origin is the same,but both PSN accounts are tied to my Origin account. I've used davepawson solution, but with no effect. Or maybe with bad results: now all options are disabled in PvsZ for child. Earlier (without Origin account), son may played on Garden Ops.

There is no H.E.L.P form EA??!! Nothing?...

Message 9 of 30 (16,105 Views)

★★ Novice

PEGI rating for PvZ GW is... 7, not 10

Playstation link

PEGI link

Message 10 of 30 (16,092 Views)