Re: Warning! Cannot move data to new device!

by EA_Spectre

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Warning! Cannot move data to new device!

★★★★★ Novice

After trying for over a week to move my player data from my broken-screen phone to my new phone I have come to the conclusion that Popcap/Ea had planned this as a feature but never implemented it.  I have tried syncing with google plus, tried copying the data directly and it simply doesn't work.  They cannot even find my player profiles when I sent them the long alpha-numeric player ids from the two devices.

Just thought I'd post this warning on the off chance anyone was looking to upgrade their phone.  Upgrading means you start this game from level 1 ... again!!  

A shame that they never thought this would be a problem!!

Message 1 of 68 (78,215 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

Community Manager

Plants vs. Zombies 2 uses Google+ to sync your progress across your Android devices!  To enable this functionality, you will need to sign into your Google+ account in the game.

1. Launch PvZ 2.
  2. In the lower right corner of the main menu, tap the g+ icon*.
  3. You will be prompted to log in.

* If you have already logged in, your icon will instead resemble a gaming controller. You can tap it to view your Achievements and Leaderboard standings.

Did you log into your Google+ account in-game? What happened then?

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 68 (83,243 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

Community Manager

Plants vs. Zombies 2 uses Google+ to sync your progress across your Android devices!  To enable this functionality, you will need to sign into your Google+ account in the game.

1. Launch PvZ 2.
  2. In the lower right corner of the main menu, tap the g+ icon*.
  3. You will be prompted to log in.

* If you have already logged in, your icon will instead resemble a gaming controller. You can tap it to view your Achievements and Leaderboard standings.

Did you log into your Google+ account in-game? What happened then?

spectre.png
Message 2 of 68 (83,244 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

It simply does not work.  I tried it.  Does not work.  There is no way to specify a google + account prior to starting the game then its too late.  I did log into google + on both devices eventually but the new device never did anything but start at level 1.  Lost all my progress.

They should probably at least test this before saying it works.

I also want to say that its very dissapointing that it took nearly a month to get a response.

Message 3 of 68 (77,978 Views)

Community Manager

What exactly happens when you log into Google + on the old device? Don't you get the "Cloud Save" option?

spectre.png
Message 4 of 68 (77,973 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Seriously that sucks. I'm going through the same thing. I feel sorry for the people that go through this and lose the money they paid. Thanks for sharing. Ended my headache early. ... But let me go back to playing. Lol
Message 5 of 68 (77,631 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Hey just tried something. Once I logged on to google+ I clicked on the profile name in the middle and my old one popped up. I hope you find the solution also.
Message 6 of 68 (77,630 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I ran into the same problem, there is definitely no cloud option being offerred for me. I even tried using a app backup/restore, it copies the game with no saved data. When restoring the game to the new device, registering with my Google+ seems to do nothing but restore the trophies and other statistics that have nothing to do with all the levels I've opened up, all the actual game progress, not leaderboards and scores. This game seems to be saved in hidden folders that will not copy, and do not cloud to Google+.

I'm left with deleting the app from my new phone. Since it uses a fair amount of space, and having no interest in trying to unlock all the levels again. The only option to play this game, where I was in game progress, is on the old phone. It could have to do with not registering the Google+ account right away, starting as a guest, maybe?

However, Rovio's cloud save with registration on their Angry Birds Star Wars game worked even though I did not register till I needed to transfer. So PopCap and EA still have work to do if they want to catch up with the competition with being able to transfer, or better yet sync across multiple devices, all the game progress, at any point in using the game.

Message 7 of 68 (77,565 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello! I don't know if you've already solved this problem but I just switched from a Samsung S4 Active to a Note 3. I added the PvZ2 app and then connected by Google+ email. At first it created a new login ID for me (I had typed in my old one and it added a "1" at the end of it automatically) but when I clicked on the NAME my old login ID was still there. When I selected it all my data was right where it was on the old device. Hope that helps!

Message 8 of 68 (76,932 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I need to transfer  my progress from android to iphone plz really need help 

Message 9 of 68 (68,297 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

and what should I do if I have an iPad? My little brother uninstalled the app and after i reinstalled it, found out i had to start from the very beginning... I was at the very last area and waiting for the new one to come with the update and now i just have to do everything again? Thats really frustrating..

Message 10 of 68 (67,422 Views)