Lost all my progress and money :/

by unmints

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Lost all my progress and money :/

★★★ Newbie

Today earlier for some reason my Plants versus Zombies 2 app stopped loading. it would show the loading page at first them disappear and go back to my android's main page. After researching, I tried to clear the cache as nothing else would work and you guys are so inaccessible. This however led to my entire progress being wiped out.

I have spent at least a hundred dollars on this game? I use it as stress relief while studying, as I am doing now. As i get the impression you guys are no damn help but am I really to accept that I just have to start over and MAYBE this won't happen AGAIN? I spent because I wanted to progress, not to let it go to waste. I need this fixed or at least a refund I am a poor college student already stressed out and I kept playing your game even though it's a greedy money-grubbing machine but this, this is an outright callous scam.

Wonder if I'll even get a response lol. I've searched up a few threads on this topic and NONE of them had a response.

Fix it, OR. give. me. my. money. back.

Message 1 of 176 (189,342 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Lost all my progress and money :/

★★★ Novice

@geordimiss2 The only way I could get through when that happened to me was live chat.

Update: My profile has been restored (again).  Here is what tech support shared with me:

I have run your Player Id number through our profile restoration tool and your profile "David1" was restored.

Due to the nature how PvZ2 is saved any sudden disruption can cause a profile loss. Here are a few tips to try and prevent this from occurring in the future.

1. Always ensure you are playing on a strong and reliable network connection, personally I only play PvZ2 on wi-fi.
2. Try and limit the number of extra applications running co-currently with PvZ2, PvZ2 is a memory intensive game and if your device runs out of RAM it could cause a crash.
3. Make sure your device is well charged or plugged in, any sudden shut down can cause in a profile disappearance.
4. Finally, backing out of the World Map menu to the main menu and closing the game can also prevent this issue.

View in thread

Message 88 of 176 (79,607 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

I'm so sorry you're having trouble with the game on your Android device! Did you know that if you sign into your Google+ account on the game's main menu, your progress will sync to your Google+ account? That will allow you to recover progress from the last sync point in the event of an uninstall/reinstall.

Message 2 of 176 (188,844 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Are you ever going to acknowledge that there is a problem with the latest release and that it's going to be fixed soon? Several people have complained about exactly this behavior (splash screen, exit to Android home screen) on Google Play and in this forum after the release of the Far Future and Zen Garden update so that it's not likely an isolated issue.

My wife has a crashed copy of the game on her tablet as well which we didn't try to troubleshoot so far out of fear of losing the progress and money spent on gems, hoping that there will be a working version soon.

Message 3 of 176 (188,839 Views)

Message 4 of 176 (188,835 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm going to give that a shot. My wife's device didn't have a dead battery while playing but rather started to turn the device off while the game was active (displaying the zen garden). Maybe the sudden sleep mode caused the same corruption, though.

Message 5 of 176 (188,829 Views)

★★ Novice

If it works, please post it so others who have the same problem can see the solution

Message 6 of 176 (188,816 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Well, actually, we postponed this solution attempt in the hope that EA will release a fix that will not result in wiping the locally stored progess. The game was not synched with the G+ account before the crashing occurred. And, unfortunately, 50 gems were purchased for that game just a few of days before the game was damaged. These gems (or rather the zen garden slots purchased with them) will be lost because, unlike other purchases like plants, will not be available to other games connected to the same Google Play account.

Copying and restoring the folders during a uninstall/install apparently only helps with not needing to redownload the files again. The game progress, however, is apparently reset during the procedure. I've tried it with my phone where I don't have much progress to lose. And indeed, this procedure resulted in having to play through the tutorial and basic levels first before being allowed into the game menu. Apparently uninstalling and reinstalling creates a new game or player ID that doesn't match with information in the saved files.

In case a bugfix is not released within the next few weeks, we will sync her phone to G+ and from there to the tablet since the phone game has already progressed quite a bit and she would not have to start playing from the start again.

Right now I'm still hoping for a solution based upon this part of a support reply from PopCap:

"If you continue to have difficulty after trying the steps above, we apologize for the frustration and thank you for your patience.  If you would rather not risk the loss of progress, we are continuing to research the issue and aim to release a fix in a future update to the app."

The "steps above" are basically clearing the app data of the Google Play app and starting the game with airplane mode enabled.

Message 7 of 176 (188,810 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Superb - now the newly enabled sync with Google Play Games messed up also the game progress of my wife's phone, most likely to using identically named profiles on the devices connected to the same G+ account. Everything is back to start. What an awesome job. I don't think there will ever be any further purchase on PvZ2 after two far progressed games were ruined like this.

Message 8 of 176 (188,783 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This also happened to me... I did save my obb & data files (v2.1.1) before the update but adding them back to the new version will not restore my money or progress.  It does have level 4 open but it resets the game and I have to start all over... plus when I get to level 8 in the first World (Egypt) and complete it there is no 'World Key' to open up level 2... so I'm stuck.  I would like this fixed or my money back!

Message 9 of 176 (188,727 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Nope! i sync everyday and just today my PvZ account is gone.. all the achievements are still there but the plants , gems , costumes , and money are all gone

Message 10 of 176 (126,544 Views)