Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

PC Controls Update - Aiming and Flight

by EA_Ataashi

Original Post

PC Controls Update - Aiming and Flight

Community Manager

Hey All,

Thanks to all of the amazing feedback last weekend during the VIP Demo, we have some updates to share on PC Controls. These are updates for LAUNCH (15th Feb / 22nd Feb). Unfortunately we couldn't get these fixes in for the open demo this weekend.

TL;DR - Aiming uses raw mouse input. Flight & Swim controls are improved and more responsive.

Aiming

• Raw Mouse Input Fixed

• We found and fixed a bug that caused the symptom of negative acceleration

Flight and Swimming

• Increase Available Range for Mouse Sensitivity Options

• Flight and swim sensitivity sliders now allow for more than double the range it offered before. This allows different mouse DPI settings (specifically extremely high or low) to better fit into our in-game swim/flight sensitivity settings.

• PC Flight Box is now a Circle

• PC Flight Cursor is now constrained by a circle boundary instead of a box. This allows better turn/speed management as the distance away from center dot (which dictates the speed of your turn) is always the same maximum amount in any direction.

• Added Auto-Centering for PC Flight

• Added auto-centering behavior on swimming and flying by default for PC.

• When mouse input stops (after a delay) the crosshair will automatically return to center.

• Resolved bug with Sprint/Fly on Button Press

• We’ve resolve a jittering/FX spam issue bug that players would receive when playing with hold-to-fly (rather than toggle) option for flight.

• Raw Mouse Input is now achievable in PC Flight

• By setting Flight/Swim Response and Precision settings sliders to 0% you can now achieve raw mouse input.

• Default Flight and Swim Sensitivity Settings Updated

• All default PC flight and swim sensitivity settings are now tuned to 1200 DPI instead of 1800 DPI.

• Default flight and swim sensitivity changed from 50% and 35% respectively, to both being 40%.

• This is the same as having both set to 100% with our previous sensitivity tuning, and since swimming was lower sensitivity than flight it’s seen an even bigger boost in responsiveness at default settings.

• Tuned Flight/Swim Response and Precision Default Settings and Curves

• The defaults are now much closer to raw mouse input.

• Adjusted defaults for Precision / Response:

• 25% for flight and swim precision down to 15%

• 50% for flight and swim response down to 30%

• Tweaked flight and swim response to ease into the slowing down behavior close to center in a less steep way than before.

Once the game launches, we look forward to getting more feedback and we are prepared to make more improvements as needed

Thanks again for all your help!

Ben

@BenIrvo

[source]

Message 1 of 26 (4,208 Views)

Re: PC Controls Update - Aiming and Flight

★★★★ Novice

Thank you very much for the update on that Ben! Large smile

I genuinely do not know how the PC gaming community as a whole actually feels about the Anthem M+K gameplay. I saw some people had the same terrible experience I did, akin to a surgeon attempting surgery with what felt like cooking utensil accuracy and feedback (read "emulating a gamepad on M+K")... But I have also seen players desperately defending the current implementation, even though that usually came with caveats. In that situation, only EA/Bioware will be able to tell with sales numbers and player engagement post-launch.

I was really sad to see nothing could be done ahead of the open demo but the real question for me now would be how EA/Bioware plans on getting PC people back in the game post-launch in case the majority of PC players shared my views that the gameplay was tasteless on M+K? EA/Bioware made a conscious decision to call these two weekends "demos" and I reckon most people won't bother checking updates on EA forums. They certainly will not believe tweets claiming that something so fundamental that seemingly plagued the game since alpha is now magically fixed. So, is there a plan at EA/Bioware for that? I really hope there is one, unless of course I am just part of a minority of PC players that, for some odd reason, ended up being a complete outlier for the first time in 25 years playing PC games.

To illustrate the concern with the only concrete case I can safely say I know something about (my case that is), I ended up cancelling my Legion of Dawn pre-order last week (because I am one of these weird people that do walk the talk... if I think it is good, I will support and buy the most expensive package on offer... but if it is not...). I also uninstalled the game today, after trying again the open demo for few hours. The trigger, although I am not sure it is entirely relevant here, was the fact that my ingame mouse dpi plummeted, never to come back, after trying so hard to find somewhat acceptable settings, in what I assume was a bug I had not heard of. I tried repairing the game, nothing worked. So, I just gave up and uninstalled it. Now, the friend I got in for the VIP demo last week simply refused to bother with the open demo and had already uninstalled the game last week... These may (or may not) be isolated cases...

Despite all that, I genuinely hope Bioware will succeed with Anthem.

The Bioware team seems to be genuinely trying to be transparent and responsive and I do applaud that.

Best of luck! Large smile

Message 2 of 26 (4,152 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I agree with this. The idea of this as a demo feels confusing to me. I would think a demo would be there to help me decide whether I want to buy the full product or not. Before playing the demo, I was optimistic about Anthem, though definitely not die-hard. However, after having played the demo for a bit, the controls and UI are seriously off-putting, and it feels like the balance is off as well. After playing it, these issues have made me decide not to buy it, at least not as it is. "But wait!" Bioware says. "It's not like that! The full release has a lot of this fixed!" Okay, well, that's what the demo should be for, especially after they made quite a bit of fuss about it being a demo and not a beta test. But I'm not going to throw down the money hoping that they fixed the issues.

At least I don't think that I am having technical issues, though the game does not seem like it looks near as good as it should in many places.

I'm guessing that part of the idea of making this demo fully separate was to prevent people from datamining the full game? Hopefully they decide to have a demo later of the actual game with the updates, maybe as a timed trial or something. 

Message 3 of 26 (4,124 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Only ESC is working on my keyboard. Some bindings don't allow me to change them over to mouse which is really annoying. I've logged in 4 times and only been able to walk from the table to the door before all controls are lost.
Message 4 of 26 (4,099 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Joystick like  flight control with mouse is fundamentally wrong idea. It  never be good even  if you make  it more  responsive. Support hardware mouse or don't even go for  PC. Indy  ELEX  have  better flight control  then Bioware Anthem. Shame on you. Go play Descent 1996 to learn  about flight  control  in PC game. At  current  state it is not flight but cat pulled by the collar simulation.

Message 5 of 26 (3,969 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I've played two days, the second one has been a full 6h session with friends and all of us shared the same opinion: the game needs polishing.

I subscribe the op concerns. All of them.  Yesterday I wanted to uninstall, but today I decided to give it a second chance. I found some friends on Twitch and I joined them in today's game session. The experience was much better, but there's several areas in which the game shrinks for a PC user.

- Very confusing interface: this has been the worst for me. The feeling of everything being hidden, in wrong places or inaccurate. The forge was confusing as hell. I became nuts until I found the little R command in the bottom of the screen leading to the most important feature of the game, that is tweaking your suit. Chaning weapons, adding a second weapon, adding paintings... it is very unclear. Why not add an interactable area in the physical forge, and a "use" option that leads to the Forge? Why not managing your loot in your inventory? Why not sell your trash loot to an npc? Please make a full revision on how the main options of the game are displayed. It's so confusing finding  and selecting everything.

-Abrupt flight controls: I know this has been commented to death, but I must say it. They are too abrupt. In my first session I was getting myself in trouble all the time because of the flight controls.My poor fibromialgic fingers needed a long rest period after that. In today's session my experience was better, but I still feel the abruptness. When you stop is very forced, the overheating happens too frequently. Flight is meant to be one of the strong selling points of this game, it should be a lot smoother and enjoyable.

-Lack of training: As weird as it can sound, I felt I was non directed when I needed it and too directed when I didn't want it. I needed it when I first got contact with my suit. I was following the first quest and I was suddently thrown and matched witn unknown people. I couldn't even react. I could end the mission but everything was so forced, and it ended so abruptly. That was the point where I quitted in my first day. I think that play session didn't last even an hour. The game needs, in my humble opinion, a solo training chapter or mini quest explaining how the javelin works. The hub itself it needs a training place where you can practice and hone your skills without being in a mission or in matched adventure. I know you can practice in the non quest zones, but you feel that "non direction" a lot.

***The good***

Because not all are complainings, I enjoyed other features of the game. The famous "verticality", it was gorgeous being able to reach that uch high places in the game. You can choose positions more strategically and it adds another dimension to adventures.

I also loved the landscapes richness, the variety of flora and fauna and of course the buildings and architecture. It is a delight to explore the maps and find those hidden chests and public events.

If the controls and UI were clear, this would be an awesome game to play. Like it is now, I have mixed feelings : /

Message 6 of 26 (3,692 Views)

★ Guide

Thanks for the heads up.

Message 7 of 26 (3,925 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Well on the most recent Demo on Feb 1-2. When i aim at targets mind you i play with an xbox controller, Its like someone is controlling the mouse and just shaking it like a rag doll. Does it with all weapons. I end up not facing what i was originally shooting. So please update let me know if this will be fixed. I dont want to go back to xbox. But if its more stable i will probably want a refund so i can purchase all that i got on the PC for the Xbox.

Message 8 of 26 (3,851 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My opinion was erased 5 times while I was trying to post. Why?

Message 9 of 26 (3,818 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Alvider wrote:

Joystick like  flight control with mouse is fundamentally wrong idea. It  never be good even  if you make  it more  responsive. Support hardware mouse or don't even go for  PC. Indy  ELEX  have  better flight control  then Bioware Anthem. Shame on you. Go play Descent 1996 to learn  about flight  control  in PC game. At  current  state it is not flight but cat pulled by the collar simulation.

Well, in one of the bulletpoints, it promises "Raw Mouse Input is now achievable in PC Flight". Now I'm as skeptical as anyone, I agree that "stick emulation" will never work, I made a whole thread about it on Reddit, but if they live up to this promise then it would somehow skip the stick emulation, I guess. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Message 10 of 26 (3,817 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help