Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

PC Controls Update - Aiming and Flight

by EA_Ataashi

Original Post

Re: PC Controls Update - Aiming and Flight

★★★★ Novice

I was one of those that really struggled last weekend with my mouse input, and the balance with flying, and swimming, also seemed off to me. 

I learned to fly eventually, but I couldn't get into a fluid rythem

I'll give you an example. At the start of the Tyrant Mine, I was having real issues flying above and level over the first mine section. It would be hit or miss, If I could make it.

The same with flying above and level in freeplay over streams and such. 

Fast forward to the open demo. Its night and day. Even if they said they didn't change anything. My flying, and heck even my swimming game is so much better. I can do all of the above, and more.

For me atleast 90% of my problems went away this weekend. So thank you for being dedicated for making the experience on PC, as good as it should be and feel.

Message 11 of 26 (831 Views)

★★ Apprentice
I wish they changed this from "Battlefront 2 controls" to "Battlefield 3/4/1/V controls". Flying with K+M in Battlefield is easy and almost plugn' play feeling. In Battlefront 2 it takes lots of time tweaking setting and lots of practice. This is what we now see in Anthem. It needs lots of testing to find the optimal settings then lots of practice to master it. Of course once you have done all that it is possibly better than the Battlefield method but most players wont spend that much time and effort to become pro at flying/swimming. Keep it simple and go with the route that works great with less time and effort invested.
Message 12 of 26 (700 Views)

★★★★ Guide

If you take the time to adjust the Mouse for Flight & Swimming, it is easy to use and actually fun!

TQQdles™

Message 13 of 26 (679 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@DolnorNumbwit wrote:

If you take the time to adjust the Mouse for Flight & Swimming, it is easy to use and actually fun!

No it's not and never will be. Why don't you show your gorgeous fly in start of stronghold mission?

It's for straight forward fly only with  a lot of free space, with no obstacles  and with no enemies. As  you clearly show.

Message 14 of 26 (607 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@Alvider 

Sry to hear you have problems, but it seems to be a experience problem.

for example i played warthunder with this kind of mouse joystick for a long time and had no problems with flying in Anthem, while it was and still is impossible for me to fly in Battlefield or Battlefront 2.

i think the new changes could be helpful for you, leaving me to fear this auto mouse center function.

I cannot pull up my mouse change position to do the same motion again and again like you need to do in Battlefield and -front.

@EA_Ataashi 

will we be able to disable this „Auto center mouse“ function?

Message 15 of 26 (592 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Kyle_Ragnador wrote:

@Alvider 

Sry to hear you have problems, but it seems to be a experience problem.

No it  isn't. I manage  this "straight flight" when I play closed alpha,  and  back then control was far less responsive.

Still mouse joystick is sack-race. It can be fun when  it  race  game.  And it will never be fun when it not about race. Challenging control  just stupid idea in Anthem's case.

PC game have hardware mouse control. Bad console  port  have  joystick  emulation.

Again, you don't have flying problem in demo at stronghold start location, don't you? You fly through the the cave and never fall  to the mines?  I manage it 1 or 2 times in 18 hours playing stronghold runs.

Message 16 of 26 (579 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Zimnel
You said that "The game needs, in my humble opinion, a solo training chapter or mini quest explaining how the javelin works."
just for your info, the "training" or tutorial its at the start of the game, during that demo you were already at lvl 10 and with the prologue and tutorial already done, if you played the alpha on december you had the chance to see the very start of the game, and i can confirm that the tutorial of the javelin is there :P

Message 17 of 26 (565 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@3moe4ita 

Yeah and no stupid follow the rings, press ctrl for a barrelroll rhing.

But i still fear the fifa19 leg animation for the striders, which didn‘t even shake the ground like they only weight 50 kg. Devil really hope they changed it.

How i loved the:  king of *spoilers* part Angel

Sidenote: I still think that around 8-15% will have heavy problems completing the tutorial if they use the alpha tutorial difficulty and not the demo difficulty. 

Message 18 of 26 (544 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

While I agree flight and swim need a fair bit of work, by the end of the open demo I felt I had control of at least flight. Not hugly dynamic but certainly pond skimming, tight turns round masts etc. I could move freely, land one footed on tops of objects/ledges, duck and dive into action etc all felt like I had control which was fun. Couldn't get the tight vertical moves so well though or really use evade effectively not without face planting stuff all the time -  but still imo competent and enjoyable. 

But then the dive into water! Oh boy awful, and after many hours of play started to feel physically sick. That needs to change and I hope they do before EA and definately by release.

If PC "evade" stays as a single keybind it would be nice if up and down did something better with vertical moves. Maybe even loops and quban 8 moves to roll out at top, a long press equal quick roll, while tapping would produce as a more gentle banking to assist swiping moves add some grace to flight. Like what sticks do, they have a natural connection to pitch, yaw, and roll by function. Analog WASD keys would be the answer I guess but for most some delay/duration of key press should do.

Same with ground controls to be fair. A tap/tapping movement should make you walk, with continuously held being full walk/run or whatever it is currently called. Having to maneuver view point of your model on a small ledge is awkward and clunky. 

Anyway fingers crossed they fix it all, as it's certainly a very fun part of the game.

Message 19 of 26 (514 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Can I use a joystick with anthem??

Message 20 of 26 (495 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help