Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Game Breaking PC Issue for Dolby Vision TV Owners

by AlexiousRahl

Original Post

Game Breaking PC Issue for Dolby Vision TV Owners

★★★★ Novice

As mentioned in the title, there is a game breaking issue in the PC version of Anthem's demo if you are using a Dolby Vision compatible TV. 

I tried launching it (yes, I know it's not active yet but that's beside the point) and the display immediately enabled Dolby Vision. However, the screen goes black at the point and there is no way to recover other than rebooting the PC.

It is, sadly, a known issue with several Frostbite games, from BioWare's own Mass Effect Andromeda to Battlefield 1 and the latest Madden. The problem is, no one using Dolby Vision TV will be able to play at all unless BioWare can push a fix to temporarily disable Dolby Vision until the black screen issue is resolved. 

This is a rather time sensitive issue, so please take a look as soon as possible. Thanks.

Message 1 of 112 (4,008 Views)

Re: Game Breaking PC Issue for Dolby Vision TV Owners

★★★★ Novice

Yes. Exactly the same problem here. The only thing that fixed it is disabling HDMI ultra deep colour on your screen. Hope it will be fixed before demo period ends.

Message 2 of 112 (3,988 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have the same issue.  Disabling HDMI deep color allowed me to view the title screen, however I could not get any sound.  I checked that my settings were all good (they were) and loaded the game again, except this time my tv (LG C7) automatically enabled HDMI deep color for this title only and Dolby Vision kicked in, allowing me to hear but not see the title screen.  I really hope this gets fixed before release at least, since this display is currently my only way of playing the game.  

Message 3 of 112 (3,967 Views)

★★★★ Novice
You should post this in the tech support forum.
Message 4 of 112 (3,944 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Exact same problem. With Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda.

Strangely, Mass Effect Andromeda played in Dolby Vision perfectly when I had a Titan X Video card. Since them I upgraded to a 2080 TI RTX and now I get this. That makes me wonder if the issue is related to certain cards and drivers. The rest of my system and setup is exactly the same.

Either way it's an issue. I would love to play in Dolby Vision but until a fix is found we need the option turned off by default.

Message 5 of 112 (3,927 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Happening to me as well. RTX 2080 graphics card and LG 4K HDR TV. Switches to Dolby Vision automatically, and then bam, black screen. Can't even get it to switch back; I have to hard reset my pc.
Message 6 of 112 (3,897 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Can a moderator such as @SofaJockeyUK or @EA_Alexander put this topic in the appropriate section? Thanks.
Message 7 of 112 (3,881 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Someone found the solution to the issue in this thread...for unwanted switching to the secondary display:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Wrong-monitor/m-p/7366831#M9358

TQQdles™

Message 8 of 112 (3,872 Views)

★★★★ Novice

This has nothing to do with any secondary display.

Message 9 of 112 (3,863 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Also having same issue with 2080Ti and C6 OLED. Disabling Deep Color is only work around but then you can’t run 10 bit and so long HDR.

Message 10 of 112 (3,852 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help