Re: the sims medieval won't run, excapt as a background process

by AlaynaHuss

Original Post

Accepted Solution

the sims medieval won't run, excapt as a background process

★★★ Novice

I purchased The Sims Medieval today along with it's expansion, pirates and nobles. I downloaded and installed the base game. patcher wants to update, so I let it do that..a few times. Then I install the pirates and nobles. I click Play, and nothing happens. I check task manager and apparently it's running as a background process. This game has been out for a while now..and this problem is not new. why has it not been fixed? Paying for a game or two you can't play seems unreasonable to me. Why don't I just throw the money out the window..at least there's a chance the wind will take it to some homeless person.

How do I get my games to run? And why is this even an issue? Why hasn't there been any fixes for this by now?

Message 1 of 14 (36,924 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Apprentice

The fixes that have been officially put out didn't work for me - the registration, running through origin and updating. I did manage to find my own way of running the game perfectly.

1. find the TSM.exe in your computer files (should be wherever origin is installed)

2. run it

My partner tried this too and can also launch and play it fine. For some reason running it from my origin library just wouldn't work.

View in thread

Message 7 of 14 (43,316 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Can you tell us more about your computer and operating system please?

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 2 of 14 (36,786 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

hey i have the same problem it worked before when i had windows 7 
but now i upgraded to windows 10 and it stopped working it just runs in the background
and yes i have a good pc 

Message 3 of 14 (36,702 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same problem and had three different reps from EA's chat support that couldn't resolve the issue.  I bought the actual physical game on disc in the summer of 2014, played it for a few weeks while on my PC, Windows 8 without an issue.  Left it for a while (life was calling), and decided to fire it up after over a year, now on Windows 10.

The game was giving me a window within the launcher that read "Page Cannot Be Displayed" with all of the useless information that goes with it (ie check your page to make sure it's correct, etc.).  This window looks the same as any other when you're online trying to access a website that doesn't work.  I uninstalled the game, reinstalled it, restarted my system, and it just did the same thing over and over.  I couldn't even click the green play button to try and pass the splash screen - a small window would pop up saying I can't play it while the game is running or something like this.  So I decided to check the forums and see if EA could help with their support staff.

At first the rep wanted my game code to be linked to Origin (something I hadn't done upon buying the game last year - registering it).  I did this and it still didn't work (same issue as above).  I tried changing compatibility under the game's Properties, that still didn't work.  Once the game was added manually by a rep, clicking "Play" did nothing.  This apparently was because it was running in the background and to check around in my Windows to find it.  According to my Task Manager - it wasn't running at all.  Finally a third rep applied a copy of the game digitally to my account, replacing my game code with another, and it was still not responding when I clicked "Play".  It would grey out the button for about five minutes, but each time when trying again, it did nothing.

I was told that my issue would have to be escalated and an email sent with instructions.  This was on Friday, December 18th, and it's Sunday, December 20th now.  I'm not sure if those who work in escalations work weekends, but I haven't had anything resolved yet.  Hopefully writing this out in detail will help in case my problem gets lost in the shuffle.

My System:

Windows Edition:  Windows 10 Pro

(Windows is Active 2015)

System:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM2 Quad CPU  Q9400 @ 2.66Hz  2.67 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM):  4.00 GB

System Type:  64 bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Pen and Touch:  No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

Message 4 of 14 (36,694 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Three days later.... ***crickets***

I was told from an online chat agent that this issue of mine would have to be "escalated" (to whom, I don't know), and that they work very fast so I should be hearing from them very soon.  It's been three days now.  I'm getting a bit annoyed. 

Come on, EA, this problem is happening with many users now.  One user asked for help on this issue, and you asked what kind of system they have.  I replied with detailed information about my system and the problem both for me and on their behalf, since someone from EA asked this question to provide information.  I've done so.  Now please help us. 

I call for help to speak with a live agent, and they run me through the usual troubleshooting steps:  restarting, deleting Origin and the files, uninstalling, restarting, installing, and after all is said and done and there's no change (as in, the game still won't run), they end up closing all my tickets citing them as "resolved" - so now all my hard work of getting help from an escalations team will seem as though I didn't need it anymore.

I'm asking that EA get to the bottom of this.  Check my last reply for my system information and know that I've done all the usual troubleshooting steps.

Message 5 of 14 (36,665 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hi @Marlana74,

The codes were applied to Origin, but did you uninstall the game completely (ideally using a tool like CCcleaner to remove all the tiny pesky files) and fully reinstall the game through the Origin client?  

You need to uninstall the obsolete version of the game and use the Origin version instead. You'll find more information about that in our sticky: The Sims Medieval and Windows 8/10 Compatibility.

Hope that helps.

Message 6 of 14 (36,646 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

The fixes that have been officially put out didn't work for me - the registration, running through origin and updating. I did manage to find my own way of running the game perfectly.

1. find the TSM.exe in your computer files (should be wherever origin is installed)

2. run it

My partner tried this too and can also launch and play it fine. For some reason running it from my origin library just wouldn't work.

Message 7 of 14 (43,317 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried this but still showed up as a background process?? did you run as administrator or anything? 

Message 8 of 14 (35,583 Views)

★ Novice

Thank You so much! My game is running great now!

Message 9 of 14 (21,542 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i tried that (TSM.exe)  but didnt work  and can't use origin version since the code is invalid to use. Using the limited edition hard copy that I installed with CD. The EA help is only live chat and I don't want to do live chat.  Is there another solve for this? Tried compatibility for win 7 since I use 10. Owned the game since 2012 and just now decided to play it again. Not paying 20$ for a game I already own. Even ran as admin. 

Message 10 of 14 (12,757 Views)