Re: "Please insert disc 2" For downloading the sims 2 base game.

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

"Please insert disc 2" For downloading the sims 2 base game.

★ Novice

I am trying to download the sims 2 base game from a second hand shop, but it constantly asks me to insert disc two after it reaches 23%. Was my first mistake getting it second hand? And are there any work arounds? Im desperate to play.

Message 1 of 13 (5,941 Views)

Champion

@coolestkidd0 , yes, there are work arounds. I am guessing that you are playing on Windows 10, and please understand that Sims 2 is an older game that requires some work arounds to work. Please also download and use Graphics Rule Maker to add your video card so the game will recognize it and the 4GB patch so the game will run smoother. A Google search will locate these for you. Now onto installing the game itself. Follow the instructions listed below.

1) Insert your Sims 2 CD/DVD into your disk drive and open up your local hard drive.

2) Go to File, New Folder and create a new folder. Name this folder "Disk Images."

3) Go into the "Disk Images" folder and create another folder called "Disk1." If you're installing a version of The Sims 2 or an expansion pack/stuff pack with multiple disks, create folders for each disk. Label them "Disk2," "Disk3" and "Disk4." *Note* It's important you do not put a space in between "Disk" and the number you use.

4) Open up "My Computer" and select your Sims 2 CD. If the autorun comes up, cancel it as well as the installation.

5) Right-click The Sims 2 CD. Click "Explore."

6) Click on the "Edit" tab at the top of the window and choose "Select All." You can also press CTRL+A.

7) Click on the "Edit" tab again and select "Copy." CTRL+C also works.

8) Head into your "Disk1" folder. Go to the "Edit" tab and select "Paste." CTRL+V works as well. Continue until you've copied and pasted the information from all the disks into their appropriate folders.

9) Find the autorun file in the "Disk1" folder and double click it. This should install the game as normal. When you are finished, you can delete the "Disk Images" folder.

Tips

If you encounter any file transfer errors when copying and pasting, try cleaning your disk. If that fails, your disk is either scratched or corrupted.

My understanding is that you can re-use game codes. You can also search for some YouTube videos to help you install the game, the 4GB patch and to make the resolution larger. 

If you need any further help, please let me know. And also keep me updated on your progress and if this works for you. Standard smile

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 13 (5,880 Views)

★★ Novice
@Tremayne4260
It seemed to download Disc 1's content faster than only with the discs, but I still get the "insert disc 2" problem...
Message 3 of 13 (4,072 Views)

Champion

@r1i18d71czw5 , are you running as an administrator? Just asking as that seems to solve many problems for installing games.

Message 4 of 13 (4,054 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@Tremayne4260Yeah, I ran as admin

Message 5 of 13 (4,039 Views)

Champion

@r1i18d71czw5 , have you tried setting the compatibility mode to run say Windows XP or 7 for Sims 2?

Message 6 of 13 (4,021 Views)

★★ Novice
@Tremayne4260 Yes, I just tried that for XP (service packs 2 and 3) as well as windows 7. It still did not work Frown
Message 7 of 13 (4,014 Views)

Champion

@mate54 , help? Not sure what is causing this or what else to try.

Message 8 of 13 (3,996 Views)

Hero
@Tremayne4260 If installing from disks and from copied folders doesn't work, I'm not sure how to get around the error; it's like the installer is not recognizing Disk 2?

The only other option I can think of is creating ISO disk images, but that will most likely yield the same result.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 9 of 13 (3,965 Views)

Hero
@Tremayne4260 Well, installing from disk images worked for me, and it accepted Disk 2/3/4 when prompted. I'm on a fresh Windows 11 installation.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 10 of 13 (3,957 Views)