having to log into Origin to play Sims 2

by kw2002113

Original Post

having to log into Origin to play Sims 2

★ Novice

I could play the Sims Ultimate Collection off line for years - I got the original download when it was first offered and did not have to log into Origin to play. I was having crashing issues so upgraded the game. This seems to have added something to make me have to play through Origin, which I definitely do NOT want as that causes all sorts of issues with the game and ability to play. Do I now have to uninstall and reinstall through my discs and just deal with the crashing problems? Or is there some other way to get rid of the intrusive Origin?

Message 1 of 7 (6,217 Views)

Re: having to log into Origin to play Sims 2

Champion (Retired)

@kw2002113

You should still be able to play the game offline even though you need to be logged in to Origin. Just put Origin in offline mode and it should stay offline when you start it up the next time! Standard smile

I play The sims 2 UC through Origin and I've never really had any issues with it. in what ways does it affect your game?

I have always had to be logged in, I think, (okay maybe not when I played the original game 12 years ago) so maybe I'm just used to these "issues".

Message 2 of 7 (6,187 Views)

★ Novice

Origin causes crashes trying to update or contact the internet (my network is pretty secure with a pretty vicious firewall, even offline Origin tries to contact the internet for updates/info/sells * or something - at least according to the person who does my network).

I have never had to run Origin to play Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. In fact, today was the first day I've run Origin in years and I did that because I'd heard there had been an update which may solve some of the other issues I was having with the game. Big mistake as it now appears I have to run Origin to play the game!

Message 3 of 7 (6,180 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@kw2002113

I'm sorry this happened for you. And if you got The Sims 2 UC as a digital version I do not think you will be able to reactivate it without Origin?
But if you, in the Origin client, click Origin in the upper left corner and then choose application settings, you should be able to disable automatic updates and such. Clicking Origin again you can choose Go offline.

Origin will never try to download anything weird, it will just update itself and your game from EA's servers, so it's pretty secure. You should be able to tell your security programs and firewall to let Origin do it's own thing, and not have as much problems. Sure, it might have been easier not to do this at all, but I still think an updated game that don't crashes could be worth it Standard smile

Message 4 of 7 (6,174 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you - I do know how to turn off notifications, go offline, and turn off auto updates - first thing I did to the programme. My sys admin just read your response, laughed and said 'no'.

The problems Origin gives me are way worse than the game occasionally crashing to desktop after a few hours playing. Origin doesn't even start up without several error messages about missing files - I've spent today downloading and installing the stupid thing several times. Then downloading and installing a 'new' version of the ultimate collection. Not only can I not run the game without having to go through Origin (and it's multiple error messages) the graphics are way worse now - I had the old game set up to recognise my graphics card. Then Origin starting throwing up more error messages. So another download and clean install later I try again and same thing. So now I can't play at all.

I'm going back to the damn discs. They at least run!

Message 5 of 7 (6,144 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Such a frustrating xp with the damn Origin app. Has SO many bugs, not at all up to snuff for a program representing a big video game company.

Sorry I offer no help. I am having the same damn challenge, I just wanna play my SIMS2 UC offline!!
Message 6 of 7 (5,223 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I believe the latest update (and the one before it) changed certain files that introduced Origin auto-load into the mix.

I have heard of methods of getting around this but am not convinced that any of them comply with EA's EULA (since there is a DRM process in Origin and the licence for the Ultimate Collection includes a clause preventing DRM circumvention). Sorry that I do not have a helpful response.
Message 7 of 7 (5,163 Views)