backup up sims 2 ultimate collection for computer reset?

by itstiarabro

Original Post

Accepted Solution

backup up sims 2 ultimate collection for computer reset?

★ Novice

My computer is having some issues and I need to restore it to factory settings. I currently have Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and it's in my origin library. Is there a way to backup all my game files so that once I reset my computer, I can restore Sims 2 UC with my old game files intact?

Message 1 of 6 (7,902 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: backup up sims 2 ultimate collection for computer reset?

EA app Team

Hi @itstiarabro,

And I'm happy to explain Standard smile

1. Move or copy The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection folder you will find in C:\Program files (x86)\Origin Games to an external drive (or some other location that won't be reset)
  2. Once your computer has been reset, when you are ready to install the game again, place that folder in the same location: C:\Program files (x86)\Origin Games
  3. Once the folder has been moved, open Origin and log into your account.
  4. Click on The Sims 2 Ultimate collection to start the "download" of the game. Origin will find the folder you moved and instead of downloading the game again, it will only check the files. It should be done in a few minutes, ready to play!

Please, note that it's also possible to change the location in which you want to install the games by going to Origin > Application Settings > Installs & Saves > Game library location. In case you change this, you will need to place the folder in the specified location so Origin can find the files.

Let me know if anything is not clear Wink

-Mai

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (9,257 Views)

All Replies

EA app Team

Hi @itstiarabro,

You can Standard smile

Go to Documents > EA Games and copy The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection folder somewhere that will remain after your computer is reset. An external drive, for example. This is your user files backup.

Once your computer is ready to use again, download Origin from origin.com, install the game and open it. Once you get to the main menu, close it again. Now place your backup in Documents > EA Games. Next time you open your game, you should find your save games and Sims.

If you are interested in not having to download the whole game from Origin, that's also possible, but you would need to save the whole The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection in C:\Program files (x86).

Let me know if you want to do this so I can explain how to avoid having to download the game once your computer is reset and ready to go Standard smile

Welcome to the community!

-Mai

Message 2 of 6 (7,878 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you so much for your reply! I would love to know how I can avoid redownloading it to my computer.

Message 3 of 6 (7,803 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @itstiarabro,

And I'm happy to explain Standard smile

1. Move or copy The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection folder you will find in C:\Program files (x86)\Origin Games to an external drive (or some other location that won't be reset)
  2. Once your computer has been reset, when you are ready to install the game again, place that folder in the same location: C:\Program files (x86)\Origin Games
  3. Once the folder has been moved, open Origin and log into your account.
  4. Click on The Sims 2 Ultimate collection to start the "download" of the game. Origin will find the folder you moved and instead of downloading the game again, it will only check the files. It should be done in a few minutes, ready to play!

Please, note that it's also possible to change the location in which you want to install the games by going to Origin > Application Settings > Installs & Saves > Game library location. In case you change this, you will need to place the folder in the specified location so Origin can find the files.

Let me know if anything is not clear Wink

-Mai

Message 4 of 6 (9,258 Views)

★ Novice

This is very frustrating because it seems that you keep copying and pasting the same instructions, which means that if someone is confused by something you've said then they'll never get additional clarificaion.

My confusion comes in when you use the word "reset". In the 1st step you refer to "reset" in terms of the game replacing a file that's in a folder with another file which is why you tell us to move the file as a backup. But in step 2 you keep saying,"Once your computer has been reset, when you are ready to install the game again". What do you mean by "Once your computer has been reset"?  Do you mean that we're to reboot or do a hard shut down of our PC and THEN download the game again or does "reset" mean something else? The words are being used interchangeably so I don't know what you mean! If you could clarify I (and possibly others) would really, really owe you big time! Thank you!

Message 5 of 6 (7,245 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@jaineblaize

Well, did you read the question in the first post?

The person is asking how to backup then doing a PC-reset, that's what the reset in the answer is referring to? Does that make sense?

It's a bit different for different operating systems, but more or less return the PC to the state it was when it was new (without any personal files or programs) 

Message 6 of 6 (7,232 Views)