The Sims Medieval not launching

by Kracken_Pants

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims Medieval not launching

★ Novice

I bought the Sims Medieval two days ago. While the game and the P&N DLC seem to install fine, neither will launch. I don't get a screen, error, or anything. I get the spinning loading icon, and then Origin pops back up.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game five times. I've tried launching it with and without P&N installed. I've repaired the files and tried launching them. I've tried running it in compatibility mode and as an administrator. I deleted the cache files in Origin and on my PC. I cannot seem to get this game to launch no matter what I do. The most luck I've had was to go into the Program Files (x86) > Origin Games > Sims Medieval > Game > Bin, and then tried launching the game and the launcher from there. The launcher gave me an error saying "Unable to start. Please reinstall the Sims Medieval base game." I'm wondering if there's a setting on my computer that's blocking this, but I can't think of what. I'm on Windows 10. 

Message 1 of 36 (15,605 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The Sims Medieval not launching

★★★★★ Newbie

After some more digging I found that both Sims Medieval and The Sims 3 won’t run on your PC if you have a 12th gen or newer CPU. 

In order to fix this issue you need to install power shell by windows. You will need to run a code before launching the sims medieval:

echo "Launch Sims Medieval..."

do{
$TSM = Get-Process TSM, SMLauncher, SimsMedievalLauncher -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
}until($TSM)

$Affinity=$TSM.ProcessorAffinity

$TSM.ProcessorAffinity=1

Start-Sleep -s 5

$TSM.ProcessorAffinity=$Affinity

After entering this code your game should run normally. To my understanding you need to run it before each launch. But it works!!

i got this code from @Plasma_Ball1 

The original code for the sims 3 is by @Miaa245  which can be found on this forum:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-Alder-Lake-Intel-12th-gen-CPU/m-p/11... 

View in thread

Message 9 of 36 (14,454 Views)

All Replies

Champion

@Kracken_Pants, try these steps to start Sims Medieval. It seems to work for Mac users and should work for Windows users as well.

1) Install the game.

2) Repair Origin. (I think you can do this on Windows)

3) Install Base game alone.

4) Repair Origin again.

5) Launch game, and disable Origin In Game while Error code window is open and then close the Error code window. Also clear cache files from Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims Medieval.

6) Repair Origin for a third time.

7) Download and install Pirates and Nobles.

8) Repair Origin for a fourth time and clear the cache files one more time.

Note: Files to clear all end in "cache" and there should be three of them. 

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 36 (15,536 Views)

★ Novice

@Tremayne4260 that didn't work. I don't get an error message from Origin. The only time I got one was when I went into the game files, found the Sims Medieval Launcher application and tried to open it from there. The error message was from that launcher, not Origin. I still followed the steps the best I could, but the game still won't load.

Unless I am not understanding what repair Origin entails. The best I could find online was deleting the Origin folders in the %ProgramData% and %AppData% folders. If you had something else in mind, would you mind specifying?

Message 3 of 36 (15,510 Views)

Hero

@Kracken_Pants To start off, The Sims Medieval Launcher (SMLauncher.exe and SimsMedievalLauncher.exe) does not work for Origin installations; the game is launched directly through TSM.exe.

To delete Origin cache, please follow the steps described on this page: https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

To delete The Sims Medieval cache, please go to Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\ and delete the following files:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package

Then, try (re)installing DirectX 9 from Microsoft's website, using these instructions, and restart your PC.

If the game still doesn't run, please send a dxdiag to this thread: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/ 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 36 (15,503 Views)

★ Novice

Oddly enough, those cache packages aren't in that folder. There isn't a lot in there at all, which makes me think that it's not installing correctly. I attached photos just for reference. I did all the other steps just to be sure, but it still wouldn't launch.

I'll do a dxdiag report and send it to that thread. Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 36 (15,498 Views)

Hero
@Kracken_Pants I guess the game couldn't even open to create a complete user folder, makes sense. Just to clarify, reinstalling DirectX 9 didn't work either?

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 36 (15,491 Views)

★ Novice

@mate54 nope. Installed it and rebooted the computer and still wouldn't launch. 

Message 7 of 36 (15,483 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Did you ever find anything that worked?

I’m currently having the same issue and I can’t seem to find anything that’s working.

Message 8 of 36 (14,464 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

After some more digging I found that both Sims Medieval and The Sims 3 won’t run on your PC if you have a 12th gen or newer CPU. 

In order to fix this issue you need to install power shell by windows. You will need to run a code before launching the sims medieval:

echo "Launch Sims Medieval..."

do{
$TSM = Get-Process TSM, SMLauncher, SimsMedievalLauncher -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
}until($TSM)

$Affinity=$TSM.ProcessorAffinity

$TSM.ProcessorAffinity=1

Start-Sleep -s 5

$TSM.ProcessorAffinity=$Affinity

After entering this code your game should run normally. To my understanding you need to run it before each launch. But it works!!

i got this code from @Plasma_Ball1 

The original code for the sims 3 is by @Miaa245  which can be found on this forum:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-Alder-Lake-Intel-12th-gen-CPU/m-p/11... 

Message 9 of 36 (14,455 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@CalachuI tried it but the game still didn't launch for 5th gen. I still think that the problem is on EA's side and should be fixed by them, not us or me.

Edit: 10th gen

Message 10 of 36 (14,341 Views)