The Sims 2 ultimate collection origin keeps crashing (Windows 10) FEB 2018

by Jozo7O

Original Post

The Sims 2 ultimate collection origin keeps crashing (Windows 10) FEB 2018

★★★ Novice

Recently I have been wanting to play Sims 2, I managed to get it working few months back and tried to come back to it however it keeps constantly crashing, sometimes it crashes during the loading screen and sometimes I can get to the neighborhood however i can Never seem to go on create a sim or any current house or build any, it would just crash

I have checked a few websites and they think that the recent Windows Update (the one revolving around intel CPUs) had broken it, my laptop can run it as its running an older version of windows 10 however I would really like to get it running on my faster Desktop, does anyone have any ideas and is there a possibility that EA would release another update fixing this issue? (I know the game is coming to 14 years old but there was an update in October 2017)

Message 1 of 82 (60,408 Views)

Re: The Sims 2 ultimate collection origin keeps crashing (Windows 10) FEB 2018

★★★ Novice

Mine seems to be crashing too, pretty much as soon as I get into create a sim. Hopefully there will be a fix. They still have Sims 2 customer support, so it might happen.

Message 2 of 82 (60,312 Views)

EA app Team

Hi,

Great to see you are still interested in The Sims 2! Let me try to help with this Standard smile

@Jozo7O was the game running without issues in that computer in the past?

@TarixSim @Jozo7O, could you please give us more technical information about your computer? A dxdiag would be very helpful. You can find instructions on how to get a dxdiag here, and you can attach it to your answer.

That might give us more information about the problem as well Standard smile

Thanks!

-Mai

Message 3 of 82 (60,302 Views)

★★★ Novice

here you are Standard smile It used to work about half a year 4/5 months ago on the same computer, and only just recently I have been wanting to play again, I have tried reinstalling it and repairing it via Origin but to no avail at best I can mess around in the neighborhood but I cant enter/edit a lot or even create a new sim, I've seen a few forums saying its something to do with Windows 10 update 1709 either not liking the Sims 2 post October update or the sims 2 at all.

Message 4 of 82 (60,297 Views)

★★★ Novice

Here is my dxdiag file and also my most recent crash log. 

So, I have just recently installed The Sims 2, but the problem that I am noticing so far is with CAS. When I launch the game and try to make a new family (I have tried in two different worlds) it crashes quite quickly. Likewise, when I play a pre-made family, I can play just fine it seems until I go to a mirror and change appearance (so far I haven't had much time to actually play as I have been trying to make a new family, so I don't know if it would crash after a while of playing, but it doesn't seem like it would). Every time it crashes with an ACCESS_VIOLATION error, which seems to be that it is trying to read or write to memory it shouldn't have access to when in CAS. 

One thing to note is that my laptop is a 64 bit machine and the game seems to be a 32 bit game. Could that be causing any problems?

Message 5 of 82 (60,293 Views)

★★★ Novice
I have also read that this problem seems prevalent with Windows 10 Pro edition computers specifically. Not sure if that's helpful or not.
Message 6 of 82 (60,265 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @TarixSim @Jozo7O:

Have you both already tried to run the game in compatibility mode with Windows XP (Service Pack 2)? I know for you it worked in that computer before, @Jozo7O, but please, try anyway if you haven't done so already. You would need to:

1. Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin  (path might be different if you changed the Origin game installation folder)
  2. Right click in Sims2EP9.exe > Properties.
  3. Go to Compatibility tab
  4. Select to run the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
  5. Select to run the program as administrator.
  6. Apply the changes and double click on Sims2EP9.exe to start the game.

If that doesn't help, you might want to give the option 'Reduced colour mode' to 8-bit a try. It's also in Compatibility tab.

@TarixSim your graphics card is actually not that powerful, considering the specifications of the rest of your computer, and the issue could come from there. If compatibility mode doesn't work, could you try lowering the graphics settings as much as possible?

@Jozo7O great PC! Your computer has two graphics cards, as you probably already know. Could you try to change the card the game is using to launch? You should be able to do it using NVIDIA Control Panel. Let me know if you are not sure how to do that and I'll help Standard smile

Thanks!

-Mai

Message 7 of 82 (60,215 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks XD Standard smile also I tried the compatibility mode and its still crashing, this time it crashed as soon as it brought up the neighborhood menu

And I try to go on the control panel and click on the list of games and it seems to list all types of sims 2 apart from EP9 XD lol, See image attached XD, any other suggestions?

halp.png

Message 8 of 82 (60,208 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thank you. The issue seemed to be with my video card. All seems to be working fine now Standard smile
Message 9 of 82 (60,202 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Glad to read that, @TarixSim! You could try to 'play' a bit with the settings until you find the best ones for you.

Enjoy the game! Standard smile

@Jozo7O :D The pack is hiding! Luckily, we can fix that easily - see that button just to the right where it says 'Add'? Use it and NVIDIA will show you a list of the recently used programs.

If sims2ep9.exe doesn't even show in that list, use 'Browse...' option below that list to find it yourself. Remember by default it's inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin

Please, let us know if that helps Standard smile
-Mai

Message 10 of 82 (60,177 Views)