The Sims 2 ultimate collection origin keeps crashing (Windows 10) FEB 2018

by Jozo7O

Original Post

Re: The Sims 2 ultimate collection origin keeps crashing (Windows 10) FEB 2018

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@EA_Mai  did you check the link before you deleted it?

It would be great if EA provided a fix so people did not have to resort to third parties to fix their game.

Sims 2 crashes ALL the time on Win 10

Sims 3 has major lags and crashes after Island Paradise EP was installed. This is well known that the world has major routing problems. Does EA fix it? NO -- so people resort to third parties to mod fixes.

I would rather play the games I purchased (yes I purchased all of the EPS for TS2 & TS3) than use a mod that may or may not fix the game.

So EA_MAI, please reach out to your superiors, bubble up the problems and work to have a fix.

Turns out with TS2 it is maxing out at 2GB ram -- Well I have 32GB ram on my system so it should not have a problem with virtual memory etc.

Sims2RAM.png

I am not entirely comfortable using fix on the Pleasant Sims website as it is not an official game patch and it is not a simple mod, it actually rewrites the executable.  -- so what is the solution?

DXDiag-Partial.png

Note: I did not attach the full DxDiag because it contains information about my machine that a hacker may find interesting and it doesn't seem like EA_MAI has responded on the forum to anyone who has posted them.

Message 71 of 82 (6,607 Views)

★★ Guide
@EA_Blueberrytroshalom Sadly its because they aren't supporting the game anymore. They've even stopped giving away free copies of the ultimate collection. So it seems if we continue to have issues here were are speaking into the abyss.
Message 72 of 82 (6,579 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have recently started to play the Sims 2 UC again, and I got so far that I had made my family and was in the process of completing my house. This after a bunch of fixes, everything that was recommended here and then it starts to crash again. This is not the first time and I am just about done. I have the NVIDIA 1070 card and Windows 10 on my computer....so I guess I'm just about sc*w*d when it ocmes to the game. EA will never do anything to fix this...

Message 73 of 82 (6,373 Views)

Champion

@TheTinkeress , you can also check Leefish's forum for fixes to get the game to run on Windows 10.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 74 of 82 (6,355 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have managed to get SIMS 2 on Origin to work.

Literally I followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BRX0JlN8lM

only difference is that you don't move over dxgi.dll.

at first the game wouldn't even launch but after i restarted my computer It then worked fine, remember to backup your files first though Just in case, hope this helped lol as I posted the original problem almost 2 years ago XD

Message 75 of 82 (6,270 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@Jozo7O Thank you! At my wit's end and unable to play. I'll give this a try!
Message 76 of 82 (6,245 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Yes!!! I also followed the steps in the youtube vid by xurbansims and it worked. No more crashing! :D Thanks @Jozo7O for posting it. 

Message 77 of 82 (5,973 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Had an ACCESS_EXCEPTION when igo32.dll OriginIGOUpdate_impl() tried to invoke memmove().

Origin In Game Overlay is causing problems too. If anybody else is having crashing issues. Check Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Logs\Sims2Exception yyyy.mm.dd hh.MM.ss.txt (the name of the file may be slightly different). If your exception code (line 2) is "0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION." 

1. head to Origin
  2. Click "My Game Library"
  3. Right click on The Sims 2
  4. Click "Game Properties"
  5. Untick "Enable Origin In Game for The Sims 2..."

You can find an example of the log output for this exception here: https://pastebin.com/Ca1SARq5

Fish

Message 78 of 82 (5,382 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Necroing, because the solution hasn't been documented here. 

I have GTX 1070 as well, and I could get to the point of loading the world, but if I try to link any other maps (i.e., shopping, nightlife, whatever) it crashes. Initially, the client wouldn't even launch, but I started playing around with settings and was able to get through world selection, but doing anything beyond that point would crash the client. After looking at the exception files the client was generating, I was able to isolate the issue. 

Dug through dozens of troubleshooting threads, but only found one that worked. 

Troubleshooting steps I took with little/no success

1. Started by setting the game to run in windowed mode. In the Origin UI, right click on TS2, select game properties, click on advanced launch options, type -w in command line arguments. Made launching faster. 

2. As per this thread, I changed the compatibility settings and ran as administrator, which made the game crash before launching - basically making the issue worse. 

3. I dug into the exception files and saw I was getting the ACCESS_VIOLATION error (you can check this in Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Logs in text file named Sims2Exception with the date and time of the exception). According to the amazing celebkiriedhel of Leefish, "An Access Violation occurs when the game tries to write something where it shouldn't. Rather than overwriting a piece of code it gives the violation and stops." Part of that seems to be because the game was last updated before a lot of modern cards were released, and it can't recognize the cards without changing the graphics card texture fix to graphics rules.sgr and updating the video card on the video cards.sgr. 

What ACTUALLY worked for me: 

I decided to run Graphic Rules Maker (GRM) by Sims Network, which was updated for 2020, as it autodetects the installed graphics card and modifies settings automatically without needing to manually adjust the .sgr files (which is what I had to do with TS3 to get it to run..). Kiri mentions that sometimes GRM misses certain details, so I decided to apply GRM, then double-check the files with the Leefish guide to ensure everything was updated properly (thread titled "Sims 2 - UC Access_Violation Error after Windows 10 updated")

If that gets censored out, the issue is that the game is old and doesn't recognize new cards, and that's why powerful systems are crashing when running what should be a super low-resource game. Superficially low memory limitations can create an endless loop that winds up eating all of your memory, and crashing the game. You have to repair the graphics rules.sgr and video cards.sgr in order for the game to recognize your cards - there is a program that does it automatically, which should be easy to track down just by searching "Sims Network Graphics Rules Maker" or "Sims 2 Ultimate windows 10 not recognizing graphics card." The program is a direct executable file, and did not cause any issues or flag my malware - it's reputable within the community. If you'd still prefer not to run it, Leefish has a guide to manually update the files, but it can be quite confusing if you're not used to modifying files that are severely outdated. 

As always, backup your game before making any modifications to the game files. 

EA isn't going to provide an update on this, and as the title is so old, these steps will be necessary to run the client without crashing on newer machines. 

Message 79 of 82 (5,221 Views)

★ Novice

i know this is about 2 years old but im havinjg this problem

Message 80 of 82 (4,342 Views)