The Sims 2 ultimate collection origin keeps crashing (Windows 10) FEB 2018

by Jozo7O

Original Post

Re: Sims 2 Ultimate Collection crashing constantly on windows 10

★★ Apprentice
@MsPigglyPooh Hi, there is a thread over on Leefish forums addressing your problem almost exactly. The issue seems to be that Nvidia GTX cards plus Windows 10 simply will not run the Sims 2, at all. And yes that also explains why your older system will run it and your newer one won't--there is a basic incompatibility. I'm in the same boat, sadly. Here's the link if you want to check it out or post and talk to the very knowledgeable people there. http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8809 There is confirmation that Nvidia GTX and Windows 7 will run the game, so I may see what I can do about getting Windows 7 back again.
Message 51 of 82 (4,348 Views)

★★ Guide
Thanks so much for your response! I really appreciate it. I might have to look into the same thing as well. I do like windows 7 better than windows 10 tbh lol
Message 52 of 82 (4,339 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@MsPigglyPooh You are more than welcome! Happy to help a fellow Simmer. Standard smile Seriously, if I didn't need Windows 10 to run some new games, I'd have ditched it and gone back to Windows 7 years ago.
Message 53 of 82 (4,327 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Hilarious30   @TheReaTruelKing @pookah11 @Reid1651 @Dragonkingf0 @Ragrup  @0dragontiger0 @izzybarrett  @FknVulpix @G4M3K177Y @klappa82 @vickylocaxsims @Emarielle  @ashleywinker  @vevex_banana   

Hi all, I'll put the same info here as I gave to another player. There is a thread over on Leefish forums addressing the constant crashing problem. The issue seems to be that Nvidia GTX 10XX series cards--along with a lot of other new cards--plus Windows 10 simply will not run the Sims 2 reliably. There is also an issue with Direct X 11 & 12 that the newer cards use being incompatible with the game.  I'm in the same boat, sadly.  Here's the link if you want to check it out or post and talk to the very knowledgeable people there. http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8809  There is a pinned post listing what cards will/will not work you can check.  There is confirmation that Nvidia GTX 10XX series cards plus Windows 7 will run the game, so I may see what I can do about getting Windows 7 back again.

Message 54 of 82 (4,319 Views)

★ Novice

I have an update on the sims 2 ultimate that actually worked for me and it stopped the crashing for my rig. This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg)  helped me out a lot. I forgot all about the data execution prevention that I used for the sims 3 when it would crash and I didn't know that it would work for the sims 2. I followed some of her steps. I still downloaded the graphics ruler fix but I also downloaded the 4gb patch fix and did the step with the data execution and my game has not crashed on me yet which is exciting! I'll keep ya'll updated.

Message 55 of 82 (3,911 Views)

★★ Guide

I can vouch for this working for my game. I've been playing for the last day or so and *knocks on wood*  the game has not crashed on me yet. And that's me playing for hours. I'm thinking as long as that data execution prevention program is disabled for this game it prevents windows 10 from going in and shutting the program down when it taps into certain memory. I do also only have my smooth edges slider to halfway just to be on the safe side. But I really hope this helps someone whos having trouble running the game. So far its worked out for me. I can keep you all updated on the process of my game but I'm thinking that's what did it. It did work for stopping my sims 3 from crashing as well as it did for you @Mznora89 .

Message 56 of 82 (3,888 Views)

Champion

This sounds like excellent news. If anyone else can report success, we can mark this as a solution.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 57 of 82 (3,880 Views)

Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Unplayable on Windows 10

★★★ Newbie

Has anyone at EA/Origin even tried to play Sim 2 on modern hardware? This game simply does not work. 

The game will open, but if you try to CAS then it crashes. This is only fixed after editing the game to use more than 1024MB of RAM.

Even then, the game crashes all the time. You can't even change the game to be in 1920x1080 resolution without editing a config file. From what I have found the inclusion of securom, among other things, causes this game to simply not work. 

Can someone at EA/Origin get on this? 

Message 58 of 82 (3,600 Views)

Re: The Sims 2 ultimate collection origin keeps crashing (Windows 10) FEB 2018

★★ Apprentice

Update:   I'm in the process of testing out the data execution prevention fix.  The game loaded from my previous save, with my very large downloads folder (3+Gbs).  I was able to enter neighborhoods with no flashing objects or pink textures.  Then I loaded a house that had crashed on me within a few minutes previously.  Here I was able to enter build mode and fiddle with quite a few things, then buy mode.  The game crashed in buy mode, but I would say I played a good 2 hours before it happened, and that's considerably longer than I've been able to play before (like about 15 minutes).  I restarted the game, was able to load the same house, make more changes and save them, then the game crashed again in buy mode after a much shorter time the second time.  A little disappointing but I'm going to start to trim my downloads folder and see if that helps.  I have the 4Gb patch in place, and the memory allocation fix.  Just did the trademark fix because the game wasn't creating a config file for me.  As soon as it does, I'll recheck the 4Gb patch and also my graphics cards rules and make sure those are still in place.  

Message 59 of 82 (3,606 Views)

Re: The Sims 2 ultimate collection origin keeps crashing (Windows 10) FEB 2018

Champion

@aprilraven , please keep us updated. Something else I remembered is that you may need to cull your CC (if you play with any) as that can also cause your game to crash. Sometimes some of the file names are too long or have odd symbols in them titles that can cause the game to not recognize the CC or can hinder the game from running properly.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 60 of 82 (3,583 Views)