Re: Sims 2 Ultimate Collection crashing constantly on windows 10

by EA_Arrenai

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

I'm also running into these issues - it was working fine a couple of days ago and now it crashes out suddenly. Sometimes I'll manage to play for an hour before it crashes, yesterday the family I had been playing couldn't manage to get through more than about 5 minutes. Did a reinstall and reboot, lost progress, same problem. 

Ran it in compatibility mode and it seemed to be fixed but an hour later it crashed again. It seems to be completely random.

At my wits end. It had been working perfectly until just a few days ago. 

Message 41 of 82 (2,931 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Sul sul, @Hilarious30.

Thanks for the dxdiag, it's quite helpful! The top error in the Diagnostics section is a PCA2 error, which is for the Program Compatibility Assistant. It appears to be crashing due to an issue in compatibility mode. Just to confirm, which version of Windows do you have set for compatibility mode?

Arrenai Cat

Did you receive an awesome, helpful response? Thumbs up +XP!

Was your issue resolved by a great post? :eahigh_file: Accept as Solution

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 42 of 82 (2,909 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi @EA_Arrenai

Thanks for getting back to me. I ran it in Vista (Service Pack 2). The other options are Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Message 43 of 82 (2,896 Views)

Hey there, @Hilarious30. Thanks for the update!

While Vista should work alright, could you give compatibility to Windows XP (SP3) a try to see if that improves performance?

Arrenai Cat

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 44 of 82 (2,883 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi @EA_Arrenai 

Unfortunately same problem. No fix. Game just crashes out. 

Performance isn't the issue. The game RUNS fine while it is actually running - it's just that it crashes back to the desktop after no more than an hour of playtime, seemingly at random.

Message 45 of 82 (2,797 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Since my last time here I didn't try running compatibility and yet I too still have the same issue once running it. I ended up running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP3) and got a good hour or so session in to have it crash on me randomly.

*Edited to add* Went ahead and added My Dxdiag as I did not add it last time.

Message 46 of 82 (2,789 Views)

Hey there. Thanks for the replies.

It appears @MsPigglyPooh is also hitting a PCA2 error when crashing, which would be due to compatibility.

Admittedly, there is a limited amount that can be done on a Windows 10 machine due to the technology difference between The Sims 2's era and now. Let's try a couple more things in addition to running compatibility mode with XP (SP3) or Vista (SP2):

• Run the game as Administrator
  • Run Windows lean with minimal programs in the background
  • Temporarily disable Origin's overlay
  • If you're running CC / mods, please try taking them out and running the game again

Please let me know how it goes.

Arrenai Cat

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 47 of 82 (2,767 Views)

★★ Guide

I tried everything minus Windows 10 lean as I'm not familiar with this and after looking into it apparently its another OS, a lite version of windows 10, one can download and I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing such, however, I disabled as many programs in the background as I could without messing up my computer. I had majority of Origin disabled already and just disabled all notifications. I then deleted my sims 2 ultimate file in order to have a completely fresh file when running the game again. I was already running the sims 2 as administrator so there was nothing to change there for me.

My results were the same, unfortunately.  As it did before, the game ran excellent performance wise, however, about an hour to hour and a half just crashed on me with a notice saying the sims 2 ultimate has crashed. I'm a bit lost in what else can be done. I mean I can technically still play but I'm limited on how long I can play.  

Message 48 of 82 (2,748 Views)

Hey there, @MsPigglyPooh.

My apologies for any confusion. By my usage of "running Windows 10 lean", I mean running as little as possible, such as after a Clean Boot. Keeping browser windows closed, chat and voice programs turned off, and other elements can help determine if it's something outside of the game interfering with running the game. I did not mean to imply using a different OS. Sorry about that!

Unfortunately, The Sims 2 is no longer actively supported, as there's no studio team put in place to patch for changes in hardware and software. Keeping Windows 10 up to date can help with compatibility mode as improvements are made OS-side. The latest version is the October 2018 update (version 1809).

Do you have another computer you can test running the game on, to see if it may be an incompatibility with your hardware configuration?

Arrenai Cat

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 49 of 82 (2,726 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Ahhh okay! That makes more sense haha

And I can run it without it crashing on my HP Laptop but the laptop its dated in comparison to my desktop so I'm guessing thats why it can run it. I just bought this desktop back at the end of February so its fairly new. The desktop I had prior to this one had an 8GB Radeon RX 480 Graphics card,12 GB RAM, with a Xeon E3 Processor (Windows 10 Home) And it also ran The sims 2 UC without crashing. This is initially why I thought it had to do with my Nvidia GTX graphics card or maybe because I have windows 10 Pro instead of Home. I'm not sure, but I know there is only so much that can be done as, like you said, there is no active support.

I can see if My windows 10 needs to be updated and try to run the game again. I'll let you know what I find out. And If I need to update it I'll let you know how the game runs. As well as doing the Clean boot for my computer to see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for you advice and being so helpful! I really appreciate it.

Edited To Add: So I updated windows 10 as it needed to be updated and then I did a clean boot exactly as it was written but couldn't get TS2 UC to run as origin wasn't working for me and it kept freezing at the start up portion so I went back and re-enabled the programs (As it suggested in the steps for the clean boot) and was able to launch the game. This time it crashed sooner than before. As soon as my sim was headed Downtown, not ever 30 mins into the game, it crashed. 

Message 50 of 82 (2,711 Views)