The Sims 2 Ultimate/Super Collection for Mac? (and other questions)

by Joe-2034

Original Post

Re: The Sims 2 Ultimate/Super Collection for Mac? (and other questions)

★★★★ Novice

I have the ultimate collection in my library but am on mac how would I exactly be able to use it?And if bootcamp will work can I get any help?

Message 51 of 60 (2,723 Views)

★ Novice

This is so frustrating that we can't play on mac, as i have every sims 3 game as well as the ultimate collection. It is disappointing and puts me off of buying anymore EA games due to the discrimination of platforms.

Message 52 of 60 (2,526 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

i know that frustrating

Message 53 of 60 (2,103 Views)

Re: SIMS 2 ULTIMATE COLLECTION

★★★ Novice
@bleedycon Install windows with boot camp
Message 54 of 60 (1,905 Views)

Message 55 of 60 (1,904 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Since Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is no longer available, I wanted to let Mac users know that the Sims 2 Super Collection is available in the Apple App Store for about $20 US. Aspyr updated the game to run on Catalina or later so it is a 64 bit game.

To give a little history to those who feel that we Mac Users "were left out", we were lucky to get what we do have of Sims 2. At the time, Apple Computers used what was called the "Power PC" chip which was made especially for Apple. Windows computers all used Intel chips. And because the Mac OS is different from Windows, EA/Maxis had to hire a company called Aspyr to port the game to the Mac OS. Aspyr is still around and does still port games to different OS and from PC to console. In the days of the original release of Sims 2, we got the base game about a year or so later than the Windows folks and from then on most EPs about 6 months later. Remember the game had to be re-programmed to run on the Mac OS and to run on Apple Computers. Aspyr had only been contracted to port a certain number of EPs which Sims 2 exceeded. I'm not sure of the details, but Aspyr did port three of the stuff packs (Holiday Stuff, Family Fun Stuff and Glamour Life). Near the time of the release of Bon Voyage for the Mac, Apple switched to the Intel chips and that made porting the game much easier. The players are not quite sure why Aspyr stopped porting the game, but Bon Voyage was the last expansion pack that was ported. It was about a year and a half before Sims 3 was nearing release, so EA had hired folks to work on porting that game in house. 

If you do still have Sims 2 UC in your Origin account and want to play the game, you do need a copy of Windows and can either Bootcamp your Mac or use a virtual machine program like Parallels to run the game. As always if you need help installing the game, just start a new thread, explain what you are trying to do and please do let me know if you are using a Mac or Windows computer.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 56 of 60 (1,880 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

From my personal experience running both the Ultimate Collection (through Bootcamp) and also have the Super Collection through Aspyr, I personally think the Super Collection is worth it. The graphics look great, and the game runs so smoothly for a mac which is rare for a Sims game. The only thing that sucks is not having the Apartments pack. While playing the Ulitmate Collection through boot camp I deleted it very shortly after. I didn't like the inconvenience of switching back and forth between Windows and Mac, and the game definitely didn't run as well for me as it did the SC.

Although I do wish that the Ultimate Collection would release to Mac players because I do believe that the Mac community has been jipped by EA multiple times; I think that if you're considering getting the Super Collection DO IT. You won't be disappointed. 

Message 57 of 60 (1,738 Views)

★★ Apprentice

they should still release a ultimate collection for mac tho

Message 58 of 60 (1,696 Views)

Champion

@badbleep_16 , while it would be nice, EA and Aspyr would have to agree to exchange and port the code. Sims 2 has been sunset by EA for over two years now and I doubt they will. If you were lucky enough to get the Sims 2 UC code back before 2018 and are on a Mac, there are ways to play the game. If you are interested, please start a new thread providing details.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 59 of 60 (1,687 Views)

Re: Is there any reason why The Sims 2 is not available on Mac? I know it was re

★★★ Novice
@mustheory The reason they did the free promotion is because they were removing the Windows version, which included an out of date piece of software that the license had ran out on. The Mac version doesn't include this software, therefore it can still be sold.
Message 60 of 60 (1,204 Views)