Re: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection

by shelldonna

Original Post

Champion

@fantuanss , You can purchase disk drives for your computer as external sources. My computer doesn't have a built in disk drive, yet I have a disk drive attached to my computer so that I can either play older games or add CD's to my iTunes. Other World Computing is a good place to look for extra memory, disk drives and more. They are fairly reasonably priced. 

Just trying to pass on information for people who may be looking into these options.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 21 of 109 (2,660 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@Tremayne4260I understand, my computer has a disc drive, but when I search for third-party sellers, a lot of them sell packs but it costs ridiculously high. I am planning to go to retail hunting after COVID, but it still let me feel exhausted to complete it because my region NEVER produce UL collection, BOB collection...
I really don't want to _______ the game, it makes me fell guilty, and I usually will buy the game eventually. It was such a disappointment I can't get this game anymore no matter what.

Message 22 of 109 (2,643 Views)

★★ Novice

If you notice the passion, why don't you sell it? I would easily shell a few bucks for another game, and this one looks interesting to me. I would love for the Sims 2 to be available once more onto the origin store and be able to play it legally. Broken heart

Message 23 of 109 (2,606 Views)

★ Novice

I agree. I love Sims 2 ultimate collection.... Sims 2 super collection is missing freetime and apartment life ... its just not the same after playing the ultimate collection for many years...

Message 24 of 109 (2,560 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Lanna The sims 4 is a cash grab at best, gameplay and challenge last about 20 minutes at best. just long enough to use cas and build. Don't get me wrong I like some stuff in the sims 4 but its very shallow. The real reason EA won't release The sims 1 or 2 is because they are afraid it will cut into 4's profit. I'm done supporting sims 4. we live in a age where game preservation is a thing, DOOM, Starwars old republic and sims city 2000 are easily played on modern computers. This just makes EA look silly.
Message 25 of 109 (2,309 Views)

★★★ Newbie

First time writing in these forums, so hi everyone!

I just wanted to write and say this does sadden me, The Sims 2 really did start my Sims journey, on PC, Playstation 2 and DS. I have been watching Juno Birch play The Sims 2 on YouTube and her videos are absolutely amazing and always make me laugh (and of course she's an absolute icon). That aside, I would just like to express my interest in wanting The Sims 2 to be made available sometime in the future. Of course I love The Sims 3 and 4, and I have both on PC. However, nothing beats The Sims 2 and the nostalgia it makes me feel. It makes sense about it not working on newer forms of windows, but I understand others still make it work with the copies they have. I do get its difficult and EA is focusing on The Sims 4, which is great, but having the option to play The Sims 2 would be legendary. I hope sometime we get to play it again! All the best to everyone and EA. 

Message 26 of 109 (2,256 Views)

Champion

@ashleamary27 , actually Sims 2 does work on Windows 10 with a little tweaking here and there. The problem is people wanting to the play the game and no longer having the original disks. 

Message 27 of 109 (2,250 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Okay, right! Thanks for the info, I'm glad it works on windows 10. So what are the main reasons for EA to not want to reformat it for origin? I understand about helping players with issues can be difficult and they said something about it not working on some forms of windows etc so, is that all that's holding them back? And I do know obviously they want to focus on the Sims 4 but, omg I miss the game. I get not wanting to have disk's though, my computer doesnt even have a disk tray! 

Message 28 of 109 (2,244 Views)

Champion

@ashleamary27 , in 2018 EA made the decision to "sunset" or retire the game. This meant that there would be no more active patches or updates to the game. Around this same time, EA ended the "free giveaway" with proof of purchase of the game and also retired any codes that had not been redeemed at this point. At some point, the law of diminishing returns comes into play and it just isn't feasible to continue to support a game that no longer generates income for the company. Sims 2 is of course an older game, but the man power to continue to code and upgrade the game cost far more than the game would ever make back. EA chose to allocate manpower and resources to other projects.

In regards to a CD/DVD disk drive, my computer doesn't have one built in either. However, I an external drive and it runs fine. They are not expensive and can be found fairly easily on either the internet or electronics store. 

Message 29 of 109 (2,229 Views)

★★ Guide

To those on this thread who have the disk versions of the game and are unable to install the game on windows 8 and 10

To get the sims 2 to work on window 10, you need to have some specific files saved from an installation on a previous version of windows. There are many youtube videos which provide links to these files. Since upgrading to newer versions of windows over time, my first attempt to install sims 2 and dlc was with windows 7 and I had the issue of TS2upd.exe error but it can be easily fixed by downloading these files and replacing the ones found in the folder for the base game. 

The video I have found just now is titled "How to Install 'The Sims 2' on Windows 8 & 10 (TS2upd.exe Error)" by Bethaknee and is 2:28 minutes long. This will explain it in more detail, but it is rather simple and I have done it multiple times when moving to new laptops.

Message 30 of 109 (2,168 Views)