Re: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection not working on Windows 8

by BrentVD98

Original Post

★★ Novice

Hi everyone!

This is what I posted in another thread :

I had the same problem - freezing, and stuff... - but

1. I realized that the game was just *über* slow, which lead me to...
  2. the answer on pcgamingwiki.com.

I quote:

Games designed before the release of multi-core CPUs may have issues on newer CPUs with multiple cores and Hyperthreading. If The Sims 2 does not progress in loading at startup, try the following:

Run the game.
    Open Task Manager, and right-click the game's process. Click "Go to details".
    Right-click The Sims 2's process under details and click Set Affinity.
    Untick all CPUs except CPU 0.

This setting is not saved and needs to be repeated after startup whenever necessary. Note that with the Ultimate Collection or any installation with many Stuff and Expansion packs, the initial loading screen will always take some time due to the amount of content included. 

And it worked for me :-) even if it's annoying to run through the whole process everytime.

Hope this will help you!

Message 41 of 64 (4,086 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Well, my game doesn't even appear in task manager. So, I'm not able to do that...

Message 42 of 64 (4,082 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Im having the same problem i click on it and my mouse will load but the game never comes up??

Message 43 of 64 (4,049 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Apparently if you just let it sit it's supposed to load. I just found that out... It worked for me. My friend told me it took her about 6 minutes of waiting.

Message 44 of 64 (4,034 Views)

★★ Novice

I was having this problem for sure...but after i updated my laptop to 8.1 its worked for a while then today i tried to play and i couldn't even get past the intro!

Message 45 of 64 (4,013 Views)

★★ Novice

@MilleVitasVixi wrote:

Hi everyone!

This is what I posted in another thread :

I had the same problem - freezing, and stuff... - but

1. I realized that the game was just *über* slow, which lead me to...
  2. the answer on pcgamingwiki.com.

I quote:

Games designed before the release of multi-core CPUs may have issues on newer CPUs with multiple cores and Hyperthreading. If The Sims 2 does not progress in loading at startup, try the following:

Run the game.
    Open Task Manager, and right-click the game's process. Click "Go to details".
    Right-click The Sims 2's process under details and click Set Affinity.
    Untick all CPUs except CPU 0.

This setting is not saved and needs to be repeated after startup whenever necessary. Note that with the Ultimate Collection or any installation with many Stuff and Expansion packs, the initial loading screen will always take some time due to the amount of content included. 

And it worked for me :-) even if it's annoying to run through the whole process everytime.

Hope this will help you!

Tried your solution but still freezes on the fun with pets screen.

Message 46 of 64 (3,880 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I was have the exact same problem. I was about to cry when u tried the 5th time to open it. I left it on when I went to do something and i came back and it loaded! So try waiting even if task manager says it not responding. WAIT. Lol
Message 47 of 64 (3,582 Views)

★ Apprentice

I would think if it isn't responding after 10 minutes, then it truly is frozen, but my loading screen (with the little words on the bottom) took 30 minutes the first time. That isn't normal and went away. 

If you've never actually had it load (and waited) then you're experiencing a problem/glitch/bug, and not delayed loadings. 

Message 48 of 64 (3,579 Views)

★★ Novice

Does not work here, because right after I click to open the game, going 5 seconds, the process is automatically terminated. The game don't opens.  I use a Windows 8.1 with Onboard AMD Graphic Card.

Message 49 of 64 (3,284 Views)

★★ Novice

I get to the sims 2 fun with pets screen wait half an hour nothing happens anyone know a fix?

Message 50 of 64 (2,944 Views)