Re: The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff The application has crashed

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff The application has crashed

★ Apprentice

The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff The application has crashed. The application will now terminate

Is what keeps popping up every time I try to launch the game.

So far:

I have done a clean install.

I have edited the graphics rules.sgr, added my graphics card to the video cards.sgr, and edited my texture memory

running the game with the pre-patched .exe

Tried every single compatibility mode

Replaced the paul.dll

I still cannot launch the game and I still have nothing in My Docs except for "Log" and "Teleport".

Message 1 of 12 (21,371 Views)

Accepted Solution

★ Apprentice

I'm updating in case anyone else gets stuck like I did. The issue is that Sims 2 needs DX9 and Windows 10 dropped support for it. I needed to use dxvk to fix this issue. I have no idea if links are allowed but it's the first result when you search for it. Use their d3d9.dll  in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin and the issue goes away.

View in thread

Message 5 of 12 (21,166 Views)

All Replies

Champion

@ofmanynames , are you playing from disks or Origin? If you are playing from disks, you do need to patch the game with the 4GB patch as that fixes many issues with the game. 

Once you have patched the game, move the Sims 2 folder (found Documents > EA Games > Sims 2) to your Desktop. Do not copy and paste or create a shortcut. Actually move the file to your Desktop. This will allow the game to create a new folder and will start your game in a vanilla state with no CC/Mods or saved games. If the game starts up, start a game and play for about an hour to insure that nothing else happens with the game.

Please let me know what happens when you do this.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 12 (21,321 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Tremayne4260 wrote:

@ofmanynames , are you playing from disks or Origin? If you are playing from disks, you do need to patch the game with the 4GB patch as that fixes many issues with the game. 

Once you have patched the game, move the Sims 2 folder (found Documents > EA Games > Sims 2) to your Desktop. Do not copy and paste or create a shortcut. Actually move the file to your Desktop. This will allow the game to create a new folder and will start your game in a vanilla state with no CC/Mods or saved games. If the game starts up, start a game and play for about an hour to insure that nothing else happens with the game.

Please let me know what happens when you do this.

I am instilling Ultimate Edition from Origin itself. I tried moving the sims 2 folder and it did nothing but recreated itself with the same two folder of "teleport" and "log" and crashed yet again. I am not using mods and haven't even gotten the game to actually start.

Message 3 of 12 (21,297 Views)

Champion

@ofmanynames , ok! Sounds like something didn't install right with the game itself. Uninstall the game and try reinstalling it. You will need the Graphics Rule Maker to add your video card to the Graphics Rule.sgr file so that game should run smoothly (once we get the game up and running). So, make sure the EA Games folder is deleted. Once we get the game running the EA Games folder should generate itself upon the first time the game is started up. 

Let me know once you have installed the game once more.

Message 4 of 12 (21,280 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm updating in case anyone else gets stuck like I did. The issue is that Sims 2 needs DX9 and Windows 10 dropped support for it. I needed to use dxvk to fix this issue. I have no idea if links are allowed but it's the first result when you search for it. Use their d3d9.dll  in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin and the issue goes away.

Message 5 of 12 (21,167 Views)

Champion

@ofmanynames , interesting! Thanks for the update! Standard smile

Message 6 of 12 (21,141 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

This may solve the problem, but I don't know how to obtain or install d3d9.dll. It's getting so that I think I will give up playing any Sims games. Frown

Message 7 of 12 (16,103 Views)

Hero
@elsie_d The Sims 2 might be tricky to run sometimes, but there is almost always a way to get it to work, even on Windows 10 and 11. If you can list the version of the game you have and what you've tried so far, we'll have somewhere to start.
You might want to start a new thread, though, because this one is over a year old.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 8 of 12 (16,089 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

It's old yet still relevant. I have the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. I've tried nothing so far except to come here for help. I saw this thread and have the same issue, so I thought it would be okay to resurrect it. Embarrassed

Well, I tried to repair the game and have no mods installed, so there wasn't much I thought I could do.

Message 9 of 12 (16,044 Views)

Champion

@elsie_d , have you used the latest version of Graphics Rule Maker? It's version 2 found on SimNetwork. And also apply the 4GB patch as well. Those both seem to get rid of the DirectX error as that is mostly caused by the game not recognizing your newer graphics card.

Message 10 of 12 (16,019 Views)