[The Sims 2] Compatibility with Windows 8/10

by radiantaubade

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[The Sims 2] Compatibility with Windows 8/10

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Okay, I don't like Sims 3; Sims 2 is the best, I love it so much. I got a new laptop loaded with Windows 8 and I managed to get Sims 2 itself on my laptop but I can't install the patch therefore can't install any expansions. PLEASE MAKE A PATCH THAT MAKES SIMS 2 COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 8! I don't want to have all these Sims 2 games for nothing. >.>

Message 1 of 86 (246,906 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [The Sims 2] COMPATIBILITY WITH WINDOWS 8

★★★ Newbie

I just wanted to share how I was able to get The Sims 2 4 disc PC CD-Rom to work on my windows 8 laptop.

I firstly installed the sims 2 onto one of my family members windows 7 laptop. Once everything was installed and up and running, I went to My Computer - Data. In this folder was another folder called EA Games. 

I put this entire folder onto a USB stick, which took about 25 minutes.

Then I went back to my windows 8 laptop and uploaded this 'EA Games' folder into my Data folder. Again I went to My Computer - Data and then just dropped the folder in there.

I then installed the sims 2 onto my windows 8 laptop. Once it was all installed I right clicked on the Icon on the desktop page went to properties - compatibility - compatibility mode - and selected Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Then I right clicked on the icon again and clicked Run as Administrator. It crashed about 5 times but then just worked. My sims game is now up and running perfectly fine. 

I hope this helps! 

My laptop is an ASUS x501u.

View in thread

Message 7 of 86 (258,483 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

Hi! I just wanted to share my solution to this problem.  I was also having a great deal of trouble installing my Sims 2 games on my new HP laptop, which has Windows 8.  I was only able to successfully install The Sims 2 (4 CD pack), University Life Collection, and Open for Business Collection.  Every other expansion asked me to insert the Sims 2 Disk 4 to ensure that the Sims 2 was updated.  Each time, the update suddenly terminated, and the game would un-install itself from my laptop. 

Well, after some prodding around and stumbled upon this solution.  I hope it works for others as well. 

First, I must mention that I purchased a new laptop b/c the keyboard, mouse, and USB ports stopped working suddenly on my old laptop.  I had to remove the hard drive from my old laptop and make it into an external hard drive but I don't think that is necessary though.  I copied and pasted all my games from the old hard drive in the Programs file to the Programs (x86) file in Windows 8. 

After I transferred all the games from my old HD to the new laptop, I went into the EA Games folder in "Program Files," and then went into  Sims 2" folder.  Within that folder is a folder titled, "TSBin."  In that folder, you should find two files called "TSUPD" and "TSUPD00."  I double clicked both of those applications and rec'd messages saying The Sims 2 was successfully updated.  Since that was successful, I decided to try to install the patch for the Sims 2 again.  The other night I couldn't get the patch to install.  Guess what? This time, it successfully installed.  So, I went into each of my expansion packs in the Program Files and double clicked those TSUPD files.  Each time, the installations were successful (i.e., indicated that the Sims 2 was already updated). 

After that, I decided to install Nightlife to see what happened.  This time, I was asked to install the Sims 2 Disk 1, and it was successful! It told me the Sims 2 was already updated! Yay! I went into the game and saw that Nightlife had uploaded.  Now, I did this a couple of days ago, but I don't think the other expansion packs asked me for any of the Sims 2 disks. YAY! I was able to install all of my expansions successfully.  I entered after each installation to make sure everything looked okay. 

I then installed, or rather copied, all my old games and custom content into the file in "Documents" where that stuff is stored on Windows 8.  Everything showed up in the game!  Yesterday, I played for about 2-3 hours straight w/o the game crashing at all.  I did not enter CAS though.  Tonight, I played for another 2-3 hours w/no problems!

Anyway, I'm very pleased! I would have hated to lose my games!  Please share this w/anyone who asks b/c this solution may work for others!

Here is what I installed:

The Sims 2

University Life Collection (includes IKEA Home and Teen style)

Nightlife

Open for Business (includes Kitchen and Home and something else)

Seasons
Bon Voyage

Free Time

Apartment Life

- I don't own Pets!

Message 2 of 86 (244,084 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just a quick message to say a big thankyou to the response above, worked perfectly for my Sims 2 expansions and I can now confirm this method also works for Sims 2: Pets.

Message 3 of 86 (243,784 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

la214la wrote: 

After I transferred all the games from my old HD to the new laptop, I went into the EA Games folder in "Program Files," and then went into  Sims 2" folder.  Within that folder is a folder titled, "TSBin."  In that folder, you should find two files called "TSUPD" and "TSUPD00."  I double clicked both of those applications and rec'd messages saying The Sims 2 was successfully updated.  Since that was successful, I decided to try to install the patch for the Sims 2 again.  The other night I couldn't get the patch to install.  Guess what? This time, it successfully installed.  So, I went into each of my expansion packs in the Program Files and double clicked those TSUPD files.  Each time, the installations were successful (i.e., indicated that the Sims 2 was already updated). 

Hi,

Sorry but la214la I don't understand how you get to the point of " I went into the EA Games folder in "Program Files," and then went into  Sims 2" folder" where is this folder? I cannot, for the life of me, find this programme files?

Thanks

Message 4 of 86 (243,432 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My niece just got a new laptop with windows 8 on it. She would like to play the Sims 2 on it, but I don't have old files to copy and replace like you did.  I can not get it to update using your method.  Every time I try to double click on the TS2UPT icon, it tries to update it and then crashes.  is there anyone out there that can help me please?  She dearly loved these games and I would love to help her out,

Message 5 of 86 (242,717 Views)

★★★ Newbie

on windows 8 get to program files by clicking on the file in the task bar at the bottom of the desktop, then click on  Computer , then  on the icon under hard disc driver that represents your computer,   one of the files will say Program files,   tho on mine ea games is under "Program Files (x86)"  ... hope that helps

Message 6 of 86 (242,363 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just wanted to share how I was able to get The Sims 2 4 disc PC CD-Rom to work on my windows 8 laptop.

I firstly installed the sims 2 onto one of my family members windows 7 laptop. Once everything was installed and up and running, I went to My Computer - Data. In this folder was another folder called EA Games. 

I put this entire folder onto a USB stick, which took about 25 minutes.

Then I went back to my windows 8 laptop and uploaded this 'EA Games' folder into my Data folder. Again I went to My Computer - Data and then just dropped the folder in there.

I then installed the sims 2 onto my windows 8 laptop. Once it was all installed I right clicked on the Icon on the desktop page went to properties - compatibility - compatibility mode - and selected Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Then I right clicked on the icon again and clicked Run as Administrator. It crashed about 5 times but then just worked. My sims game is now up and running perfectly fine. 

I hope this helps! 

My laptop is an ASUS x501u.

Message 7 of 86 (258,484 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone,

I have tried to do everything that has been suggested but when I install the expansion packs and when they require disk 4 of Sims 2, they crash. 

I went to Program Files-EA Games-Sims2-TSBIN but then there were no "TSUPD" and "TSUPD00". I did find them in the expansion packs though so I clicked on them which did not work. 

I then, using an external hard drive, tried to move my ea game files over to my new laptop (Windows 8) but now they do not exist.

This is very annoying because I want to continue playing the Sims 2 with my expansion packs. I have already lost all of my previous games.

Please help me!

Thank you Standard smile

Message 8 of 86 (239,542 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for sharing it worked great for all my expansion packs

Message 9 of 86 (238,857 Views)

★★★ Novice

Please help make a patch.  I love sims 2.  I love the game so much.  It makes my day to play it when I am having a really bad day.  Please please please will even purchase the patch.

Thank you

Tammy

Message 10 of 86 (211,247 Views)