Re: [The Sims 2] COMPATIBILITY WITH WINDOWS 8

by markski1

Original Post

★★ Novice
I am still having this issues. I think it's in very poor taste that EA continues to pump out new versions of an existing game that is full of bugs and errors. Give me one good reason why I should continue spending my extremely hard earned money on these pieces of garbage? I have been having this issue for three months now. I own the entire set of Sims 2 games and I have a new hp laptop with windows 8 installed and up to date, I have internet explorer installed and up to date, as well as the Google chrome browser, also up to date. The Game Launcher seems to be incompatible with Windows 8. I have tried everything in order to make this work and I am just about fed up. I am ready to uninstall these games and never spend a single cent on another EA product as long as I live! I'm about to blare it across my Facebook and my twitter that EA is a soulless, filthy money grubbing company that has no interest whatsoever in putting out a quality product. I would like to see this issue addressed at the very least, otherwise EA has lost a loyal customer. But I'm sure they don't care. Clearly.
Message 21 of 86 (116,205 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

don't use the launcher, that was an issue quite awhile ago (i remember having to bypass it on XP)

here's a vid on how to bypass the launcher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpCYSLTBKc

Message 22 of 86 (116,144 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have all sims versións and expansions and I love sims 2 but can run it on Windows 8 please help me

Message 23 of 86 (116,106 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i just got a new laptop recently and decided to install my sims 2 game and a few of my expansions because i havent played in ages. sims2 (origional) installed easily, but every expansion i've tried to install has crashed after i put in disc 4 of sims 2. i then decided to just play the origional version without any of the extras and got told that i couldnt play it due to compatibility issues :\ is there any way i could fix this and continue to play sims 2 on my new computer? i really dont want to go and get sims 3

Message 24 of 86 (115,633 Views)

★★ Novice

I was just talking to a great EA advisor and they said that they would contact there supervisor about the issue and they would Try and fix the problem! I highly recomend talking to them for more advice! Thanks EA  Confusedmileyhappy: 

Message 25 of 86 (115,450 Views)

★★ Novice

I was just talking to a great EA advisor and they said that they would contact there supervisor about the issue and they would Try and fix the problem! I highly recommend talking to them for more advice! Thanks EA  Confusedmileyhappy: 

Message 26 of 86 (115,441 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi everyone,

So I too have purchased a Windows 8 (actually win 8.1) laptop over a month ago and would very much like to continue playing with SIMS 2.

I have a rather long story (sorry) so I have just put Contest and Problem so if you do not want to read through all of it you can get straight to the point.

CONTEST

At first it hadn't even occurred to me that the game may not be compatible with Win 8, I have been passing it from laptop to laptop for years (Win XP – Win 7) and never had any problem.

I have always simply installed the base and the expansions (trying to follow the order I purchased them, but sometimes I was not sure and I surely must have done it wrong) and then copied and pasted the old saved games (EA GAMES – The Sims 2 folder) over the EA GAMES folder which the game creates automatically while installing.

That is what I did also on my new computer and at first it worked wonderfully. The different expansions updated themselves while installing and the game loaded perfectly with my old saved games. I actually played the game and saved it and loaded it again.

After a while I started having problems, like the game crashed once while a robber was entering a house and I was trying (possibly too hard) to stop my sims from jumping out of bed to go see what was happening. I was trying to have them go back to bed and “let the police do their job”.

I also noticed the game was especially slow when changing the clothes and appearance of the sims.

Another time it crashed when I tried to send a seem to a common lot.

I thought it was maybe overloaded.

(I have never managed to send a sim to a common lot on this computer.)

PROBLEM

What happens now is that the game starts, it loads the neighborhood (bellevue) but then instead of the view of the different houses to choose from I only see a black screen with the blue arrow cursor, which moves and actually turns into a star when on an active house. I click on it but it is still all black.

At this point I press start on the keyboard and go back to desktop, from there by clicking on the game icon on the application bar at the bottom of the screen I open the game again and I can see the neighborhood. I proceed then to load a family. The game loads it almost completely and toward the very end of the loading I get an irreversible error.

I should add the following:

I do not have any downloaded material

My games are all original

I regularly use the boolprop trick and have used it on this computer already.

I have never installed patches, just regular games.

Now after surfing the internet:

I have checked compatibility on all expansions and set it to Win XP service pack2. This helped once but not anymore.

I have tried uninstalling the last expansions and installing them back, again it worked once, and doesn't anymore.

Recently the game was working when I took away the saved games and let it create a new saving folder, but once I put back the saved games I get the same error at the exact same point. Also the black screen of the neighborhood happens all the time either way.

I will try all that has been suggested here up to now, but I have posted this anyway because my problem seems different from all I have read up to now.

I am thinking it may be something wrong with the saved games, but they still work perfectly on my old win 7 laptop...

Honestly I am at a loss, so if anyone has suggestions or explainations I would appreciate it very much, for it all does not seem to make much sense to me..

THANKS and I apologize for writing a 10 pages essay and also for my many English mistakes.

Message 27 of 86 (115,313 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, for some reason when I went into The Sims 2 file, there was no TSbin file there, so this advice wasn't helpful, 

I really don't understand because I installed The Sims 2 last night and it worked perfectly, then tonight I tried to install Nightlife and now The Sims 2 vanilla won't work at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 28 of 86 (115,295 Views)

★★ Novice

yes but did the patches install?  without the patches wont the game be full of errors?

Message 29 of 86 (114,882 Views)

★★ Novice

also I have only a TSBin and not the other one and when I click on it it just opens a folder.  "TSUPD" and "TSUPD0" don't exist.

Message 30 of 86 (92,085 Views)