Re: The Sims 1 On Origin?

by Wackyweirdochic

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 1 On Origin?

★★★ Apprentice

I've been around the Sims forum communities and apparently EA has no current plans on releasing The Sims 1 on Origin, because it's "too old". I think that the game should definitely be released on Origin like The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection was. I'd buy it and so would many other die-hard simmers!

Anyways, I did some digging on Origin and searched some EA games and stumbled across Populous (released in 1989) and Theme Hospital (released in 1997).

Both were published by EA (click the links to the game titles to see screenshot evidence from origin itself), so the excuse of The Sims 1 being "too old" isn't a valid enough, since it was released in 2000. 

EA, please consider releasing the first sims on Origin. I will dip into my pockets to purchase purchase it for sure. I own The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, all of The Sims 3 EPs/SPs (currently working on owning the store and all worlds), and most of The Sims 4 packs (currently working on saving up to buy the missing packs I don't own) on Origin and am intending on purchasing The Sims Complete Collection in the near future. I know I'm probably betting on an impossibility here, but Electronic Arts, I know y'all aren't against making more money and plus, if the game is added on Origin for purchase or even better--an anniversary promotional event like y'all did for TS2--it'll be a convenience for simmers who have bad luck with keeping up with their games or bad luck with horrible computers. There's a huge benefit of having games connected to Origin: if I were to ever lose a pack or two or if my laptop crashed, I could just easily log back into my Origin to re-download my game library. 

This is coming from someone who plays The Sims 2, The Sims 3, and The Sims 4 and loves all of them for different reasons, since each is special in their own way. It'd mean so much to many simmers if The Sims 1 was released on Origin. Please consider. 

Message 1 of 17 (55,583 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

I agree that i'd like to see it too. One thing worth noting is that many of these older games were made available on GOG.com first, and then made available on Origin. I see a big thread on the GOG wishlist forum so you're far from alone in this request: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/the_sims_complete_collection

On the "too old", that can be a bit misleading. The issue generally isn't that a game would be too old, but that there could be compatibility issues with newer systems. 

The old games that are available have changes made to ensure they'll work on modern systems. Due to the existence of DOSBox and the comparatively simple nature of some older games, sometimes it's easier/less time-consuming to update certain games over others. Perhaps reviving The Sims 1 would be a significant technical challenge.

I'm just speculating though, I have no specific info on the technical challenges of bringing The Sims 1 to modern systems. 

Thanks for the post, and I hope that some day your request can be met. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 17 (66,840 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

I agree that i'd like to see it too. One thing worth noting is that many of these older games were made available on GOG.com first, and then made available on Origin. I see a big thread on the GOG wishlist forum so you're far from alone in this request: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/the_sims_complete_collection

On the "too old", that can be a bit misleading. The issue generally isn't that a game would be too old, but that there could be compatibility issues with newer systems. 

The old games that are available have changes made to ensure they'll work on modern systems. Due to the existence of DOSBox and the comparatively simple nature of some older games, sometimes it's easier/less time-consuming to update certain games over others. Perhaps reviving The Sims 1 would be a significant technical challenge.

I'm just speculating though, I have no specific info on the technical challenges of bringing The Sims 1 to modern systems. 

Thanks for the post, and I hope that some day your request can be met. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 17 (66,841 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

That makes much more sense with compatibility issues and whatnot. Large smile It makes me understand more as someone who isn't very tech savvy or very technologically inclined. As someone with no experience in videogame development, I will in the future always take that into consideration. 

Thanks for your insight and for your hoping the request could someday be met. 

Message 3 of 17 (55,465 Views)

★★★ Novice

I To hope EA will release TS1 and all of its Expansions on origin because i to would love to play TS1 again, i have been playing this series from TS1 to TS4 but i still want to play TS1 i miss playing that game so very much and now on windows 10 i cant and i am not going to download a patch to my computer just to play it i researched that and alot of people like me that cant play TS1 on windows 10 downloaded a patch and still cant play it so Ea PLEASE bring it out on origin i will buy every single expansion again to play this awsome game once more, ive been a simmer for 17 years now all i want is to play and enjoy getting to play TS1 again ole how i miss playing makin magic and my favorite sims is Clair Charming and her cute dog Luna miss playing with them and the Goth family Frown TS1 is what started my obsession 17 years ago with this game series and i am 44 going on 45 years old this January and still a sims freak so again Please EA bring it out on origin Standard smile always a loyal dedicated fan Margie Byrge <3

Message 4 of 17 (51,972 Views)

★★ Novice

What I find odd is that they have tech support for it, which implies that it is locked away in the origin server.

Message 5 of 17 (46,008 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm a "newbie" and I really have the right to play the classics. This is franchise history.  you can not break it in half for ease. Fans of the franchise have that right. I hope EA gets better at it. Look at the fans. And not for the easier.

Message 6 of 17 (40,238 Views)

★★ Novice

Up

Message 7 of 17 (31,969 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'd love to have a digital version of The Sims 1. Surely, there's a demand for it. I miss that game so much, and it's frustrating to not be able to play it. Is there a way we can contact Origin and make suggestions as to what games they should offer?

Message 8 of 17 (30,230 Views)

Champion

@Wuzzlefan , afraid not. EA is very well aware of the demand for older Sims titles to be available on Origin and at this time they have chosen not to pursue doing so. There are many threads here on this particular forum and on the Official Forums asking the same question for not only the original The Sims, but Sims 2 as well. 

To be honest, it would require a lot of work and money to update the older Sims titles for the newer Windows OS and EA has chosen to allocate both manpower and funds to other projects. 

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 9 of 17 (30,203 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Tremayne4260 I guess they will have to deal with people pirating it, then. Everyone loses in this situation.
Message 10 of 17 (30,168 Views)