Sims Medieval- DirectX Setup Error: An Internal Error Occurred (Win10)

by Anjyil

Original Post

Sims Medieval- DirectX Setup Error: An Internal Error Occurred (Win10)

★★ Novice

I  have Windows 10 and I bought Sims Medieval earlier, but I can't get it installed. It finishing downloading, but then when it hits the finalizing stage, it lingers for awhile before something pops up saying "DirectX Setup Error: An Internal Error Occurred". I have talked to the people in the EA Help chat twice today and here are some of the things they recommended that didn't work out or confused me:

1. Update DirectX
-Windows 10 updates this whenever there's a system update and there is no update available at this time

2. Update my graphics card
-Used a program from Intel that scans to see if any of their programs on your computer are out of date and this one came back as fine.

3. Download and install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
-Went to install it, but was told by the program that it can't installed because it is already on my computer and I'd have to uninstall what is on my computer first. I looked into it and found not only a version of 2015 already on my computer, but multiple versions of 2013 and I think 2008 as well. Not sure how to precede with this method.

4. Delete Origin cache.

-Did it. Didn't help.

5. Close any background applications that may conflict with Origin.

-Confused about what this has to do with the installation process.

6. Delete temporary files.
-Did this. Didn't help.

7. Disable IGO - Origin in game overlay (IGO)
-Was never on to begin with.

8. Run Game repair and update.

-Can't do this because its not installed....

So what can I do to make this game work? I've been wanting to play this game since it came out 7 years ago and I finally got it and now things have to go wrong :/ Please help with this so I can finally play the game.

Message 1 of 5 (1,189 Views)

Re: Sims Medieval- DirectX Setup Error: An Internal Error Occurred (Win10)

★★★ Newbie

I am having this same problem at this moment and nothing I have done works. Did you ever get any help?

Message 2 of 5 (1,015 Views)

Champion

@Diamondlea2 , Sims 3 and Sims Medieval share the same game engine. However, here is the latest thread on how to get SIms Medieval to work on Windows 10.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-The-Sims-Games/The-Sims-Medieval-and-Windows-8-10-Compatibility/m-p/...

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 5 (1,009 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I had this problem when trying to install the sims medieval through origin. I have been trying to figure out a fix for over a year now. I have a windows 10. Tried to upgrade directx but it said I had a newer version. I read somewhere that the directx file was the same as sims 3. I happen to have sims 3 installed by Origin and it works great. So I went into the program files to where sims 3 was installed and went ito game/installer and copied the directx file and pasted it in program files where sims medieval is installed. After that I got on to origin launcher and tried to install again and this time it installed. This is the only way I have been able to fix the problem. However without Sims 3 installed and coping the file over, I don't know of another fix. Also don't know if it would work with a disc version of the sims 3. So I don't think redownloading and all the options that EA gave to try to fix it will work. When origin trys in install the sims medieval the directx file is somehow corrupted. It needs to be fixed by Origin or by replacing it. At least that is my opinion.

Message 4 of 5 (676 Views)

Champion

@shandra2583 , thanks for sharing your experience. I will keep this in mind.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 5 (659 Views)