Re: Sims 2 Ultimate collection won't launch windows 10

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Sims 2 Ultimate collection won't launch windows 10

★ Novice

I really hope someone can help me, I have the Sims 2 Ultiamte Collection which was working fine around September 2019 on my PC. I have not changed anything about my PC apart from updating my graphics software, but I cannot launch the Sims 2 anymore. When I select play through the origins launcher, it says that I'm "in game" when looking at the friends list, however no Sims 2 icon pops up nor does it show up on Task Manager. I have followed the guide here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19JMr-FQSU3AlF7Kyvcrr7awTiHBDQSUNLG6qfaI6rOs/edit# and installed the 4GB memory patch etc. I've tried playing in windows mode, I've edited the graphics rule file as instructed by other forums, I've tried launching in various compatibility modes and nothing was worked at all. Please help!

Message 1 of 5 (1,241 Views)

Champion

@daisyboo95 , when you updated your graphics software, that may have done something to the game. What you may have to do is uninstall and reinstall the game. So what you should do is the following before uninstall and reinstalling. First, locate your Sims 2 folder (found Documents > EA Games > Sims 2) and move to your Desktop. Do not copy and paste or create a shortcut. Actually move the folder to your Desktop. This will keep your saved games, CC and mods safe. Next, if you did edit your Graphics Rules.sgr file make a copy of this and place the copy in a file on your Desktop. 

Now, you should be able to uninstall and reinstall your game. I'm not sure if you need to apply the 4GB patch as I think the Origin version is already patched to the current version and includes the 4GB patch automatically. You should be able to add copies of your Graphics Rules.sgr file back since you copied your edited copy and moved it to your Desktop. I changed all the files in the game to my edited one and the game runs fine. You might need to do the same. 

Once you have done this, start up the game to allow for a new Sims 2 folder to regenerate. If the game starts up ok, play for about an hour or so (none of your saved games, CC or mods will be present) to make sure the game works and no additional problems are occurring. You can saved or not, that is your choice. 

If everything works ok, you can then add back your CC, mods and saved games. 

Please keep me updated and if you need help adding back your saved games.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 5 (1,203 Views)

★ Novice

Hello! Thank you so much for the prompt reply, this did mostly work although I've had to run the game in windows mode otherwise it sort of zooms in on my desktop and doesn't actually run the game? The only issue I have with this is the window mode (through origins) is super small and only takes up 1/3 of my screen. Do you know how to change this? Also when I want to copy my previous towns over, do I reply all the files the new installation made or only the ones containing my town?

Thanks so much!

Message 3 of 5 (1,168 Views)

★ Novice

No worries, I figured it out and it's working great now! Thanks again

Message 4 of 5 (1,149 Views)

Champion

@daisyboo95 , Wonderful! Happy Simming!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 5 (1,134 Views)