Sims 2 Ultimate Collection free from Origin: Won't Run?

by StaggyH

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 2 Ultimate Collection free from Origin: Won't Run?

★ Apprentice
I've downloaded & installed the Ultimate Collection from Origin, but I can't get the game to play at all.

I'm using Windows 8.1, I've tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP, Vista and 7 but none of them work.

What I've noticed is when I double click on The Sims desktop symbol, it appears in my task manager processes for about 60 seconds. The CPU usage goes up to about 60 then quickly drops to 0 before closing/disappearing from task manager. So it's TRYING to run, but it's not working.

I've also tried to open it from file location but it won't open there. I tried to open another file (I think it's called something like Sims 2 update) but I get a pop-up that says the game isn't installed or isn't installed properly on my computer. So I uninstalled it then downloaded it again, but nope. Still no luck.

I also have Sims 3 on my laptop from Origin. Works just fine.

Help meee! Haha. I'm so disappointed I can't get it to work.
Message 1 of 102 (46,960 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 2 Ultimate Collection free from Origin: Won't Run?

Community Manager

Heya everyone, please note the article about this issue which contains instructions and a download link for the paul.dll: http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-2-faulting-application-path-workaround/

Some players loading up The Sims 2 have reported finding an error reporting a "Faulting Application Path," along with a few other bits of data, as follows:

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Sims2EP9.exe
Application Version: 1.17.0.66
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: PAUL.DLL
Fault Module Version: 4.1.1.20
Fault Module Timestamp: 4c9bc521

If you've come face-to-face with this error, try the following workaround to get back in the game:

1. Download paul.dll from here on EA Help.
  2. Find the file location C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\
    1. ​You can do this by clicking the Start button, selecting [My] Computer, then opening your C: drive.
    2. If you've set a custom Origin Games installation folder, your file path will look different preceding Origin Games.
  3. Copy paul.dll and paste it into the TSBin folder and confirm you'd like to replace the previous file.

Once you've replaced your faulty paul.dll file, you should be able to jump into The Sims 2 without a problem!

• Note, using Origin's Repair Installation feature on your The Sims 2 installation after performing this swap will update the paul.dll file you replaced back to its original, error-causing file.

View in thread

Message 85 of 102 (20,932 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Could you post this info: 

1. Click on Start and then type the following into the search prompt at the bottom: perfmon /rel
  2. Press Enter to proceed.
  3. A window will open and in there you can click on the red circles with a white X.
  4. After clicking the X, the info on the bottom will update. Choose the Sims 2 Critical Event one and right click on it and choose "View Technical Details"
  5. Now on the next window, choose Copy to clipboard at the very bottom and post this into a reply to us here.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 102 (46,857 Views)

★ Apprentice
Okay I'll do that now.
Message 3 of 102 (46,855 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Sims2EP9.exe

Application Version: 1.17.0.66

Application Timestamp: 00000000

Fault Module Name: PAUL.DLL

Fault Module Version: 4.1.1.20

Fault Module Timestamp: 4c9bc521

Exception Code: c0000094

Exception Offset: 0001bd7b

OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 4b2c

Additional Information 2: 4b2cda73e3e85bf8039247a64e4f065d

Additional Information 3: 8356

Additional Information 4: 835608f7c75e0f26482f830bade0df71

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: c7def9f87da436c488593216e0dc6c99 (73393665615)

Message 4 of 102 (46,850 Views)

Hero

Paul.dll

There are many people that have the same issue. Something seems to be conflicting with that version of paul.dll on your computer.

Do you have any download version of Sims 3 or Sims Medievial on your computer ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 102 (46,845 Views)

★ Apprentice
I have The Sims 3, no expansions or anything. Just the base game.
Message 6 of 102 (46,841 Views)

Hero

Did you download the Sims 3 or do you have the disc version ?

If you have the download one, find the paul.dll file in your Sims 3 folder somewhere (unsure where it is exactly) and try if you can copy that over to the Sims 2 folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\)

Move the paul.dll from your Sims 2 folder to the desktop first (to have a backup), then copy the one from Sims 3 over to see if it then starts.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 102 (46,831 Views)

★ Apprentice
I have the downloaded version, not from the disc. I'll try that.
Message 8 of 102 (46,825 Views)

Hero

@StaggyH Did this work for you ? What version/date does the paul.dll have you moved over ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 102 (46,787 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice
I have no idea. I didn't look at dates, I replaced the Paul.dll file from Sims 2 with with one from Sims 3, then I went back into my Origin launcher, right clicked on Sims 2 and clicked 'repair game' and after it was finished repairing it all worked! It took a long time to load and at one point it said not responding, but I waited for a bit and it's all running perfectly.
I'm posting from my phone at the moment.
Message 10 of 102 (46,779 Views)