Sims 2 Problems

by kaydee777

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 2 Problems

★★★ Novice

Hello! I've done many many searches but cannot find anything that describes my issue exactly so here I am. I just bought a new laptop so I could play Sims 2 (and 3) from the comfort of my couch. It's an HP Omen, Nvidia GeForce 3060 graphics card. When I install the game, it loads up fine and will even do the pan across the neighborhood, and then when that ends and the next pop up appears, I get basically graphics confetti and it locks up and I have to restart the laptop. I have tried it with the GRM,, without the GRM, I tried manually editing the graphics file, I tried using Lazy Duchess's launcher and even starting it totally vanilla and none of that has worked.  I also tried making it compatible with Windows Vista instead of 11 and that didn't work either.  I've been playing the Sims a long time and am pretty savvy about fixing/modding the game but this time I am stumped 🤔.  Attached is a screenshot of the graphics modern art.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 10 (1,392 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 2 Problems

★★★ Novice
@Tremayne4260 Hi and thanks for replying. Yes it's Sims 2 as the title indicates Standard smile and I did have the most recent GRM, but I figured out what the problem was! My laptop has two settings for gaming, discrete and hybrid and we discovered it has to be set to discrete so it only pulls from the one graphics card. Once I switched that it worked great.

View in thread

Message 3 of 10 (1,340 Views)

All Replies

Champion

@kaydee777 , is this Sims 2? And yes, it appears to the game does not recognize the graphics card. Make sure you are running the latest version of Graphics Rule Maker (from Sims Network. Version 2 I think) and apply the 4GB patch as well (found on Mod the Sims). 

Keep us posted.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 10 (1,347 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Tremayne4260 Hi and thanks for replying. Yes it's Sims 2 as the title indicates Standard smile and I did have the most recent GRM, but I figured out what the problem was! My laptop has two settings for gaming, discrete and hybrid and we discovered it has to be set to discrete so it only pulls from the one graphics card. Once I switched that it worked great.
Message 3 of 10 (1,341 Views)

Champion

@kaydee777 , thanks for the information!

Message 4 of 10 (1,316 Views)

★ Apprentice

How do I find this in my settings?

Message 5 of 10 (1,275 Views)

Champion

@kaydee777 , where did you locate this setting as others are asking?  Thanks!

Message 6 of 10 (1,255 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@sbgiscool Unfortunately, this setting is only available on the HP Omen Laptops, in the Omen Gaming Hub.  It was an issue specific to that type of laptop.  

Message 7 of 10 (1,241 Views)

★ Apprentice
@kaydee777 Ok thanks
Message 8 of 10 (1,222 Views)

Hero
@sbgiscool You can try forcing the game to default to discrete graphics in your system settings. Press the Windows key + I, then go to System > Display > Graphics Settings. Add the executable for Sims2EP9.exe (or whatever the latest released pack you own is) and set it to run on the High Performance graphics.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 9 of 10 (1,206 Views)

★ Apprentice
@mate54 Thank You!!!
Message 10 of 10 (1,196 Views)