Sims 2, Can't uninstall base game (Win 10, disc)

by DragonPeaks

Original Post

Sims 2, Can't uninstall base game (Win 10, disc)

★★★★ Novice

When I try to uninstall the base game I get this message: "You currently have one or more expansion packs installed. You must uninstall all the expansion packs before uninstalling The Sims 2."

The only Sims 2 game I have installed is the base game, I recently deleted the rest (all EP & SP). I've tried Revo Uninstaller & Control Panel.

I've removed all games from the Windows Registry except from the MuiCache. When I try I receive this message: "Deleting certain registry values could cause system instability. Are you sure you want to permanently delete this value?"

I don't see any Sims files in my C: Drive except for the base game. (Well, except for things I downloaded that won't go away. Nothing from the EA files.)

Message 1 of 9 (1,384 Views)

Re: Sims 2, Can't uninstall base game (Win 10, disc)

★★★★ Novice

I fixed it. Standard smile Leftover packs were in the Windows Registry. Found them using Hunting Mode in Revo Uninstaller.

Message 2 of 9 (1,362 Views)

Champion

@DragonPeaks , wonderful!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 9 (1,347 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi, could you please help me? I'm having the same issue you had previously where I am trying to uninstall Sims 2 from my PC and keep getting the message "You currently have one or more expansion packs installed. You must uninstall all the expansion packs before uninstalling The Sims 2", despite having gone through and uninstalled each pack one by one. Like you, the only thing I see in C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES is the base game.

I see you managed to sort it by finding leftover packs using revo uninstaller? I've downloaded this but can't figure out how to find these hidden packs that are causing this issue. I'd really appreciate a step by step guide on how you managed to fix this! Thanks in advance Standard smile 

Message 4 of 9 (830 Views)

Champion

@Violett7799 , I Googled Hunter Mode Revo Uninstaller and found a list of step by step instructions. Also on the website was a link to a YouTube video. Due to the rules of this forum, I cannot add a link to the site or video. 

Message 5 of 9 (808 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the instructions and video on how to use Hunter Mode, so I understand how to use it to uninstall a program. However what I am unsure on is how to use the tool to find the hidden 'leftover packs' that I have already uninstalled. 

Message 6 of 9 (799 Views)

Hero
@Violett7799 If there are any leftovers, you can look for their registry entries and remove them manually. After that, you can try uninstalling the base game. Remember to back up any entries you delete so you can restore them in case something goes wrong.

https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Uninstall#Remove_Registry_Entries

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 9 (782 Views)

★ Novice

I’ve followed the instructions in that post you linked, and there are no signs of any packs in the Windows Registry. However I am still not able to uninstall the base game as it says ‘I have one or more packs installed’. I was wondering if OP found some way of finding hidden files using Revo Uninstaller that wasn’t mentioned in that Mod The Sims article. 

Message 8 of 9 (760 Views)

Champion

@Violett7799 , do you still have an EA Games folder in your Documents? If so, drag it to your Desktop and see if that then allows you to install the game.

Message 9 of 9 (704 Views)