Re: Remastering The Sims 1

by XemnessHD

Original Post

@abc1065066219  Sims 1 aged nicely, due to his graphic engine. But it does show its age. I agree that would be nice to see a remastered version, without any gameplay changes, only a graphic update. Sims 2 and Sims 3 were innovative and Sims 4 has its merits, but i'd wish to be less social and with the big areas that Sims 2 and Sims 3 offered. You could do small cities in those two older Sims titles. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 21 of 29 (1,499 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I adored The Sims 1. The storyline for your sims was a blank slate! The build editor for shopping and housing lots was fantastic. I do like how the sims age in The Sims 2, though. (You can always use a code to turn aging in The Sims 2 if you like.) I liked the fact that you could only have ONE spouse at a time in Sims 1. Then, if you break up they would would move out and just become a townie/spurned lover who came back to steal you paper or kick your trash can over. LOL

OH!! The random events in The Sims 1 were awesome! (Especially when 'Free Will' was turned on.) I really loved how basic Sims 1 was when it came to gameplay. The expansion packs filled in a lot of blanks. 

Off Topic: I downloaded The Sims Mobile because I thought it would be exactly like The Sims 1 just on mobile devices & have better graphics. The LONG events and low paying jobs in The Sims Mobile kind of irk me a bit. Plus, in Sims Mobile you don't even need to take care of them - they have no vitals at all! Frown How can you call it 'The Sims' anything???

Message 22 of 29 (1,490 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I miss The Sims 1 Makin Magic machanics so much.. There could be a sequel inside the lastest The Sims title as an expansion.

Message 23 of 29 (1,354 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Sorry for the revival of the thread, however, I, for some reason, never found this thread when looking for like-minded people. I do check the interwebs every year to see if there are any news about the Sims 1. To your question:

I grew up with the Sims. I think my creativity was majorly influenced by the Sims because all I did was design rooms and houses. I’ve played Sims 1-4 and I have strong opinions about all of them. 

Sims 4 is definitely the weakest instalment. Its limitations regarding building space and story development make it unappealing to me. If we look at what YouTubers do in the Sims 4 it’s mostly designing, but do they actually sit for 10 hours and play their Sims’ story?

Sims 3 is one of the best ones. The moodlets, the story progression, the choices in wishes. With all expansions there is so much to do and I have for sure spent 500 hours in this game because I have used it on three computers now. The big downside is, however, that the game is laggy. It needs mods to run perfectly and even then you encounter issues. Island Paradise is one of the biggest disappointments as it had a story progression system and just doesn’t work.

Sims 2 is incredible. The plot design is unique as you can build your own world. I used to build supermarkets and shops and designed my space from scratch. I used to create endless family trees. The downside was that your neighbouring lots didn’t age. Which meant that you could have twin brothers - one would be dead and the other one still readily available. For story freaks, this was a huge letdown.

Sims 1 had a bit of everything, but it’s the nostalgia that makes it amazing. I still listen to the soundtrack in Spotify. The sheer amount of expansions and random events, the fact that it was actually hard (10 friends at the same time for a promotion?) gave you the real rags to riches experience. The holiday soundtrack is one of the best ones ever in my opinion. You could only have one spouse and your Sims got upset. You could become a superstar, but you needed to follow patterns. It was this story element that was so specific to this time that made it so great.

All Sims games are different, but we want a remastered Sims 1. I think you’d have an audience for it as well. I’d pay 35-40£ for a full collection (which is more than the average remaster on Steam). I don’t think you should change the graphics to 3D - think about other remasters and how they stayed true to their design flaws. The only add on I would request is the ability to age. It should be an option you can turn on because nothing was worse than having 5 children forever.

edit: autocorrect hates me

Message 24 of 29 (1,102 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It’s the nostalgia and sheer simplicity of the OG Sims games that I love the most. I love it’s 2D components, it’s easy-to-master gameplay, it’s ability for story telling, the expansions are arguably the best, and the sounds and music - the music is A+...

I honestly can’t believe you haven’t remastered it for use on new platforms, it’s really frustrating. I’d easily spend 100$ on the original with all of the expansions. SIMS online still has a huge community, thanks goodness for super-fans who released it THEMSELVES to keep the community alive.

the new ones are just too much going on for my ADHD brain. I loved the simplicity of it. The furniture, the accessories, the everything. 

Message 25 of 29 (880 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I believe what was the best feature of The Sims 1 was the options of playing Story Mode, and Free Play. And this is why Free Mode can be considered like The Sims 4’s usual build and chase after a Sim’s dream/goal, while Story Mode can be more clear and rewarding this would be amazing!

Message 26 of 29 (712 Views)

★★ Novice

Release it on GOG, keep it original just make it work on newer systems.

Message 27 of 29 (201 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Yes, plus Sims 1 is a small enough game that people could enjoy it on Android, Chromebook, Amazon Kindle Fire, and iOS. I fell in love with the Sims series with this game. If the Sims Complete collection were available for say, $5, as a prepaid full version, I think there would be a lot of interest. It has already been shown that Sims FreePlay, and Sims Mobile can coexist.  I understand a fan was interested in doing this, but his project was not given the green light. 

Message 28 of 29 (198 Views)

Champion

@userafw , the problem is that the original Sims would have to be remastered for either phone operating systems or newer PC OS. Neither Aspyr (who ported the original game for the Mac OS) or EA/Maxis have show any interest in remastering the game. Any "fan" remasters would probably require them to pay hefty licensing fees to EA. 

At this time, EA has deciding to spend their time and resources continuing Sims 4 and working on Project Rene.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 29 of 29 (163 Views)