Re: Problems adding CC to Sims 2

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Problems adding CC to Sims 2

★★★★★ Apprentice

I just bought an old copy of the Sims 2 on Ebay. It installed on my computer no problems and started right up with no issues at all. I followed instructions I found online to add CC and mods into the game. When I tried to restart the game it encountered and error and the game crashed. I tried multiple times and each time the same thing happened. Finally I looked up some trouble shooting ideas online and started to follow them, which only made things worse. First I tried the 4gb patch thing, nothing. Then I tried the graphic rules program download (sorry I dont remember the programs exact name now) and after that my game wouldnt even launch. It kept prompting me to download some compatible driver, which I had to google to look for. I found it and downloaded it and nothing. I then uninstalled the game from my computer, uninstalled the graphic rule program thing I had downloaded, and reinstalled the game. The game reinstalled fine, loaded up fine, I played it for a while with no issues. I closed the game down, created the download folder, added one mod and a few basic pieces of CC to the folder to test, and relaunched the game. Game failed to load because it crashed. I tried a few times with the same thing happening each time. I removed the download folder completely and the game launched no problems.

Is it still possible to add mods and CC to the Sims 2? If so can someone please tell me how? From what I was reading I simply needed to create a folder called Downloads in the Sims 2 folder and add my mods and CC to that folder (similiar to adding CC and Mods to Sims 4). Or am I missing something?

Id love to update the old game some with some CC skin, hair, and clothes! 

Message 1 of 5 (922 Views)

Hero

@Simmy86 Please let me know which packs do you have for The Sims 2, or if you just have the base game. If a piece of Mod or CC that you want requires a pack, it will not work if you're missing that pack.

Yes, to install Mods/CC for The Sims 2, all you have to do is create a Downloads folder in Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\. Mods/CC that come as .package files go there, unless the creator has special instructions to install them. If you have .Sims2Pack files, you can install them using The Sims 2 Package Installer, which should automatically launch when you open such a file.

As for the error you encountered after using Graphics Rules Maker; that program has a bug where, if you do not force texture memory, the game throws a DirectX 9.0c error, which I believe happened in your case. Sometimes it also happens if you try to launch the game in fullscreen for the first time, or if you have both integrated and dedicated graphics and the game automatically picks integrated.

Graphics Rules Maker is extremely useful when playing on modern hardware, but that is a bug that hasn't been fixed in the version available on the developer's site.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 5 (897 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I removed any files that ended in anything other than .package, made sure no premade sims or houses were included (even removed furniture related CC just to be on the safe side) and the game still crashes as soon as it launches. I remove the download folder and Im able to play normally. Are script mods suppose to go into a different folder? I noticed script mods show up red on clean installer (downloaded that thinking it would help me but it wasnt much help). 

When I bought it I thought I was buying the Complete game with all expansions because thats how it was advertized and it is a 4 disc set but I dont think thats what it actually is. Seeing as how hard it is to find working copies of these old games though, I didnt complain. The information in the game properties says:

Name: The Sims 2
Version: 1.0.0.1022
Build: ReleaseSRT-P

Message 3 of 5 (886 Views)

Hero

I don't know of any legit Complete collections for The Sims 2, aside from Ultimate Collection which was an Origin exclusive. If the seller said complete in their listing, it could have referred to everything being included in the box just like when it was new.

Regardless, if your game version is 1.0.0.1022 and the loading screen only shows The Sims 2 logo with the copyright notice saying 2004 under it, you only have the base game. Script mods also go into Downloads unless the creator says otherwise. I recommend checking if everything you have is base game compatible and, if it is but the game still crashes, to do a 50/50 search on your Downloads folder.

You can also check for any packs by looking for additional icons next to the neighborhood menu button in the top left, once you load a neighborhood. If you have any packs installed, there should be buttons for each EP's features, such as adding a University, Downtown, etc. even if they are greyed out.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 5 (875 Views)

Champion

@Simmy86 , if I remember correctly there was a base game release with 4 disks called Sims 2 Digital Deluxe which contained some items not found in the normal base game. If you only have the three original neighborhoods (Pleasantville, Veronaville and Strangeville) and no additional add on sub-neighborhoods (like Universitys, Downtown, vacation destinations) then you have the base game. 

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 5 (784 Views)