Re: Problem with installation

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Champion (Retired)

just wondering is it a good idea to try to apply the patches anyways in case of anything breaking? 

Message 11 of 19 (1,431 Views)

Champion

@Sunflowergal227 , always apply the patches before launching the game. That way if anything that was "broken" at the time of game release should be addressed in the patch. 

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 12 of 19 (1,420 Views)

★★ Novice

So I downloaded all the Sims 2 DVD patches, but the only one that won’t work is the apartment life one as I need the expansion pack to be installed, fair enough. However when I go to install this pack it still gives me the same messages!

“this product will now ensure that your existing installation is up to date”

then

”the update process did not complete successfully. Installation will now terminate.”

Guess I’ll have to try something else ): 

Message 13 of 19 (1,417 Views)

Champion

@Shn00zle , try this.

1) Insert your Sims 2 CD/DVD into your disk drive and open up your local hard drive.

2) Go to File, New Folder. Create a new folder and name this folder "Disk Images."

3) Go into the "Disk Images" folder and create another folder called "Disk1." If you're installing a version of The Sims 2 or an expansion/stuff pack with multiple disks, create folders for each disk. Label them "Disk2," "Disk3" and "Disk4." *Note* It is important you do not put a space in between "Disk" and the number you use.

4) Open up "My Computer" and select your Sims 2 CD. If the autorun comes up, cancel it as well as the installation.

5) Right-click The Sims 2 CD. Click "Explore."

6) Click on the "Edit" tab at the top of the window and choose "Select All." You can also press CTRL+A.

7) Click on the "Edit" tab again and select "Copy." CTRL+C also works.

8) Head into your "Disk1" folder. Go to the "Edit" tab and select "Paste." CTRL+V works as well. Continue until you've copied and pasted the information from all the disks into their appropriate folders.

9) Find the autorun file in the "Disk1" folder and double click it. This should install the game as normal. When you are finished, you can delete the "Disk Images" folder.

Tips

If you encounter any file transfer errors when copying and pasting, try cleaning your disk. If that fails, your disk is either scratched or corrupted.

Message 14 of 19 (1,413 Views)

★★ Novice

I don’t seem to have the “explore” option, is it displayed as something different? 

Message 15 of 19 (1,396 Views)

Champion

@Shn00zle , Try using the Control key plus one of the other shortcut keys listed in the instructions. For example "Control + V" is the short cut for "Paste".

Message 16 of 19 (1,389 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi!

So, I've spent the last 4 days with every type of problem with my sims 2 possible. 

I finally was able to get the update window to work out WITHOUT any patches and its super easy! 

I've tried the task manager and the patches they both didn't work. Even if the task manager one worked

my expansion packs didnt completely download and show up in the game.

so the simple and easy solution if you are still looking for it to work is whenever you install your games TURN OFF YOUR INTERNET!! 

Simple as that! It doesnt allow it to search for an update so whenever it goes to say something along the line its going to update and u click ok

It will pop up that it is up to date and boom! It works. 

If you were to try and download it with internet off and it doesnt work I would delete the files for each and then delete them from the registry and then reinstall with

no internet at all. Also it doesnt matter what order you download them! as long as the internet  is off Standard smile

(To anyone else using this I was fixing the for the CDS not the origin ultimate download)

Message 17 of 19 (1,030 Views)

Hero
@EtherealSkulls Although this is useful if you can’t get the game to patch, I highly recommend installing patches because some packs have major bugs in release versions and some of them (such as Crittur and Ottomas families) may even cause corruption in the neighborhood if the game is not patched.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 18 of 19 (1,012 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

I actually was able to get my game to patch by using these two videos! My game works perfectly and been able to use it for the past two days so far no glitches! 

The first video to follow would be this one to fix your resolution!

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yc-3rcM9oI&t=116s&ab_channel=Pixu

Now this is the video that will patch the game if you follow the instructions and do it correctly cause mine works!

2)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BRX0JlN8lM&t=281s&ab_channel=XUrbanSimsX

I really hope this helps anyone who needs it! Standard smile 

Message 19 of 19 (1,005 Views)