Problem installing The Sims complete collection

by rdenise94

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Problem installing The Sims complete collection

★★★ Newbie

Several years ago i bought The Sims complete collection and when i played it everything went ok. Then i uninstalled the game and now i'm not able to install it again. When i try to install the game, it says there is an unknown error and it arrests the installation. My operative system is the same of before (Windows 7) and the only difference is that my computer's graphics card's quality is better now.

What do you think the problem could be?

Message 1 of 9 (9,931 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Problem installing The Sims complete collection

★★★ Newbie
The installation haven't even started . I tried to run the installer in compatibility mode for windows xp but it didn't work. Anyway I found the solution online! The problem has been solved installing the program Windows XP Mode and running the installer (and then the game every time I want to play) using this mode. Beyond this, thank you to answered me.

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (10,344 Views)

All Replies

EA app Team

Hi @rdenise94,

I think the new graphics card shouldn't be a problem during the installation.

Could you try to run the installer in compatibility mode for Windows XP? Let me know if you have issues with that.

If it doesn't work, could you give us more details of the error? Does it happen during the installation, or the installation doesn't even start? Does the error message say anything else? (A screenshot would be helpful)

Thanks, and welcome to Answers HQ!

-Mai

Message 2 of 9 (9,919 Views)

★★ Novice

I think it might have something to do with Safedisc (it's a drm that was used in many games in the 2000s). Microsoft discontinued support for it with Windows 10 and an update for windows 7, 8 and 8.1 (I think). When you download Simcity 4 via disc, it just, won't install because Safedisc was discontinued. .

Message 3 of 9 (9,907 Views)

★★★ Newbie
The installation haven't even started . I tried to run the installer in compatibility mode for windows xp but it didn't work. Anyway I found the solution online! The problem has been solved installing the program Windows XP Mode and running the installer (and then the game every time I want to play) using this mode. Beyond this, thank you to answered me.
Message 4 of 9 (10,345 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have been having almost the same problem with trying to install my game to my laptop or computer. I have been through a few computers. I have read online that when you uninstall a disc, some files get left on the computer like in old data or whatever and all you have to do is boot your computer or something like that. Well, to the point, my computer that had this game on it is dead. But my issue is during installation on both my computer and my laptop. I am trying to put it on whichever one will take it. They both stop in the middle of the installation and give me an error: Cyclic redundancy check, a data error. I think it has to do with me trying to use the winzip program. I do not know how to use that program so I do not anymore. I have also tried the compatibility troubleshoot install and I made it to where it asks for the second disc, but then it gave me the same data error again. I mean I have been trying to do this for about two months or more now. I mean like I know the serial number by heart now. I kind of keep searching the net to see what I can find that I havent already tried, or whatever, and I just keep on trying. I have made much progress, but now Im just always getting stuck in the installation process. I am not very computer smart, so if anyone at all can just please help me just get this sims onto my device, I will gladly appreciate it. Its mainly a data issue, so maybe I am missing certain files, is there a way to reconstruct my disc, or fill in or download the files I am missing?? I am so frustrated with the fact that I do not know what I am doing and if I am making things worse or screwing up the discs more or even my computer all together.... Please help.

Thanks

Chassidy

Message 5 of 9 (9,328 Views)

★ Novice

I am having a problem is that I can't uninstall it, or re-install it, I get the same thing "unknown error...aborting installation" I was running it just fine in  with this PC which has windows 7 64 bit professional

The trouble began when I trying playing the game and it told me that I had installed an expansion after the complete collection and that it needed to update makin-magic. I've done some searches and I see it was trying to uninstall/reinstall it, only it didn't get that far, it couldn't- I got the unknown error.

Message 6 of 9 (9,035 Views)

★★★ Newbie

did anyone have a solution to this as it happened to me this morning 

It worked fine then at 7% showed a component transfer error and i new this meant i just needed to clean it (CD is basically brand new no scratches)

I did some research which suggested i should open in compatibility mode and since then it now shows the same error and closes the installation program 

Message 7 of 9 (5,900 Views)

Champion

@UCB21 , while I understand you are having problems installing Sims 2, please do not resurrect old threads that have been inactive for a year or so. This is against forum rules and I am going to have this thread locked. 

If you do find an old thread that is describing your problem, it is ok to link to said thread for reference, but please start a new thread in the future. Quite often the information in older threads is out of date.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 8 of 9 (5,879 Views)

EA DICE Team

I'm closing this thread to stop it being necroed.

If you have any issues with Sims 4 please make a new topic about the issues you are having and what kind of steps you have tried to solve it.

/Atic

Message 9 of 9 (5,857 Views)