Moving old neighborhoods to Ultimate

by UnrulyGirl11

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Moving old neighborhoods to Ultimate

★★ Novice

Hi,

I was able to download Ultimate with no problems. My question is if I can move my old sim files into Ultimate.

I've read around that replacing files won't work if you had ever downloaded the Store Edition before. (I wanted to confirm if this was true from someone actually from EA.)

I thought when I installed my old expansion packs in the past that I unchecked Store Edition so it wouldn't install, but I guess I must have done so since moving files doesn't seem to work.  Of course when I upgraded computers, I backed up all my old files. So I was able to move all my old neighborhoods onto my new computer earlier this year.

I was just wondering if maybe I did something wrong, or is it just not possible to play old neighborhoods into Ultimate?

Also just to clarify, I did uninstall all my previous Sims 2 games before installing Ultimate.

Thanks

Message 1 of 18 (4,152 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Moving old neighborhoods to Ultimate

Hero

Try this: http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/restore-sims-2-store-edi...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 3 of 18 (4,435 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

I am wondering the same thing...

Message 2 of 18 (4,122 Views)

Hero

Try this: http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/restore-sims-2-store-edi...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 18 (4,436 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks so much for the link, it worked for me!

Message 4 of 18 (4,111 Views)

Hero

Great to her.

Happy Simming Standard smile

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 18 (4,100 Views)

★ Novice

I checked out the "fix" posted here for those with the store edition. I have the store edition installed because EA offered it so I grabbed it !!  I dont have "DVDs of University Life Collection, Best of Business Collection and Fun with Pets Collection", (I have separate retail cds/dvds of each XP except for 3 Origin digitals). After finding out that my neighborhoods did not show up, i had to go thru hours of reinstall. So sick of that entire ordeal. I would rather use the UC, Is there a workaround for me? If not, PLEASE fix the UC to be compatible with my store edition saved games!! I have 4 gigs / 10 yrs worth of Sims2 dedication n stuff.

Message 6 of 18 (4,044 Views)

Hero

That's the only thing I have but maybe snw has another idea.

Where exatly does the solution not work for you (and no sorry, haven't really read it :D)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 18 (4,042 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi crin,

I know exactly what mgamer03's talking about. I had the same problem and I posted details of it to another post with a user who had the same issue, but for whom the fix was successful. 

In the beginning of the fix tutorial, the following requirements are described:

Before following this guide, we assume:

• You previously had the Store Edition installed. This came with the DVDs of University Life CollectionBest of Business Collection and Fun with Pets Collection. That means if you had any of those collections installed from disc, you can proceed. If you only used Origin versions of these, you're out of luck.
  • You have restored your earlier save game, but when starting the game your neighborhoods aren't there.
  • You still have the disc of one of University Life CollectionBest of Business Collection and Fun with Pets Collection. And a DVD drive.

If any of these conditions are not met, the fix does not work. In my case, as well mgamer03, we do not have disc versions of University Life Collection, Best of Business Collection, or Fun with Pets Collection. If I understand correctly, both mgamer03 and I have the original expansion pack discs, which were not collections of stuff packs bundled with the expansion packs. In my case, I have only the original "The Sims 2 Pets" expansion pack, and not "The Sims 2: Fun with Pets Collection," and so our installation discs lack the EP99 folder content, which is the content needed to be able to apply the fix for game data built on game setups including the Store Edition. Rather, we both acquired The Sims 2 Store edition separately from Origin.

Message 8 of 18 (4,012 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

But you do not have a solution if the preconditions are not met ?

Also how did you get the Store Edition ? Could you download that ? (I have no clue about this stuff)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 18 (3,998 Views)

★★★ Novice

I got store edition directly from Origin after its initial release on EA. I don't think it is supported anymore.

Before the days of Origin, there was something called the Sims 2 online store. There, you could download and install game content as long as you install "The Sims 2 Store Edition." Basically, it was a way to get extra game content without purchasing additional expansion packs. The actual online store was taken offline shortly before Origin came online, and through Origin, one could download "The Sims 2 Store Edition."

Here is an image of the game icon in Origin:

Store Edition in Origin

This "Store Edition" Release was also included in certain later installations of The Sims 2 Expansion pack collections. For example, originally, the "Pets" expansion pack was released as a standalone installation package; however, later on, EA began releasing collections, which were expansion packs bundled with stuff packs, which includes the re-release of the "Pets" expansion pack as "The Sims 2: Fun with Pets Collection," which includes not only the "Pets" expansion pack, but also two stuff packs, "Mansion and Garden Stuff," and "Family Fun Stuff." I believe two other such collections were released. One was bundled with the "University" expansion pack, and one bundled with the "Open for Business" expansion pack. Each of these collections were also packaged with an installation of the "Store Edition." These collections were released in two installation formats: one through Origin, and one by disc.

The fix described in that webpage only works if a user has a disc installation of one of those three collections. This is because they contain the original installation files for the "Store Edition," which are required to apply the fix. These are contained in a set of files listed under "EP99." In my case, I have two collections obtained through Origin. As they were installed through origin, and not by disc, I do not have access to the installation files or their contents, which would have contained the "EP99" content and directory. I also have an disc-installation of the original "Pets" expansion pack, which did not include a copy of "Store Edition," and thus, also lacks the necessary "EP99" content needed to apply the fix.

Message 10 of 18 (3,982 Views)