Re: Can't get Sims Medieval to recognize video card

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't get Sims Medieval to recognize video card

★ Apprentice

Hi! I have just launched The Sims Medieval on this PC for the first time, and got the (expected) 'video card not recognized' message. I have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060.

So I went through the same steps as I did for TS3: I opened GraphicsCards.sgr, searched for vendor "NVIDIA" 0x10b4 0x12d2 0x10de and added card 0x2503 "RTX 3060"
After that, I opened the GraphicsRules.sgr and changed the lines near the top to: seti textureMemory 6144 and # setb textureMemorySizeOK false.

I then searched for GTS 4?? above the Uber section and changed it to RTX 30?? (so it's or match("${cardName}", "*RTX 30??*")) now). 

I saved everything, double-checked to make sure it saved correctly and then launched the game again. When I opened my DeviceConfig.log to check if it worked, it still said NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 [Found: 0, Matched: 0]

Does anyone know how this is possible? Did I do something wrong or miss a step? I do not have any mods in my game. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 9 (2,901 Views)

Accepted Solution

★ Apprentice
@mate54 I edited both GraphicsDB.sgr and GraphicsCards.sgr, just in case. I also just changed the texture memory to 1024 MB. I had no idea the game can't use more than that, so thank you for that tip!

I'm also... an idiot. The game was automatically installed in Dutch (my first language) but I changed the language to English using Origin. This apparently generated a new folder as well, which I hadn't noticed, so I have been looking at the wrong DeviceConfig.log this whole time...

Long story short: it is now working! I'm sorry for not noticing sooner and I want to thank you for your help @mate54!

View in thread

Message 8 of 9 (2,750 Views)

All Replies

Champion

@pxelskies , so you added the exact same code as you did to get your Sims 3 to run? I'd double to check to make sure your coding is correct and that you added the proper lines in the proper places. I'm afraid I've never had to edit my GraphicsCard.sgr for either game, so just trying to troubleshoot from what you stated you did.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 9 (2,873 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you for your reply @Tremayne4260! I did add the exact same code as I did to get TS3 to run. I just restored my backups and did the whole thing again, double-checked to make sure everything was correct, but my DeviceConfig still says [Found: 0, Matched: 0].

I did notice another small difference, though. My TS3 DeviceConfig says 

Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Name (database): RTX 3060 

while my TSM DeviceConfig says

Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Do you think there is any chance this might be why it's not working? I'm honestly not sure what to do anymore. 

Message 3 of 9 (2,840 Views)

Champion

@pxelskies , that very well could be the problem. Try to change it and see if that helps.

Message 4 of 9 (2,813 Views)

Hero
@pxelskies It doesn't really matter what the card is called in the database.

Do you mind posting screenshots of the edits you made to the files, as well as the screenshot of the part of the config log related to the Graphics Device Info?

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 9 (2,795 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for your replies guys!

@mate54 Alright, that's good to know. Here are the screenshots of the edits I've made. I hope these are clear enough!

DeviceConfig:

DeviceConfig.PNG

GraphicsCards:

GraphicsCards.PNG

Message 6 of 9 (2,784 Views)

Hero

@pxelskies Just to recap, did you edit GraphicsDB.sgr or GraphicsCards.sgr? I believe the second one is the up to date version that the game actually reads, so please add the card to that one if you haven't already.

I am not sure why the game is not picking up texture memory, though. Although I would recommend setting it to 1024 MB because that is as high as The Sims 3 (and presumably, Medieval) can use.

Finally, in GraphicsRules.sgr, it seems like you only have two question marks after 3 (the part where it is supposed to match the card name), so please make sure it reads either "*RTX 3???*" or "*RTX 3060*" (either should be fine as long as the game can match it to the GraphicsCards entry).

When you edited these files, did the text editor let you save these files as .sgr files without any errors? Sometimes it might offer to save them as .txt files which the game won't read.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 9 (2,772 Views)

★ Apprentice
@mate54 I edited both GraphicsDB.sgr and GraphicsCards.sgr, just in case. I also just changed the texture memory to 1024 MB. I had no idea the game can't use more than that, so thank you for that tip!

I'm also... an idiot. The game was automatically installed in Dutch (my first language) but I changed the language to English using Origin. This apparently generated a new folder as well, which I hadn't noticed, so I have been looking at the wrong DeviceConfig.log this whole time...

Long story short: it is now working! I'm sorry for not noticing sooner and I want to thank you for your help @mate54!
Message 8 of 9 (2,751 Views)

Champion

@pxelskies , Hurray! It works again! 

Message 9 of 9 (2,736 Views)