Can I run the Sims 2 on my virtual machine?

by ScreenName000001

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can I run the Sims 2 on my virtual machine?

★★ Apprentice

Hi guys!

This is farfetched so please bare with me!

I just bought a 2020 MacBook Pro

Running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

1,4 Ghz Intel Core i5 quad-core 

16 Go of RAM

Intel Iris Plus Graphics

I once received a code to play the Sims 2 Ultimate collection. Unfortunately, this link only allow me to play the game with a pc. I'm feeling nostalgic and I would like to try to play the game on my Mac. So far I've downloaded the .iso file of Windows 10 Pro. and virtualized it with VM Ware Fusion 8. I've download origin, I've downloaded The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on the virtual machine and when I launch the game, I can hear the music and I can see and move the mouse cursor but I can't see the game. When I use the app switcher, I can see a frozen image of the game, like the loading screen. But if I click on the app (from the app switcher) it goes back to black. To avoid this, I run the game using the compatibility mode with Windows 8. At this point, I can see the loading screen and go as far as selecting the town I want to play with. When the town is loaded up, I see flashing pink on the ground and if I load a house, the game also glitch with a pink basement fondation. 

I found this online to try to fix it : https://pleasantsims.com/sims-2-windows-10/ 

I've successfully installed the patch but still have the same issue. 

Let me know if there is a Simmer out there that have the ability to help me tweak my virtual machine so I can play The Sims 2!

Message 1 of 7 (3,833 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can I run the Sims 2 on my virtual machine?

★★ Apprentice

I've installed Windows 10 in dual booth instead. The graphics are ok. I've change the default settings and I'm able so play in 1440 X 900.

pdp10 from Redit explained it well enough for me to understand that the Virtual Machines can not run the graphics like I thought they could.(https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/hdaj63/virtual_machine_for_gaming/)

Anyway, now the issue is that now there is a HUGE world that just open to me and I don't have the courage to invest so much time in this game. It look so fun! I don't have enough of this life to play all the Sims I wish to play. 

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (3,820 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice

I've installed Windows 10 in dual booth instead. The graphics are ok. I've change the default settings and I'm able so play in 1440 X 900.

pdp10 from Redit explained it well enough for me to understand that the Virtual Machines can not run the graphics like I thought they could.(https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/hdaj63/virtual_machine_for_gaming/)

Anyway, now the issue is that now there is a HUGE world that just open to me and I don't have the courage to invest so much time in this game. It look so fun! I don't have enough of this life to play all the Sims I wish to play. 

Message 2 of 7 (3,821 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@ScreenName000001 While I cannot help much with running The Sims 2 on the virtual machine, I can suggest two other options to play it on Mac:

1. The Sims 2 Super Collection, which is available on Mac App Store and is natively supported on Mac, but it is missing FreeTime and Apartment Life EPs, as well as SPs released after Happy Holiday Stuff.

2. Installing Windows 10 with Bootcamp (if you have enough space) and downloading The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin. If you choose this option, please be aware that you will have to use Graphics Rules Maker to fix the resolution and other graphics issues that might arise from incompatible hardware, as well as 4GB Patch which should allow the game to use >2GB RAM (do not use Compatibility mode as it undoes 4GB Patch). Both are described on Pleasant Sims website. I suggest that you do not try any other compatibility fixes except those two, unless absolutely necessary. 

EDIT: took me a while to type this and the solution has been found xD

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 7 (3,817 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@mate54 Thanks! Yes, I did installed to 4GB patch on the virtual machine but not the on the dual booth. I'll give this a try. Maybe I will pass all night playing. I'll keep you posted!
Message 4 of 7 (3,808 Views)

Champion

@ScreenName000001 , just to let you know, as long as you have a copy of Windows, you can run Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on a Virtual Machine on a Mac. I do it and have no problems. I use Parallels to run Windows and the game runs fine.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 7 (3,788 Views)

★★★ Novice

I know it works properly on Windows 7 so maybe get an ISO for that and see if it works

Message 6 of 7 (3,213 Views)

Champion

@OrangeBlock0241 , it runs on Windows XP and Windows 7 just fine. You just need to have a proper code to register either version of Windows and a program like Parallels to run Windows on your Mac without Bootcamping. Standard smile

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 7 (3,194 Views)