Re: Bring back Sims 2... for a price

by JanePhoenix

Original Post

Bring back Sims 2... for a price

★ Novice

I spent my paycheck on Sims 2... Codes don't work. They were brand new, wrapped in the original tape and everything. The codes weren't even used, it just said "invalid" when I typed it in. It sucks, I spent my paycheck on these sims 2 games and they don't even work because EA shut down the codes for all of Sims 2. I'd pay as much as EA wanted me to in order to play the one series I missed out on. I have pretty much all Sims 3 and Sims 4 games including expansion packs. I have old Sims gameboy and DS games. Even for the Wii! I'm such an avid lover of the Sims and I just want an opportunity to play the Sims 2. I was so excited, I came home and opened my new Sims games that were in my mailbox. Come upstairs - enter the codes and nothing. I'm so let down, I actually started crying. I just want to play the game I wasn't able to play when I was younger because I didn't have the money (and now I do). 

Message 1 of 9 (897 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@LaurenRoseFlower I'm not sure Sims 2 was ever released through Origin, otherwise the codes would work for sure. Is that where you're trying to redeem the code? Didn't you receive install discs with your package? It should just run by itself without needing to redeem the code through Origin.
Message 2 of 9 (880 Views)

@JanePhoenix Sims 2 was released on the Origin store as Sims 2: Ultimate Collection. It was retired at some point from the store, but not before being offered in a mass giveaway. For a while was still granted via live chat support to anyone that could offer a proof of purchase that had the base game and all the expansions and stuff packs. 

The discs are useless on Windows 10 because Microsoft blocked the old copy protection drivers and Sims 2 had SafeDisc as a copy protection (which is one of the blocked drivers), hence preventing the games to install from disc. 

@LaurenRoseFlower if you can provide a proof of purchase for the base game and all of the expansions and stuff packs released, support may add Sims 2: Ultimate Collection. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes people are still managing to get it added in the Origin client via live chat support. Worth a try, i'd say. 

There are two legal methods to make the discs to work, but they do require some actual knowledge of how to create a dual-boot PC or how to use Virtual Machine. The easiest way is to have a dual-boot system, which runs two Operating Systems (Windows 10 and Windows 7, the second being used for older games and it needs to be run from a different hard drive). Using Virtual Machine is a wee bit more complicated and recommended only if you have a pretty good knowledge of the said software and how to install in it an working Operating System that would run via VM. 

For now, those are your options.

I agree that would be nice to see Sims, Sims 2 and the Sims Stories (Life Stories, Pet Stories and Castaway Stories) re-released and sold in the store. Those are often requested by the fans, but so far it did not happen. I loved the original Sims and the Sims Stories series, but the discs broke at some point, so they were unusable. So i would buy them again if they would be re-released. I was one of the lucky ones to be aware of the mass giveaway for Sims 2 when it was retired, so i've added it at the time to my Origin game library. The giveaway was many years ago and since Sims 2 stayed out of the store. No one complained until recently, as the disc versions could still be found and still worked in Windows 7. When the Windows 10 was released and many of us were forced to upgrade so we could play the newer games, we discovered that a lot of our old games won't work in Windows 10. We have MS to thank for that... 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 3 of 9 (874 Views)
Highlighted

Hero (Retired)
Ah, thanks @ivrognard. I had no idea MS had been blocking those copyright drivers in Windows 10. Of course @LaurenRoseFlower didn't specify Windows 10, but that would make sense.

Here's a guide for dual-booting, in case you do have a Windows 7 license that can still be used - https://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/
Message 4 of 9 (869 Views)

@JanePhoenix SecuROM, SafeDisc, TAGES and StarForce copy protection drivers are blocked in Windows 10. They were deemed a security risk for the OS, so they were blocked and prevented to install from any disc that would have those. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 5 of 9 (863 Views)

EA DICE Team

@ivrognard @LaurenRoseFlower @JanePhoenix

I hate to be a party pooper, but we've since completely retired Sims 2. Support also won't be able to grant codes anymore. More info is available, here:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-2/ending-code-support-for-the-sims-2-ultimate-colle...

Hopefully the suggestions by JanePhoenix and Ivrognard will help to still get the game running!

Message 6 of 9 (818 Views)

@Straatford87 thanks for the update. I will keep in mind the policy change. But, i will still hope that at some point those old Sims titles will make their way back into the store. Keeping the faith until the bitter endEmbarrassed

Message 7 of 9 (816 Views)

★ Novice
@LaurenRoseFlower I was able to get my Sims 2 to work on Windows 10
Message 8 of 9 (650 Views)

★ Novice
@ivrognard wrong. I got my Sims 2 to work just fine on Windows 10, just run the discs under windows xp compatibility
Message 9 of 9 (647 Views)