Age restrictions for online game play

by mrbng

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Age restrictions for online game play

★ Novice
MY 11YR OLD NEPHEW JUST PURCHASED A USED COPY OF SKATE 3 ON XBOX AND IS UNABLE TO PLAY ONLINE WITH HIS FRIENDS DUE TO HIS AGE. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SINCE THE GAME IS RATED T. WHO IS EA TO DECIDE WHAT GAMES PEOPLE CAN PLAY WHEN ACTIVISION AND HIS PARENTS ALLOW HIM TO PLAY COD. HE'S PRETTY UPSET AND DISAPPOINTED WITH EA RIGHT NOW
Message 1 of 21 (38,356 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Age restrictions for online game play

Community Manager (retired)

If you're receiving an error restricting you from access to areas--or the entirety--of your any of your games due to any sort of "Underage Error," this is caused by a problem with the Date of Birth on your Xbox LIVE account, which was entered during registration.

Unfortunately, our team is unable to assist with errors of this nature as they originate with your Xbox and its configuration, rather than the game being played.

For more information on Xbox LIVE online safety and privacy settings and child account settings (set by Xbox for users under the age of 18), please go here.

Please know that changing the parental permissions and other settings does not guarantee access to the servers, as Xbox may still deny access based on the age on the account. For further assistance or information regarding this error, please contact Xbox Support.

View in thread

Message 2 of 21 (38,506 Views)

All Replies

If you're receiving an error restricting you from access to areas--or the entirety--of your any of your games due to any sort of "Underage Error," this is caused by a problem with the Date of Birth on your Xbox LIVE account, which was entered during registration.

Unfortunately, our team is unable to assist with errors of this nature as they originate with your Xbox and its configuration, rather than the game being played.

For more information on Xbox LIVE online safety and privacy settings and child account settings (set by Xbox for users under the age of 18), please go here.

Please know that changing the parental permissions and other settings does not guarantee access to the servers, as Xbox may still deny access based on the age on the account. For further assistance or information regarding this error, please contact Xbox Support.

Message 2 of 21 (38,507 Views)

★ Novice
Hello,
I appreciate your response. If what you are telling me is true, please tell me why he is able to play every COD title that was released, as well as Halo, which is a Microsoft title. Both franchises are rated M. The only two titles released for XBox 360 that I have seen "age restriction" messages on are Battlfield 3 and Skate 3, both EA titles.
Message 3 of 21 (38,076 Views)

★★ Novice
He's able to play all the others because there's no age restrictions,I don't understand how if u buy a game ur allowed to play by ur self but not online,so please please fix this,I have the same problem and I am NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH EA RIGHT NOW BECAUSE OF IT.So please please get it fixed or do something.
Message 4 of 21 (37,944 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same problem here.  I've invested HOURS trying to correct this ignorant problem.  I've changed my 12 year old son's age on his Xbox live account and on his EA profile to 20 years old.  I'M the BOSS, not EA.  I say he is old enough to play skate 3 online with his friends.  He plays it just fine not on line.  Why would they restrict on line play if me being the parent says he can play the game at all.  I cleared the cache on his Xbox, too.  Nothing works.  His friends all play on line and he can't because of some stupid glitch.  This is the only game he owns that does this.  It was purchased brand new.  He has a couple of M games that we let him play like COD and Halo.  This is pure nonsense.  If you google this problem, dozens of instances come up, yet EA says it is Microsoft.  Sounds like someone doesn't want to own up to a mistake.

Message 5 of 21 (37,850 Views)

[ Edited ]

@OwVersh wrote:

Same problem here.  I've invested HOURS trying to correct this ignorant problem.  I've changed my 12 year old son's age on his Xbox live account and on his EA profile to 20 years old.  I'M the BOSS, not EA.  I say he is old enough to play skate 3 online with his friends.  He plays it just fine not on line.  Why would they restrict on line play if me being the parent says he can play the game at all.  I cleared the cache on his Xbox, too.  Nothing works.  His friends all play on line and he can't because of some stupid glitch.  This is the only game he owns that does this.  It was purchased brand new.  He has a couple of M games that we let him play like COD and Halo.  This is pure nonsense.  If you google this problem, dozens of instances come up, yet EA says it is Microsoft.  Sounds like someone doesn't want to own up to a mistake.

I think that is where the problem lies:

Note The age of an account owner is calculated by using the date of birth provided when the account was created. This date cannot be changed.
Source Promote a child account to an adult account in Xbox 360

Message 6 of 21 (37,840 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ea , my Xbox live account says I'm an adult. YET I CANT PLAY ONLINE!!!! FIX THIS!!!

Message 7 of 21 (35,784 Views)

★★ Novice
Ea why are you so against kids
Message 8 of 21 (35,350 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Please tell me how to change your ea account to a higher age. My son has the same problem with battlefront and some other games. I would be grateful if you help me.

thanks

Message 9 of 21 (34,095 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm so angry and upset that I cant go online. Why is it that we can play by our self's but cant play online because of the age restriction. My dad went on Microsoft and changed the game restriction to 18 years but I still cant go online! I wasted 20 dollars on this game pretty much because I cant go online. At least tell me how my dad and I can fix it please.

Message 10 of 21 (31,188 Views)