Trade Depots not exporting/importing

by Larklen1337

Original Post

Re: Trade Depots not exporting/importing

★ Apprentice

Cool - just bear in mind that if the problem turns out to be staffing-levels, then it's not really a bug (and the 'problem-solved' link to the post about this and the recycling-centre may not be truly accurate anymore). IMHO, the recycling centre's problems also include the self-same staff issue (plus a couple of other interactions) - some folks are missing the whole underlying staff situation (no thanks to Maxis for making it a tad difficult to see staff shortages), and calling 'bug' as a result. Me included, at first. Now my eyes are a little more opened.

Having said that, there are still some big issues with regards to the over-simplified way that sims find jobs each day (any job, anywhere) and return home to any house, regardless of who 'owns' it - and the fact that this makes everything a tad hollow - but that's another issue entirely! Standard smile

Do let me know how you get on with the staff in your trade-depot - if it isn't that, then I'd be happy to concur we've run out of options, and 'bug' is duly called-for! Standard smile

Message 11 of 51 (7,037 Views)

★ Guide

@tinybigjacko wrote:

Cool - just bear in mind that if the problem turns out to be staffing-levels, then it's not really a bug (and the 'problem-solved' link to the post about this and the recycling-centre may not be truly accurate anymore). IMHO, the recycling centre's problems also include the self-same staff issue (plus a couple of other interactions) - some folks are missing the whole underlying staff situation (no thanks to Maxis for making it a tad difficult to see staff shortages), and calling 'bug' as a result. Me included, at first. Now my eyes are a little more opened.

Having said that, there are still some big issues with regards to the over-simplified way that sims find jobs each day (any job, anywhere) and return home to any house, regardless of who 'owns' it - and the fact that this makes everything a tad hollow - but that's another issue entirely! Standard smile

Do let me know how you get on with the staff in your trade-depot - if it isn't that, then I'd be happy to concur we've run out of options, and 'bug' is duly called-for! Standard smile

Place a recycling center, it says hiring. Then after it hires sims (you can see them walking around) it goes to no products to recycle. It never sends the trucks. This is BROKEN.

Message 12 of 51 (7,027 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have same problem, but my trucks stuck on the highway and nothing can repair it. I try to destroy all my depots and run game again, but after this trucks again move out from the city and stuck in same place on highway :O

Message 13 of 51 (7,021 Views)

★ Apprentice

rsqviper wrote: Place a recycling center, it says hiring. Then after it hires sims (you can see them walking around) it goes to no products to recycle. It never sends the trucks. This is BROKEN.

With respect, I don't think this is broken. I think maybe you've misunderstood it, possibly, and mean that in the nicest possible way.

When you've first plopped the centre and it's staffed, there is no recyclable material there yet because none has been collected - so the 'nothing to recycle' warning is appropriate at that time. I think we're both agreed on that, yes?

However, the crucial point 'it never sends the trucks' is - in my experience - not true. It can depend on when the centre has been populated; what time of day things are at. You may have to wait a bit - worst case, maybe even a whole game-day.

The recycling centre normally sends out trucks at 5am in the morning. I'm not sure whether it'll make you wait all day for that time to come around again, or whether it will immediately start sending out trucks if, say, you plopped the recycling centre at 5:05am and had a full complement of staff in place by 5:10am.

But in my experience, the collecting trucks leave the centre at 5am and enter their 'collection-phase' and then at around 4 or 5pm (I need to clarify that for myself), the 'collecting phase will end, all trucks will return to offload and garage for the night.

During the collection phase, trucks will gather until they are filled (3 tons). If they are filled, they will return to the centre and drop off whatever they can: the full 3 tons if there is room; if not enough room, then it'll drop as much as it can to refill the hopper (if the intake hopper at the centre is nearly filled, say to 18.6 tons, a filled truck will drop off 1.4 ton, fill the material hopper and leave with 1.6 tons on board, and continue collecting, return again when it's filled itself to 3 tons once more).

Also, the existence of 'walking around sims' at the recycling centre is no guarantee that it is fully populated. Graphically, you can't be sure - the only way you can really tell is to pop up the data view (Population) and see how many workers are there. The RC will take around 60 staff, and I believe that the quantity and distribution of that staff directly affects the speed of the reclamation-production cycle (i.e. less workers or wrong balance of workers = slower production process = intake hopper emptied slower = trucks unable to drop off). Similarly, on the output phase, if there is no downstream demand or space for the output materials (alloy/plastic/metal) then an output ramp's storage area will be filled, and the entire production process stalls, until there is a place for the delivery truck(s) to take that output material.

The reclamation process runs all night, if necessary, even after the collection-phase is over and the trucks are all garaged. The trucks will keep trying to offload their cargo of recyclables well into the night, if the production process is slow/stopped, but they generally do it to completion if it is possible. They will garage with less-than-1 ton on board if necessary, possibly even fully loaded if the production is entirely stopped - but I think all overnighted loads are lost in the morning at 5am when they leave on another collection phase.

Once the intake materials hopper is empty (ie Materials is zero on the dialog window) the RC plant will show the original red warning that there is no recyclable material and production is stopped. As soon as the first truck returns with some material sometime after leaving at 5am, this will go away again, and production will restart.

The only time I have seen a real bug with this so far, is when the output stage has been blocked due to nowhere downstream to take the output goods (e.g. a Trade Depot with plastics/metals/alloy storage areas and room for new deliveries). In the one time it glitched for me, the orange floating icons showing that the output process had stopped, didn't go away (though the processes themselves appear to have restarted). I simply went into edit mode on the RC, and selected each ramp in turn and then turned them off and on again. Icons cleared, production cycle (end-to-end) was working again. Not had any problems since.

I'm not totally convinced there are major, game-breaking bugs with recycling yet. There are some tricksy things to watch out for, and some impacting elements which are not made overtly clear by the game GUI, but that's not quite a gamebreaking bug to me. It could be better, though, I agree - but knowing its vagaries has helped me make a few million Simoleons out of my RC plant, and so far, so good!

Hope this helps.

Message 14 of 51 (7,005 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeh, just because your recycling center has some empoyees, doesn't mean it has enough to operate effectivly, check the population data layer in the day time when the workers are on shift. You can get clues from the detailed population table, if you have a deficit of low wealth workers (an excess of low wealth jobs), this is probably the problem. There are other bugs with the delivery trucks, so watch out you're not falling victim of the "dissapearing delivery trucks after a disaster" bug.

Message 15 of 51 (6,999 Views)

★★ Novice

Confirmed a bug. I have all the processors sitting in the depot and never get out, there is no trucks coming out from the depot, traffics are all good. Please fix.

Message 16 of 51 (6,997 Views)

★ Guide

@renegade0260 wrote:

Yeh, just because your recycling center has some empoyees, doesn't mean it has enough to operate effectivly, check the population data layer in the day time when the workers are on shift. You can get clues from the detailed population table, if you have a deficit of low wealth workers (an excess of low wealth jobs), this is probably the problem. There are other bugs with the delivery trucks, so watch out you're not falling victim of the "dissapearing delivery trucks after a disaster" bug.

Then also explain that no matter where it's placed, it is broken. I've moved it several times. It has always worked, now no matter where it is, even with a LARGER population, it is broken and will not run.

Message 17 of 51 (6,989 Views)

★ Apprentice

rsqviper wrote: Then also explain that no matter where it's placed, it is broken. I've moved it several times. It has always worked, now no matter where it is, even with a LARGER population, it is broken and will not run.

If - in your case - it's not staff levels that's the problem, then positioning won't make any difference. You've not responded with regards to the timing issues, so it's impossible to explain much unless you elaborate on your situation. If, for example, you're repositioning the RC at midnight, staffing it immediately, and expecting either Angel a recyclable-materials production-run to start immediately or (b) the pickup trucks to go out immediately, then you'll be frustrated. In the case of Angel there won't be anything to process until the trucks have been out and returned with materials. In the case of (b) they'll go out at 5am on the next cycle (presuming all other factors: staff, power, available output storage, etc have been satifisfied).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying there ISN'T a bug. I just don't have sufficient evidence (either from other people, or personally-gathered) to call it one yet.

Message 18 of 51 (6,965 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm not having issues with the recycling center, but with the trade  port. The trade port is connected via water and heavy freight rail, but only ships out the good via trucks. Ive sat and looked at it for an entire day and neither have operated causing my port to become full.

Message 19 of 51 (6,952 Views)

★★ Novice

This post states trade depots not recycling centers..so NO it's not solved.

Message 20 of 51 (6,940 Views)